Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Battery replaced now radio dead

Old 09-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery replaced now radio dead

What a saga but I'll keep it short. Spoiler popped up by it's self when I started the car. Hmmm. Thereafter, noticed a weak crank. Popped hood and saw corrosion on the negative battery connector. Called AAA for a battery check. Service tech also said battery needed to be replaced. Connector corrosion was so bad it had fused onto the battery. (Yup, I live by the beach.) In trying to dislodge the connector, the tech broke it apart.

Well, he charged me $175 for the new H6 battery and tried to" patch up" the connector to work. After multiple tries to crank, car started but not for long. The next day being Sunday limited my resources to find a new cable but I found a shop 6 miles away that would replace the cable. Yeah. But...car would not start.

Called AAA for a jump and this tech didn't know positive from negative and sparks went flying. Anyway, he patch the connector up so I could start it up. He said he was confident the Crossfire would make it to the shop. Car died 2 miles from my home in the middle of traffic. Called AAA for a tow to the shop.

Shop put on a new connector and Crossfire starts like brand new. However, the battery charging light was on (this tech says, don't worry it will reset) so I drove off. Rolled up windows just fine, turned on AC just fine, turn signals work just fine. So to relax for the drive home decided to turn on the radio---it's dead as a door nail. AND, the battery charging light is still on.

Looking for some serious wisdom here guys and gals. Help

Old 09-18-2017, 01:53 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Battery replaced now radio dead

I'll let George handle this one, I see he is here. I refuse to sound like a broken record on THIS Monday afternoon.

I just hope you tipped these "techs" well. See, I was a "technician" for 29 years. To me, a "technician is a certified and qualified person. A 'tech' is a $12 an hour guy hired off the street with no qualifications or expertise.

You are lucky the car is running at all.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:57 PM

Good point. In search of an A+ technician.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, I'm here Mark, but frankly I didn't want to touch this one
The statement
Called AAA for a jump and this tech didn't know positive from negative and sparks went flying.
gave me a heart attack, in the past if anyone ever hooked up the battery backwards, almost ALL the electronics in the car got toasted

I'd call AAA and get someone in senior management on the phone and tell them that their tech fried your car, and what do they intend to do about it ?

Old 09-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Blown fuse maybe.....
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...cd-player.html

Old 09-18-2017, 02:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not George , but here goes. First go to any auto parts store an have them to check the charging system. I would bet your "tech" burnt up your alternator. As for your radio, check the fuse that's most likely your culprit. Do you have an owners manual? If not you can download it free , here on the forum.
Welcome to the forum...

Old 09-18-2017, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Yes, I'm here Mark, but frankly I didn't want to touch this one
The statement
gave me a heart attack, in the past if anyone ever hooked up the battery backwards, almost ALL the electronics in the car got toasted

I'd call AAA and get someone in senior management on the phone and tell them that their tech fried your car, and what do they intend to do about it ?
I want nothing to do with it. Perhaps the BBB or a lawyer can help, but not me.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the tip about checking the alternator. The day before the "fry" it tested well so I can trace back to AAA test paper trail if need be. Hopefully, just a fuse. Checking. Also, contacting AAA management as well as the owner of the shop that dispatched the two techs. Ugh

And, thanks for the welcome.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I want nothing to do with it. Perhaps the BBB or a lawyer can help, but not me.
This is to no one in particular 😞 I am somewhat disappointed in the response to a request for advice from a fellow Crossfire owner. This is not in keeping with the purpose and spirit of this forum. I hope someone will step up and afford this fellow enthusiast the courtesy of sharing the experience and knowledge gained by other members.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by InTheMidst
Thanks for the tip about checking the alternator. The day before the "fry" it tested well so I can trace back to AAA test paper trail if need be. Hopefully, just a fuse. Checking. Also, contacting AAA management as well as the owner of the shop that dispatched the two techs. Ugh

