Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Top and spoiler not working

Old 02-02-2021, 05:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top and spoiler not working

Hey, i have 2005 roadster. The top was working when i got my vehicle. (i had not checked the shock absorbers or hydraulic fluids.) A few weeks ago, when i close the top started making strange noises and hesitated. I had difficulty closing it ..press the button over and over... When i go to the service and they said that the two shock absorbers of my roof were leaking oil. After that i continued to use it manually by opening the top.I don't know what they did but after the service, the top switch started flashing.
A few days later I noticed that my spoiler wouldn't open when i pressed the switch. But my spoiler opens by itself at high speed. (There is no flashing like the top switch.) Today i bought a new top and i want to solve these problems while i have it fitted. The service said it would be taken care of when the shock absorbers were repaired and hydraulic oil added.
They looked at the spoiler but couldn't understand the problem. They said there was no problem with the engine and cables. So they wanted to disassemble the console to look at the spoiler's switch.
This situation will be very costly for me because they will even try hard to understand the problem. :/
Has anyone experienced these situations before? I will be grateful if you could help me. Thank you.

Last edited by kztkadir; 02-02-2021 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:55 AM
Default Re: Top and spoiler not working

By the way, when I went to the service for the top, they removed the trunk release lever in the photo and they applied a spray to speed up the opening of the spoiler. (I think the mechanism was a little moldy.)
Could the spoiler not work be related to these? or about with the top not working? Thanks for helps again.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:44 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Do not let them take the console apart to look at the spoiler switch, I doubt there is anything wrong with the wires or switch.

If there are fluid leaks, that must be fixed first. When you say it was making noise and had trouble moving the top, it sounds like a low fluid condition. If they are seeing fluid leak, I would say you should remove both cylinders and have them rebuilt. The only company in the USA that I recommend is:
https://www.tophydraulics.com/ Klaus at TopHydraulics is the best at this work. I know that shipping would take time and cost a lot, but I do recommend his work.

If the top switch is flashing, it usually means the cycle did not complete. You can often reset it by doing this:
1) Start engine.
2) Put top up and down manually three times. Do the entire procedure exactly as described in my video.
This helps the controller 'learn' where the cylinders are. But if fluid is low, it will start flashing again if you try to use the switch to put top up or down.

The spoiler problem comes up from time to time, but I would not worry about that until the top is fixed. Get the cylinders rebuilt and then refill the fluid. Once you get the top working, you might find that the spoiler works right again. Errors with the top controller often mean that manual spoiler operation is prohibited because the system does not know the position of the top cylinders and items. Get the top system fixed first.

My manual top video:

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-02-2021 at 08:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pizzaguy:
lovecross (02-06-2021), MDKEEHN13 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-24-2021, 04:31 PM

My new top installed. He said that some of the switches in my car were burning. He showed them to me and I saw them burn. :/ He even told me to be grateful that my car did not burn.. I really did not understand how they burned.. He changed the switches, but my top still didn't work. He said I have to buy a new top motor hydraulic pump. He said it would look for other things if it doesn't work after getting this.. I was undecided about what to really do. I have already spent a lot of money on this problem. I wonder if hydraulic pump cannot be repaired?

Old 02-25-2021, 09:15 AM
Received 349 Likes on 308 Posts

Top Hydraulics rebuilds them but I have never heard of the switches burning. I would just operate it manually?

Old 02-25-2021, 01:44 PM

When the service checked again, they said there was no problem with hydraulic pump. They said it was burned due to an electrical fault in the cables.(maybe water..) This damaged the top module of my car. I think I'll have to buy a new top module. They said that when the new top module is fitted it will probably work..

Old 02-25-2021, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kztkadir
When the service checked again, they said there was no problem with hydraulic pump. They said it was burned due to an electrical fault in the cables.(maybe water..) This damaged the top module of my car. I think I'll have to buy a new top module. They said that when the new top module is fitted it will probably work..
Water damaged electronics can be very hard to repair. If wiring has corrosion from water, getting connectors cleaned effectively can be very hard to do.
I also doubt the top module is damaged, unless the trunk area has been under water.

Is there any sign of water under the trip pieces? If you raise the lid and look in the wheel wells, is there any sign of water in there like: Corrosion, rust, discoloring of the harnesses, etc.?

For help with figuring out what is going on, try this thread:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...p-sensors.html

Also, this one:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...formation.html

How to manually operate the top:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...operation.html

This man is an expert on the Crossfire and other tops:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42...OglbgpBvTjXpUU

Old 04-19-2021, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Water damaged electronics can be very hard to repair. If wiring has corrosion from water, getting connectors cleaned effectively can be very hard to do.
I also doubt the top module is damaged, unless the trunk area has been under water.

Is there any sign of water under the trip pieces? If you raise the lid and look in the wheel wells, is there any sign of water in there like: Corrosion, rust, discoloring of the harnesses, etc.?

