Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

convertible top locked, intermittent buzzer while driving

Old 03-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertible top locked, intermittent buzzer while driving

Here is the issue, top up ,in place and locked, buzzer sounds intermittently while driving. Need procedure to locate sensor. Switch blinks also. Thanks, RB

Old 03-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: convertible top locked, intermittent buzzer while driving

What sensor?

What the system is telling you is that the cycle did not complete. Not sure what position it is "locked" in, but run it thru the cycle and THIS time make sure you do not let go of the button until you hear the 'beep' indicating the cycle is complete.

If the symptom does not go away, THEN we can start to chase what is going on.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:15 PM

Thanks for your time and input, the top when up and locked into position ,the switch continues to flash red and a beeping sound continues. FYI, I retired from DiamlerChrysler as a marketing guy in the LosAngeles office. Always been a car nut, my car is a standard shift, a real drivers car.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

I'm overloaded with stuff at work, I"ll be back in a few days, sorry, but things have hit the fan.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing occur, (or at least sounds the same). I had hauled some tomato plants last spring. When I unloaded them I noticed one of the sticks was broken. When I put the top up I got the beeping you mentioned. I found a small piece of a sick from the tomato plant in the top that was causing a bind. When I removed it the beeping stopped. I think there is something causing your top to be in a bind.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

Did you do a complete cycle as Pizzaman said?

Old 03-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take what Pitzza says with a grain of salt. No, I just removed the small stick of wood and the top closed with no more problems.
The top only has to be re-cycled if it loses it's memory..

Old 03-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like the bow (rear window) did not lock in place or the switch on the lock is defective. Have someone put the top up while you listen for the click indicating the bow is latched. Had this happen to me once when my hydraulic pump went bad. You might give it an assist br pressing down on the bow when it attempts to lock. (Might be low on hydraulic oil in the top pump)

Old 03-22-2018, 03:03 AM

Well, a bit more for your consideration. The top window is out ,could this influence anything ?. Secondly, pulled the windshield header panel and checked the micro switch for mechanical operation. When the top is raised and ready to be pulled into place ,as it comes into place with the handle it begins to beep, I manually tripped the micro switch thinking it would stop the buzz, not so but the consul switch light would flash every time the micro switch would be engaged. Is there another switch located in the top and how do you acceds it. Additionally, is there a module that controls the top? Thanks all for you time and input.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:40 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, there is another switch, the "top released" switch located just above the passenger's right ear.
You can see it real well with the top just starting back on the down cycle.
The top control module located on the pump in the rear fenderwell behind the driver is in charge of all this.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:48 AM
Forum Regular
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't forget to check oil level in the top hydraulic pump located in the trunk behind the left rear wheel well

Old 03-25-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Reb Baron
Here is the issue, top up ,in place and locked, buzzer sounds intermittently while driving. Need procedure to locate sensor. Switch blinks also. Thanks, RB
I have this exact same problem! I explained my problem in extreme detail in this thread I created but just got the same non-sense responses that you are getting.

My spoiler also only works when driving at 65mph it doesn't work when pushing the button, I think it's related.

There is obviously something wrong causing this, and I bet there are more cars out there beeping at the driver all day long too. Car is not a primary driver and I've been moving slow.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 150MPH
I have this exact same problem! I explained my problem in extreme detail in this thread I created but just got the same non-sense responses that you are getting.

My spoiler also only works when driving at 65mph it doesn't work when pushing the button, I think it's related.

There is obviously something wrong causing this, and I bet there are more cars out there beeping at the driver all day long too. Car is not a primary driver and I've been moving slow.
There is always the dealer if you don't like the free advice..

Old 03-25-2018, 06:29 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

The biggest frustrations I have with trying to help people is first, most never post back and say "I tried your suggestion and it didn't work or did work" so you can go forward with another suggestion and second most never post back and say how it worked out and what solution worked. Being a mechanic myself and having dealt with repair shops there are generally multiple possibilities. It is not always black and white and I've always found going the simplest. cheapest and easiest step first and then working your way through is the best and least expensive way to go.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:35 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
There is always the dealer if you don't like the free advice..
There is also the member here who will fly to wherever you are and fix it for free. If he cannot solve the problem he pays you for the time you have wasted.
Contact Hardleelikely, you may have to wait for a reply as he is really busy.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:39 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Guys, please do not stop giving out free advice. This forum is a wealth of knowledge.
I have a couple of issues I will be looking at this spring. By researching the forum I believe I know where one of my problems is.
It is not where I would have started looking without all the sharing of your experiences with the crossfire.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:27 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wadsworth
Guys, please do not stop giving out free advice. This forum is a wealth of knowledge.
I have a couple of issues I will be looking at this spring. By researching the forum I believe I know where one of my problems is.
It is not where I would have started looking without all the sharing of your experiences with the crossfire.
Not a problem.. Just looked like someone needed put on notice he is entitled to a 100% refund if we can't help fix the car..

Old 03-25-2018, 11:51 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
The biggest frustrations I have with trying to help people is first, most never post back and say "I tried your suggestion and it didn't work or did work" so you can go forward with another suggestion and second most never post back and say how it worked out and what solution worked. Being a mechanic myself and having dealt with repair shops there are generally multiple possibilities. It is not always black and white and I've always found going the simplest. cheapest and easiest step first and then working your way through is the best and least expensive way to go.
Worse is giving something to someone, paying the mailing costs and never getting told if it arrived or what.
I only give to people I know these days.
I gave a doughnut seal that goes between the engine cover and the MAF on an NA to someone who needed one. He insisted in giving me a emergency breakdown kit, I was stunned. It just goes to show that we have people on the extreme ends of thankful members here. I have given away more expensive gear totally free of postage etc and in some cases I was not even told if it arrived safely.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-30-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:35 AM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Yes.

Quite the disservice to those with similar problems who take the time to read the whole thread as well.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:00 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There is also the member here who will fly to wherever you are and fix it for free. If he cannot solve the problem he pays you for the time you have wasted.
Contact Hardleelikely, you may have to wait for a reply as he is really busy.
Actually Jim ( amx1397 ) did post awhile back about a mechanic friend of his that is willing to travel, HOWEVER it ain't free and there is no mention of any refunds

Quick Reply: convertible top locked, intermittent buzzer while driving