Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

I Am So Sick Of This Happening!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I Am So Sick Of This Happening!!!

Something I try to remember is cell phones almost all have cameras now. Also in some cases I'd be inclined to let the air out of the tire(s) of the other car to make sure it stayed put. But that's risky, they may be so mad they take it out on my car or me. We often leave one of us with the car when it's a quick stop. We have also chose to not go somewhere because of the parking situation. Sorry for the troubles.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Forum Regular
Location: Brentwood, CA (no not the OJ Simpson Brentwood, the real city of Brentwood in NorCal)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was young I had a beautifully restored (by my father and I) 1967 Mustang. I was parked at a business with my girlfriend in the car, and this older lady in giant brand new Caddy parks next to us, throws her door open (that's almost as large as my car) and it slams right into the passenger door on my Mustang. She says "Opps, looks like we hit" and she hurries off. I get out of the car and of course there's a large chips and small ding/dent.

I'd have plenty of a-holes do similar things before this, but never could catch them, and I was fuming mad at this lady. I was going to wait for her to come back to her car and have a chat with her, but the damage was already done, so let's just say when we left the parking lot, she had a new racing stripe down the side of her car....revenge is best served cold.

Disclaimer: I was 19 when this incident occurred, now I would just call the cops and make the culprit take responsibility for their ignorance.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:58 AM

get some elastic string and one of the long round foam thingys that kids use in a pool- put plastic clip on each side and attack to the side facing other cars (or use one for each side) it protects your car well and fits in trunk since it folds(bends) xxC

Old 10-01-2008, 10:07 AM

$1200, Yikes. I agree with othes, if there is no paint damage, it can be fixed much cheaper. I had 4 door dings and a dent on my hood (from a flying broom of which we wont speak of) taken out for $80. It pays to have a friend that owns a car lot! But, still they should not be more than $100 a dent.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny story that i have about this. I just bought a 05 srt-6 love the thing. Two days ago i went to the local grocie store and when i came out a piece of **** thing i dont even know what it was, was about 3 inches away from my passenger side door. I look to see if he opened his door and hit my car. Yep sure enough there was a dent. I wish i took a picture cause i dont know how this guy got out he was so close. Well i was furious about this so i took a watermellon that i just bought and threw it through his front windshield. This guy hopefully will never due stupid things like this again. Make sure if you see a black srt near miami dont hit it.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Forum Regular

sorry to hear that.. i had one also

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ight=door+ding

Old 10-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

SCOTT B...when the police run a license plate...they run it on a national basis...they should have had a return on that plate at the scene in minutes...they just didn't want to give you the name or address probably because you were angry and there wasn't any witnesses...but if you had that info, you could have contacted the owners, which sometimes are the parents, who can usually get the truth from their children...just a thought from an cop....

Old 11-26-2008, 06:31 PM

I can relate!

I believe the letter I wrote the perp best sums it up:

My name is Brian James and I live in apartment xxxx.

I'm writing because I believe you backed into my car on Thursday, October 23rd.

The damage is fairly minor, just a few scratches and scuffs, but significant enough that I need to repair it.

While standing on the couch, adjusting his ceiling fan, my neighbor heard a smacking sound. When he looked out the window, he witnessed your car drive away from the accident. This was at 10:45pm. My neighbor alerted me shortly after and I took pictures of the damage.

Later that night (about three in the morning on the 24th), my neighbor saw the same car drive through the lot and park on the end of the strip. When he went out to inspect the damage to your vehicle, they found a police detective patroling our parking lot. They told the detective what had happened and the detective inspected the damage on both cars. He noticed some damage on your car was fresh and your paint rubbed off on my bumper, where it remains, today. Upon inspection of the damage, the detective decided he needed to speak with you. While questioning you, that morning, you told him you'd left the house at about 10:45pm. This was the same time as the accident. On the evening of the 24th, I took pictures of the damage to your vehicle.

The detective wrote down some information for me, including your name and phone number.

I have been told to simply file a police report and allow my insurance company to handle the claim, but I would like to give you the opportunity to take care of this without dealing with the court. The detective told me the punishment for leaving the scene of an accident is a $700 and points off the driver's license, which seems like a lot considering the damage is not very significant.

Would you be able to meet me in the parking lot, where we can discuss what happened? I need to know rather or not you will cover the repair for the damage done to my vehicle.

My phone number is 913-xxx-xxxx.

Please contact me on tonight (Wednesday), Thursday or Friday. If I have not spoken with you by Friday afternoon, I will call you at 913-xxx-xxxx. If I have not spoken with you by Saturday morning, I will need to file the police report.

Thank you.
She followed up right away, thanking me for my discretion. She agreed to cover the damages. I'm going to get the damage repaired in the next two weeks.

Man, I've got some awesome neighbors! They'll be receiving fantastic wine for the holidays!

DSCN1061.jpg

DSCN1064.jpg

Last edited by IRSmurf; 11-26-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:46 AM
Forum Regular

It just plain sucks that some people do not care about others property! They probably don't care about theirs either! Good luck on hunting for this scumbag.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm glad it worked out in your favor. Next time you arrange to meet a "perp", I'd advise taking a friend as a witness. You never know what could happen (they could be unstable...or you could after they hit your XF).

A few years ago in Detroit some clown tried to sneak into traffic behind me and when I stopped, he hit me at less than 5 mph. Just enough to scratch the rear fascia in a couple places. We exchanged registration and insurance cards and I noticed his insurance had long expired. Long story short -- I suggested he pay me $500 to fix the vehicle and he met me 1/2 later with the money. A bit of a risk if he did not show up as there were no witnesses, but he was scared and I did not give him time to think it over. It cost $490 to fix the rear.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Received 517 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by IRSmurf
I can relate!

I believe the letter I wrote the perp best sums it up:

She followed up right away, thanking me for my discretion. She agreed to cover the damages. I'm going to get the damage repaired in the next two weeks.

Man, I've got some awesome neighbors! They'll be receiving fantastic wine for the holidays!

You were lucky you caught her and lucky she was so amiable. She is one of those people who feel it is not wrong if you don't get caught.

Yeah, you owe your neighbor big time.

roadster with a stick

BTW, the insurance companies don't help this. My wifes car door flew from my hands in a windstorm, damaging a brand new pickup. Still had the sticker and temp plates. I spent an hour tracking the owner down in the mall. My friend was PO'd cause I made him stand by the truck in the cold until we found the owner. His 50 cent size dent was hardly noticeble but cost my insurance $ 1,200.00.

My rates went up on all my cars and have paid three times that in premium upcharges since. Dent Wizard would have done it for less than $150.00.

You almost can't blame folks for runnin' away.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Erzer
I would have let the air out of the tires closest to the car and then found a nail or something to make sure that when he pulled out, he would gotten two flats on the other side.
Not me ... I'd have taken a pair of diagonal cutters and snipped the valve stems on all 4 tires ...that way, the driver would've had a hell of a lot bigger problem on his hands than just airing up his tires ... that would've given him a lot more time to build anger and perhaps get at least half as pi$$ed-off as you are ....

if the nuns were terrified of you, imagine how they'd have reacted if I'd have been one of your classmates ...

Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 PM

Thankfully I never had any problems with someone junking my car... but i did have someone **** me off in my apartment parking lot. Some idiot parked their van so close to me... I could not back out. The rear end of their van was blocking my way out. Like they just swung into the parking space missing my car centimeters. Nothing near what you all have had, but still pisses me off nonetheless. Stupid is like a disease I am telling you!