Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

BAS top window trouble

Old 08-20-2023, 02:01 PM
Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default BAS top window trouble

Happy Sunday everyone!

Bought a SRT6 last year with 25,000 on it. Owner said he had just replace the convertible top (which looked fantastic) in March of last year through the forum vendor BAS from England, I believe part of a group buy.
I noticed today that on the bottom left side, the window stars separating from the fabric. I also heard there is a lifetime warranty on these tops for exactly that issue. Does that carry over to a new owner? I'd be pretty upset if I have to purchase a new top already.
Also, would you even consider the warranty or is that a fairly easy fix? Maybe attach it myself?

Here are some pictures.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:57 PM
Received 349 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Re: BAS top window trouble

I would contact BAS and see what they say. Did the prior owner give you anything as proof? Do you know his name, they can probably verify sales records? If not, that can be sealed easily as long as it doesn't continue coming loose.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:28 PM

Yes he showed me receipt at the time, didn't ask him to give it to me cause had only heard good things about BAS. I do know his name. I guess I'll reach out to them but wasn't trying to go through a top replacement and was hoping maybe there is a relatively easy fix. But then again if that already happens after a year it's probably a manufacturing defect.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

I know personally of two BAS tops that had issues, both were at time of install and BAS sent a new top at their cost as well as a shipping label, they wanted the bad one back to see what went wrong.
I honestly do not know if the warranty is transferable.

I can say this: That is not the window they put in my BAS top, but mine was purchased in 2019.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I know personally of two BAS tops that had issues, both were at time of install and BAS sent a new top at their cost as well as a shipping label, they wanted the bad one back to see what went wrong.
I honestly do not know if the warranty is transferable.

I can say this: That is not the window they put in my BAS top, but mine was purchased in 2019.
I know that people love the quality of the BAS tops and I hear nothing but good things about them.
Would you mind taking a picture of your glas?
I'm just wrote to BAS UK and we will see what they say.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:53 PM

Here's a picture from the top not close up:

​​

Last edited by nickwe21; 08-20-2023 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 04:08 PM
Administrator

The stamp on the window is different...

Old 08-20-2023, 04:27 PM

hmmm interesting. But both have the FY (Fuyao) stamp on it. Maybe they use different glas? Or just a different batch? I just sent a message to previous owner if he still has paperwork and I also sent a message to BAS as I'm sure they would have records. Thanks for sending the pic

Old 08-20-2023, 04:31 PM

Actually just compared it side by side. Same numbers, same manufacturer, same model. The numbers are just in slightly different order but that is the same glass. Every number on your windshield is identical to mine.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:33 PM

Actually wondering if this is a BAS top or something else or the original. But it looks brand new besides the window defect so would be shocked if it was the original.
To someone who had either BAS or OEM can you confirm this is the color of the seams?

Old 08-22-2023, 05:10 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine has original top the threads are black.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:39 PM

Just to give you all a heads up. The original owner sent me paperwork of purchase from BAS. It is in fact a BAS top. He bought it with the last group buy and had it installed once he moved to Florida through a company in Sarasota last March.
I tried to get in touch with customer service from BAS and also with Rebecca and have her to hear back.
It is clearly a faulty top as the glue should not come apart after a year. I really hope they get in touch and make it right because it would be a shame if not since so many owners in our community speak highly of the company.

Old 08-27-2023, 12:38 PM

Just go give an update.

After consulting with the owner and with BAS be had purchased the top through a group buy on the forum and installed it when he moved to Florida last March. I purchased the vehicle in June...my guess is there is some kind of a manufacturing defect as I don't believe a Windows should start showing signs off detaching from the fabric after a little over one year of actually being on the vehicle.

Since I am not the original purchased, the warranty of BAS does not transfer to me. That is something a lot of companies do and I understand it, but from a customer perspective it's really just a way of getting out of repairing/replacing a faulty product as it would have failed for the purchaser as it would have failed for me.

Now, I do have to give BAS major pros as they agreed to work with me and are sending me a new top at a great price, which they didn't have to. So it's a little light but it doesn't solve the original disappointment with a top that started failing after one year on the vehicle (note: the group buy was in 2018 so the top is 5 years old technically but it only has been on the car since last March).

I would have honestly went with another company, had I not heard mainly great things about BAS on the forum and for the fact that they were willing to work with me. I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from using their tops as, like PizzaGuy said, there has only ever been two problems on this forum with their tops and none were concerning the window detaching so I guess I'm the lucky one with the one-pff scenario.

​​​

Old 08-27-2023, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Yea, this is a new "failure mode". There are a lot of BAS tops in the hot south and I can't remember a window failing, I do know a couple of times, seams came apart - in which case, BAS just replaces the top.

My top was bought in 2018 and put on in 2020, no trouble at all, so far. I wonder why the guy kept it in storage so long?

Old 08-27-2023, 09:02 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 499 Likes on 344 Posts

I just received a new BAS top a couple weeks ago

Last edited by Valk; 08-27-2023 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2023, 09:42 PM

Valk, your top looks great. Again, my top looks great, too minus the area where the window starts detaching from the fabric.

Te previous owner was a great guy but never drove the car much. The car had 24,800 miles on it when I purchased it last June and he did about 10,000 of those. He lived in Colorado and said he never used the car in the winter and hardly in the rain (I believe him as the inside looks brand new and so does the outside as well as any hoses and anything under the engine).
He said he knew the car is getting older naturally and figured it would not hurt to purchase a replacement top for the future.
They moved. To Florida early last year and he felt at the time the original top was due for replacement and wanted to be ready for the Florida heat so he installed the top he hard purchased a few years prior as a group buy.

Well, the top didn’t last. Besides the area where the window is starting to detach, the top looks literally brand new but what can I do when the window is starting to break loose? I am assuming that is just going to get worse. Now, I hate that it feels like a waste to purchase a brand new top, because this one is basically brand new but I don’t like the look of the window coming apart and I also don’t want it to get worse so I guess best solution is a replacement.

It’s nice that BAS is giving me a discount on a new top but at the end of the day this top was faulty. Had I purchased it, they would have replaced it under warranty but since I didn’t purchase it they have no obligation. Classic technicality that allows businesses to get out of standing behind their product. But again, I have been around here long enough to know the countless great reviews of BAS tops and so I am not really trying to complain. I appreciate that they work with me, but my point just is that this almost “new” top is faulty and something is not right with it since after one year this should not be happening.