And, thanks for the welcome.
​​​​​​
you have done exactly what I was going to advise, I hope things turn out well keep us advised.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Not mentioned so I am not sure if the car runs for any distance, if the alternator is shot it may not go too far on the battery alone. Also the battery may be damaged internally and is therefore scrap.
Reversing polarity on a new battery or old is not good at all.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954
This is to no one in particular 😞 I am somewhat disappointed in the response to a request for advice from a fellow Crossfire owner. This is not in keeping with the purpose and spirit of this forum. I hope someone will step up and afford this fellow enthusiast the courtesy of sharing the experience and knowledge gained by other members.
No, your post was to me and I am happy to answer it.

Others did help him. See the posts before and after mine, what do you expect me to add to their posts? I certainly an not going to contradict them.

I help people a hell of a lot on here and the cesspool known as Facebook. Fact is, the guy should be (and I bet is) going after the one(s) who damn near burnt his car up.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Others did help him. See the posts before and after mine, what do you expect me to add to their posts? I certainly an not going to contradict them.

I help people a hell of a lot on here and the cesspool known as Facebook. Fact is, the guy should be (and I bet is) going after the one(s) who damn near burnt his car up.
Maybe you should leave the Atlanta Page? Just saying...

Old 09-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised your trying to help on facebook. You must be a GLUTEN for punishment... lol. Greg seems to be having a great time.
No matter how many times you throw out your credentials on there, you will never get any R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Again; cesspool is by example a good definition....

I search for answers all over the world! Never have I been on there, looking for anything...I know social media..

Last edited by Steve Jr; 09-18-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
I'm surprised your trying to help on facebook. You must be a GLUTEN for punishment... lol. Greg seems to be having a great time.
No matter how many times you throw out your credentials on there, you will never get any R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Again; cesspool is by example a good definition....

Greg finally had enough of the smile in your face stab you in the back "Crossfire Family".. and I use that term loosely ..

Old 09-18-2017, 11:04 PM

The purpose of my statement is to promote solidarity and camaraderie among fellow members who share a love for a unique automobile nothing more nothing less.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:56 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

So, no one called me out on my response to the problem.
I simply do not know where to start, but I'll give it a shot anyway :
Replace the battery
Check the alternator
Check ALL fuses and replace any blown ones
Fuse locations : little box in front of battery, underhood fuse box, RCM module, headlight switch ( under panel at driver's end of dash ) and back of radio.
Check for any CEL codes.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:11 AM

The first time I laid eyes on the crossfire I was at a traffic light, I pulled up behind a roadster and I thought to myself that is one badass looking convertible. I knew then I had to have one, I Googled it and one of the first things to pop up was the crossfire forum. After researching the history of this automobile from various sources other than the Forum I was almost convinced the car would be more trouble than it was worth, but then I spent a few days on the Forum getting to know the car and the people on the form a little better, not by interacting but just by reading the various comments and seeing how the members interacted with one another. The technical information available and the support by members for one another tipped the scale for me and I pulled the trigger on a 05 Alabaster Roadster. Thanks to the" members"_ owning this car has been affordable and pleasurable.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:21 AM

Thank you to all of you that provided "meaningful" feedback. Especially the one who let me know where to find all the fuses. As an update, I'm waiting on a response from AAA as well as the shop that tore apart the negative battery connector while installing the new battery and their second tech who caused the "sparks to fly" and left me stranded in the street.

I also just ordered the Genuine Chrysler 5097568AA Electrical Battery Negative Cable and I'm asking around for an A+ technician recommendation in my area (Huntington Beach, CA) to assess all the damage that may have been done and make the necessary repairs.

Also, thanks for the link to the manual.

Best,
InTheMidst

Old 09-19-2017, 01:41 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

You need an independent shop specializing in German autos. Should be several where you are. Check their ratings and call them to tell them what you have. Good luck. Now that I think about it that would take the responsibility off the people who caused the damage in the first place. AAA has put you in an awkward position. Sorry, I wasn't much help after all.