For help with figuring out what is going on, try this thread:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...p-sensors.html

Also, this one:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...formation.html

How to manually operate the top:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...operation.html

This man is an expert on the Crossfire and other tops:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42...OglbgpBvTjXpUU
My service told me to buy a new top module. But I'm not sure if they know enough about it. Unfortunately, there is no reliable service where I can have this checked in my hometown. Speaking of the failure of the top module, he said the windows do not go down. What makes the windows go down? Top module or the sensor in the windshield frame? Currently the top module is not connected to my car. The windows do not go down when I turn the latch. How can I check this? I just don't want to buy a top module for nothing. Actually, they say everything will be alright when I get the new top module. But I'm not sure about that. I will be grateful if you could help me.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:31 PM
Administrator

When you turn the D handle, the fingers of the D latch release the switch in the frame, this switch is wired to the Power Top Control Module (PTCM). When the PTCM gets this signal, it sends a command to the BOdy Control Module (BCM) to lower the windows. If the top module is not in the car, the windows will not go down.

Severe failures of the Power Top Control Module are rare, and failures of the pump are rare. Most problems are caused by the switches and sensors in the system.

The bad sound the top made when it quit working sounds like low fluid, caused by a leak. This might be due to a damaged or bad pump, but I think it was probably caused by low fluid.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:56 AM

When you turn the D handle, the fingers of the D latch release the switch in the frame, this switch is wired to the Power Top Control Module (PTCM). When the PTCM gets this signal, it sends a command to the BOdy Control Module (BCM) to lower the windows. If the top module is not in the car, the windows will not go down.

Severe failures of the Power Top Control Module are rare, and failures of the pump are rare. Most problems are caused by the switches and sensors in the system.

The bad sound the top made when it quit working sounds like low fluid, caused by a leak. This might be due to a damaged or bad pump, but I think it was probably caused by low fluid.
When I heard that sound, I decided to take my car to the service immediately. When they returned the car to me, the red light was flashing on the top button. Now when they put the top module back on, the same situation continues. What does it mean if the light is constantly flashing? If it's missing fluid, I'll try to put fluid in my car and run the top. I have read your topic. After the put fluid, if i manually open and close the top 3 times while the car is running, is there any chance of improvement? How do i know if this is a top module malfunction or one of the sensors? Which one does the flashing button indicate?

Old 04-20-2021, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kztkadir
When I heard that sound, I decided to take my car to the service immediately. When they returned the car to me, the red light was flashing on the top button. Now when they put the top module back on, the same situation continues. What does it mean if the light is constantly flashing? If it's missing fluid, I'll try to put fluid in my car and run the top. I have read your topic. After the put fluid, if i manually open and close the top 3 times while the car is running, is there any chance of improvement? How do i know if this is a top module malfunction or one of the sensors? Which one does the flashing button indicate?
The manual operation of the top 3 times can re-synchronize the module and yes, this often corrects the problems.

It can be hard to determine if the problem is the module or sensor(s). But again, module failures do not happen very often. I do not believe the module is bad.

A flashing button can mean a bad module, or a bad sensor. USUALLY, a flashing button means that the cycle (when you put top down or up) did not complete, that is, it did not completely finish moving the top and unlocking the trunk, etc. (The trunk locks for the 30 seconds it takes for the top to move up or down). If the light is on steady with car not moving, it almost always means that the cycle is not done. The light starts to blink when you start moving because the module is trying to warn you that the cycle is not complete and you should not move the car - this is because, if the lid or top is part way up, the wind could catch it and damage it.

Once again, I do not think the module is bad, many shops think that, but they are usually wrong.

Old 04-21-2021, 02:03 PM

The manual operation of the top 3 times can re-synchronize the module and yes, this often corrects the problems.

It can be hard to determine if the problem is the module or sensor(s). But again, module failures do not happen very often. I do not believe the module is bad.

A flashing button can mean a bad module, or a bad sensor. USUALLY, a flashing button means that the cycle (when you put top down or up) did not complete, that is, it did not completely finish moving the top and unlocking the trunk, etc. (The trunk locks for the 30 seconds it takes for the top to move up or down). If the light is on steady with car not moving, it almost always means that the cycle is not done. The light starts to blink when you start moving because the module is trying to warn you that the cycle is not complete and you should not move the car - this is because, if the lid or top is part way up, the wind could catch it and damage it.

Once again, I do not think the module is bad, many shops think that, but they are usually wrong.
I have tried resetting the top module by manually today. (top down or up 3 times) The light is constantly blinking. (even when the vehicle is not moving) When i top up, i can hear the sound of completing the loop as soon as i close the D-arm. In addition, when i top up, if the luggage divider is not in place, the sensor buzzes. I called the service and they said they put the liquid that it was not low fluid. In this case, what could be the problem? You still think it's from the sensors? By the way, I don't hear the hydraulic pump working. There is no movement when I press the button. (like windows going down.)

Last edited by kztkadir; 04-21-2021 at 02:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MDKEEHN13 (02-28-2024)