Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roof won't open

Old 09-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof won't open

Had a problem with roof and spoiler. Had new battery fitted, however roof will still not open. When I unclip, the windows fall as they should, soon as I press the button....beep.........try again...beep ?? Do I need to reset something??? Help please. Everything else is fine.

The following users liked this post:
rolly (07-28-2023)
Old 09-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Roof wont open

Most likely : the divider bulkhead switch in the trunk.
Second : the switch right above the passenger's ear in the roof frame.
Third : low/no fluid or defective top pump.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 PM

Thanks for that...however the roof was working fine...I had it open cleaning it, with the engine running. I then had to turn off the engine with roof half open, then battery died and I could not start car. The roof closed fine somehow? Not opened since??? Bizarre.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

The fact that the windows go down tells us that the switch in the windshield frame is ok.

I have played around with my top and never managed to 'confuse' the system, so I doubt you did, either.

The symptoms you describe are a bad divider switch (the one on the trunk - and you often need to make SURE the arm on the divider is seated well on the switch) or a bad top switch (the one above the passenger's head - this one is EASY to see when the top is unlatched and pushed up, away from the windshield frame - be sure it has not fallen apart OR one of the wires to it hasn't broken off).

ALSO, IF the trunk is not COMPLETELY closed, OR if the electric trunk lock is not sending a "trunk lock" signal back to the TCM, you will get the beep. Trunk electric lock failures are really rare.

If fluid is low, the pump will try to run (from what I have heard from others who show up here with problems).

I'd suggest you look at the two switches Ala_xfire and I have described first, they are most likely the problem - UNLESS you have water intrusion in the trunk deep enough to get the TCM wet. You can lift the mat in the trunk and look for water in the cavities back there.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mrbluesman
I then had to turn off the engine with roof half open, then battery died and I could not start car. The roof closed fine somehow? Not opened since???
How did you close the top with a dead battery? Did you use the manual procedure?
If so, there is no harm in that, I do it quite often.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:54 PM

Problem sorted Guys.................divider was not properly located in its seating on one side. Looked like it was, but the little blighter wasn't !!! Thanks for the tips guys.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Very common complaint - I think we all have had the 'scare' at one time or another, all due to that switch.

But be ready to know how to do the manual procedure, just in case it REALLY quits, as you are driving into rain!

Old 09-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

What would happen if that swith were bypassed? What is it's purpose?

Old 09-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The purpose of that switch is to be sure that the trunk divider is in the proper position for the top to store correctly, and to make suer there is nothing in the trunk that will keep the top from fitting in the space provided for it (behind the divider when it is in the up position). I have looked at mine several times and it appears that it could be easily bypassed, but in my opinion it would be at the risk of damaging your top if you were to forget that there was something in the way when you retracted the top. I agree with Pizzaguy, this is one of those quirks of the car that we all have (or probably will) experience at one time or another.

Enjoy

Thornh
2005 SRT-6 Roadster
Graphite Grey

Old 09-27-2013, 02:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Roof wont open

I placed a small piece of Velcro on the divider switch to make sure that it is always in place.

The following users liked this post:
CROSSFIRERUSH (06-13-2020)
Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 PM

New to this site and a new crossfire owner. I love it but I discovered there is a drain on the battery b/c I had to jump it so of course the tech @ the dealership said the battery had a bad cell. - right New battery - $150 and 3 days later it wouldn't start so I got it to the dealership and they hooked it to their LIMITED diagnostic computer and indeed they did verify the drain. So I'm told it needs to be hooked to another diagnostic tool that will reset the sensor. If this is true that would be a great fix. It's a 2005 convertible limited, 25K miles. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY CAUSE A BATTERY DRAIN ON A NEW BATTERY?? ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. Must admit I'm bummed. Just bouge.ht it 3 weeks ago. If you know about this or could help with this please email me at pstachler@gmail.com -------I just registered on this site so I h=don't know much about it. I'm older as well and I have a difficult navigating this site. Thanks so much, Pam

Old 09-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tic-drain.html

There are several threads on this subject.. but reset a sensor to fix?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 AM

