Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

UK Roadster Thread - drilling into the trunk

Old 03-20-2023, 04:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default re: UK Roadster Thread - drilling into the trunk

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I think the thing that went wrong here was that the emergency release did not work for you, I see you DID find it and pull on it.

This brings up something from 2009, I managed to open mine with the emergency cable, but the cam did break when I did so. The cam is plastic (stupid) and I wonder if yours is broken as well.
In any event, ya GOTTA disable that electric lock (which is easy, once you get the lid open and can take the trim panel out and access it.

I just can't believe they went this far, but on the OTHER hand, I do know that cars were been stolen at alarming rates in parts of the EU back then.

And I did not apologize YET, I am still in denial.
If the Electric Lock Arm is engaged and you try to pull on the emergency release cable it's not going to be able to flip the pneumatic lock lever because of the Electric Lock Arm. This is when the emergency release mechanism will break off, if you pull hard on the cable.
I just rebuilt the emergency release mechanism on a Roadster this morning. It works great and is probably stronger than the original.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:58 PM

In the last video that you posted, you can see a little portion of the accordion section of the Secondary Electric Lock Actuator Arm. I wonder if you can access it with a large screwdriver and try to pull the Arm back towards the module (right). You might have to push on the accordion section fairly hard as you pull it to the right.
(I just tested this on the Roadster that I have opened up and, yes if you put enough pressure on the square shaft inside the accordion section you can pull it back in small increments.) It doesn't have to be backed out very far before the pneumatic lock lever can be flipped to the open position.
If you can disengage the Secondary Electric Lock Actuator Arm from the Pneumatic Lock Lever, then maybe you can go to the left license plate light opening and grab the Emergency Release Cable and pull it carefully.
If the Secondary Electric Lock Arm is still engaged then don't pull hard on the Emergency Release Cable or you can break the Emergency Release Mechanism that flips the Pneumatic lock lever.

Last edited by bmccubbin; 03-20-2023 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:43 PM
Administrator
Received 886 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccubbin
If the Electric Lock Arm is engaged and you try to pull on the emergency release cable it's not going to be able to flip the pneumatic lock lever because of the Electric Lock Arm. This is when the emergency release mechanism will break off, if you pull hard on the cable.
I just rebuilt the emergency release mechanism on a Roadster this morning. It works great and is probably stronger than the original.
I thought that's how I got into my car back in 2009 when I was locked out. I just read the thread, NO. Not how I did it. My lid was ajar and I had the neighbor press the button while I pressed down on the lid - and the top cycled.
I think my emergency latch cam broke, perhaps, due to my forcing it, just as you said.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In the last video that you posted, you can see a little portion of the accordion section of the Secondary Electric Lock Actuator Arm. I wonder if you can access it with a large screwdriver and try to pull the Arm back towards the module (right). You might have to push on the accordion section fairly hard as you pull it to the right.
(I just tested this on the Roadster that I have opened up and, yes if you put enough pressure on the square shaft inside the accordion section you can pull it back in small increments.)
If you can disengage the Secondary Electric Lock Actuator Arm from the Pneumatic Lock Lever, then maybe you can go to the left license plate light opening and grab the Emergency Release Cable and pull it carefully.
If the Secondary Electric Lock Arm is still engaged then don't pull hard on the Emergency Release Cable or you can break the Emergency Release Mechanism that flips the Pneumatic lock lever.
I did actually try to tease the cam open but there’s not enough of it to get any movement.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:29 PM

Are the security panels metal or something softer. It almost looks like the same material as the trunk liner.
In your video, it looks like the end closest to the Secondary Electric Lock Actuator Arm is jagged.
Maybe with a large metal curved pick, you could hook the end and bend it away from the Secondary Electric Lock Actuator Arm.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:18 PM

Are the security panels metal or something softer. It almost looks like the same material as the trunk liner.
In your video, it looks like the end closest to the Secondary Electric Lock Actuator Arm is jagged.
Maybe with a large metal curved pick, you could hook the end and bend it away from the Secondary Electric Lock Actuator Arm.
It’s pretty solid. Feels thick, not the flimsy stuff.

The following users liked this post:
bmccubbin (03-21-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 05:54 PM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

Have a look at these images. I've attempted to capture an image of you video where you need to insert Screwdriver. Between Yellow hose and back side of car.

Old 03-24-2023, 06:07 PM

Is the top fully seated?
The video shows that it isn't fully engaged. Just tossing darts but could that be causing your problem. Are you able to manually cycle the top down and up? Could the electric override be holding this up because the cycle hasn't been completed?

Haydyn (03-29-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 06:16 PM

Again, throwing darts, the hydraulic lines in the roadster are behind the passenger seat.

Old 03-24-2023, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by UrbanE
Is the top fully seated?
The video shows that it isn't fully engaged. Just tossing darts but could that be causing your problem. Are you able to manually cycle the top down and up? Could the electric override be holding this up because the cycle hasn't been completed?
I can'[ believe I missed this, but UrbanE has a GOOD point.

PRESSS DOWN HARD on the lid while a helper cycles the top. That may be your way out.

Old 03-24-2023, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Have a look at these images. I've attempted to capture an image of you video where you need to insert Screwdriver. Between Yellow hose and back side of car.
Read the thread - this option is not open to him.
His car has UK/EU anti theft mods, I could not believe it but that's the way it is.

Haydyn (03-26-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 08:55 AM

Thank you so much for your efforts but because of the plates I simply can't get access to anything.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Haydyn
Thank you so much for your efforts but because of the plates I simply can't get access to anything.
NO ONE is going to listen to you, even I didn't until it was proven.

We've simply N E V E R seen this in the USA.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:59 PM
Default Re: Please HELP! Need to drill into the trunk better video update:

It definitely looks like your Roadster lock is blocked by those plates. You are probably right that going under the Chrysler emblem and drilling a small enough hole to get a very small screwdriver down to the Secondary Electric Lock Actuator Arm and then the pneumatic lock lever, to release the boot (trunk) lid.
Here some pictures that should help with seeing what you need to do, if you decide to drill the hole through the boot lid.

************We did it 🕺🏼 Thank you 🙏***********

Last edited by Valk; 03-28-2023 at 02:03 PM. Reason: fixed youtube link
The following 2 users liked this post by Haydyn:
bmccubbin (03-27-2023), GraphiteGhost (03-28-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:06 PM
Administrator

I merged your new post with this thread so people can follow what was going on.
It is obscene you had to do this, I'd bet UK members will be doing the electric lock disable NOW.

This was one for the books, this is UNHEARD OF in the USA.

bmccubbin (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I merged your new post with this thread so people can follow what was going on.
It is obscene you had to do this, I'd bet UK members will be doing the electric lock disable NOW.

This was one for the books, this is UNHEARD OF in the USA.
Thanks Mark, I didn’t know where to post it. Hopefully this will help people in the future, just not sure where you store info like this.
Aware it’s the electric lock and not pneumatic but didn’t pick up until all uploaded…it’s a grey haired thing 😉
I’ll do the other video tomorrow, where shall I upload it to?
saying that, it’s really for us across the pond I guess.
I will go back in and cut the plates off on the left so I can access the pneumatic pipe at some point. Got a heap of issues to sort now though. Spoiler is up and won’t go down, most switches don’t seem to work either 🤦
Hey ho, got you lot to guide me so it’s not a lonely journey.
Thank you 🙏

bmccubbin (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:22 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Please HELP! Need to drill into the trunk

I'd put it in this thread, in fact, I will make this a "sticky" Roaster thread.

A spoiler that wont act right can be the CLP/SSM or a weak battery or a goofy wheel speed sensor. We can work on that as you get time.

MODERATOR NOTE: Thread title edited, moderator note added to post 1.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-27-2023 at 09:27 PM.
Haydyn (03-28-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Default Re: UK Roadster Thread - drilling into the trunk

Watch the video of him doing the deed! Thanks to Robert McCubbin for telling them where to drill, I sure was not about to !

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-27-2023 at 10:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pizzaguy:
ajchicago (04-02-2023), bmccubbin (03-27-2023), Haydyn (03-28-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 10:06 PM
Default Re: Please HELP! Need to drill into the trunk better video update:

Originally Posted by Haydyn
https://youtu.be/6Pf51OT_ssw

We did it 🕺🏼 Thank you 🙏
I'm happy to see that you were successful in getting the boot opened.
Looking forward to seeing your video of those security plates. Hopefully it's just a few bolts holding them in place.

Haydyn (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 10:52 AM
Received 380 Likes on 329 Posts
Default Re: UK Roadster Thread - drilling into the trunk

GREAT JOB Haydyn. Been following this from the start. Quite a strange one for sure. This will be good for all UK roadsters! Again, GREAT JOB!

Haydyn (03-28-2023)

Quick Reply: UK Roadster Thread - drilling into the trunk