I was also having problems with the top going down. First, I installed a rocker switch that is parallel to the divider's micro switch. Since that did not work: I started reading here again on the board. You guy are gereat! Seems that the problem was with the micro switch just above the passenger's head. This swith is not easy to see, as stated. Seems the best and only view is from the out side of the car, on passengers side; the switch is certainly just above the passengers head and as stated, can only be seen with the top unlatched and pulled back the normal six inches or so. I am not certan how to correct the problem; but can say that the top worked fine once I manually moved the switch a tad.

thanks again from New Ellenton, S.C.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Most likely : the divider bulkhead switch in the trunk.
Second : the switch right above the passenger's ear in the roof frame.
Third : low/no fluid or defective top pump.

Hello, I have a 2005 crossfire Roadster and have the second option Problem. The switch or actuaror above passenger ear is giving problem. When I touch it with a screwdiver it works. Any body knows the part number?
Thanks

Old 05-22-2019, 11:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kikolosh
Hello, I have a 2005 crossfire Roadster and have the second option Problem. The switch or actuaror above passenger ear is giving problem. When I touch it with a screwdiver it works. Any body knows the part number?
Thanks
Where/how are you touching it with your screwdriver? How is the switch not working? Is it stuck? Not closing?

Check out the thread shown in the link below and look at posts #148 through the end:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-system-8.html

According to Post #148 "it looks like the part you need is 05142205AA and it has been discontinued."
Then, post #151 gives a link to a switch and says it is "pricey".
Someone else modified a switch and provided some nice photos showing how to mount it.

I "fixed" my switch issue with a rubber band. I've done about 15 cycles on the top so far without any problems....I know the switch will break eventually. By then, I'll be ready to really fix it.....

Old 05-22-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by KeithTexas
Where/how are you touching it with your screwdriver? How is the switch not working? Is it stuck? Not closing?

Check out the thread shown in the link below and look at posts #148 through the end:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-system-8.html

According to Post #148 "it looks like the part you need is 05142205AA and it has been discontinued."
Then, post #151 gives a link to a switch and says it is "pricey".
Someone else modified a switch and provided some nice photos showing how to mount it.

I "fixed" my switch issue with a rubber band. I've done about 15 cycles on the top so far without any problems....I know the switch will break eventually. By then, I'll be ready to really fix it.....
Thanks for tour reply
i have been checking this post and see what some of you did. Mine looks the rubber button stays always on or doesnt make a good touch. The actuator with the spring works good up and down, but the metal part that pushes the rubben button, i think it is not working good. I am trying to get the part but the references says it is discontinued.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:56 PM
Administrator

It is not discontinued, that is their phrase for "we no longer stock the part or support the car". The part is still manufactured.

I think it was George (ala_xfire) who found that switch at MCM or Digi-key electronics. It is a common normally-open small switch and sells in lots of 100 for around $1.50 each. In quantities of one, expect to pay around $14 with shipping.

THe next day it rains all day Saturday I will dig up a source for it - if George does not chime in here.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 05-22-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Administrator

BE DAMN CAREFUL WITH THIS ADVICE:

In a pinch, you can cut the wires going to that switch and splice them together - bypassing it. BUT BE WARNED, if you hit the button with the top UP, the pump will start and try to move the top - with the top latched to the frame around the windshield, this will potentially cause damage to the linkages.

Just don't let anyone/thing press the button with the top up and key "ON".......

Old 05-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
BE DAMN CAREFUL WITH THIS ADVICE:

In a pinch, you can cut the wires going to that switch and splice them together - bypassing it. BUT BE WARNED, if you hit the button with the top UP, the pump will start and try to move the top - with the top latched to the frame around the windshield, this will potentially cause damage to the linkages.

Just don't let anyone/thing press the button with the top up and key "ON".......

I think the best option is by passing it, because i am not finding the part.
But I think during speeds above 20mph, the motor of the roof wont work, correct? I hope not to press the button and cause damage. Thanks for your replies.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:14 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by kikolosh
I think the best option is by passing it, because i am not finding the part.
But I think during speeds above 20mph, the motor of the roof wont work, correct? I hope not to press the button and cause damage. Thanks for your replies.
Actually, I think that is 9 MPH, not 20.

Quick Reply: Roof won't open