Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Transmission dipstick cap

Old 06-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission dipstick cap

Anyone know how to get that cap off, where you place the transmission dipstick. It think there is a special tool, but I could probably make my own "special" tool if I knew what it looked like. Need to add some tranny fluid after I repair that 13 pin connector plug thing.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Default Re: Transmission dipstick cap

Ok, did a search and found a post saying it is a "breakaway" cap. So It needs to be broken off and replaced with a new one... Anyone know where I can get this cap, I'm sure it can't be found online. Are there any members who work for a dealership and can help me out in getting a new cap.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Its not the cap that you replace its the locking pin that slips into the cap. When you break the liitle tab at the top of the cap the remaining piece of the locking pin is still in the cap. Take a very small screwdriver(one used for eyeglass repair) and push the pin down thru the bottom of the cap. You should now be able to remove the cap. You should be able to buy the locking pin at a dealership, buy the locking pin before you break the existing one.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 PM

Too late I already broke the locking pin :-) Is the same locking pin on other chrysler vehicles. My local dealership didnt even have the dipstick for the Crossfire so they wouldnt do the repair. If this pin is only on a crossfire then I doubt they would have it.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:59 PM

The pin merely serves as evidence of ‘tampering’ for warranty purposes. It’s not necessary to properly retain the cap.
Its MB part number is 140 991 00 55. The O-ring is 022 997 22 48.

I’ve several in the spares bin if you need ‘em.

ATFcap.jpg

ATFcapsealpin.jpg

Establishing the proper ATF level is imperative, as our 722.6xx transmissions are persnickety.
Use only 001 989 21 03 10 fluid.

MB’s #140 15 21 fluid level measuring tool is unlike a conventional dipstick in that it bottoms against the inside of the pan, and is then to be read up from there.

MBC32RadiatorRR15-1.jpg

MBC32RadiatorRR10.jpg

Its markings at 25 degrees Celsius ATF temperature range between 10.3mm to 21.3mm.
Its markings at 80 degrees Celsius ATF temperature range between 54mm to 65mm.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:04 PM

I just used some super glue to make the pin like new again.

I searched everywhere online for those O-rings, couldnt find them. I went to my local Chrysler Dealership looking for them. The parts guy couldnt find it with the parts number I gave him. After 10 min of searching and finally asking a mechanic, we found out that the TSB instructions were changed and the whole plug adapter is supposed to be changed instead of just swapping the O-rings. I would like to get one of those dipsticks though, do you have any to sell?

Also, I like how it says "MB Workshop Only" instead of Chrysler.

Is this the same dipstick? $70..wtf.http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=8872

Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Forum Regular

According to the service manual, these are the steps to check the transmission fluid level (from p. 21-353):
  1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the transmission fill plug (1).
  3. The full fluid level should be at the base of the fill plug threaded hole. If the fluid is low, check for visible transmission fluid leaks and top off the fluid level.
  4. Install and tighten the fill plug (1) to 50 N·m (37 ft. lbs.).
  5. Lower the vehicle.
Can you use the dipstick to conveniently check it without going through this rather involved procedure? Is there a place to insert the dipstick from the top of the engine?

Old 06-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Forum Regular

I think I may have an answer to my own question. I posted the instructions for the MANUAL transmission. The AUTOMATIC transmission instructions are on p. 21-294 to 21-295:
  1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
  2. Remove locking pin (1). Remove the plate of the locking pin with a suitable tool and press out the pin remaining in the cap downwards.
  3. Remove the cap (2) from the fill tube (3).
  4. Actuate the parking brake. Start engine and let it run at idle speed in selector lever position “P”.
  5. Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling
  6. Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running. Push the Special Tool 8863A (1) in up to the stop and pull out again, read off oil level, repeat if necessary.
  7. Check the transmission oil temperature. Note: The true transmission oil temperature can only be read by a scan tool in REVERSE or any forward gear position.
  8. The transmission Special Tool 8863A has indicator marks every 10mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the transmission temperature, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the transmission oil level is correct.
  9. Add or remove oil as necessary and recheck the oil level.
  10. Once the oil level is correct, install a new dipstick tube cap (2) and lock pin (1).
This seems like an even bigger pain than the instructions for the manual tranny!

How does one read the oil temperature with a scan tool? Which scan tool should one use?

Last edited by radmanly; 06-12-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff
I just used some super glue to make the pin like new again.

I searched everywhere online for those O-rings, couldnt find them. I went to my local Chrysler Dealership looking for them. The parts guy couldnt find it with the parts number I gave him. After 10 min of searching and finally asking a mechanic, we found out that the TSB instructions were changed and the whole plug adapter is supposed to be changed instead of just swapping the O-rings. I would like to get one of those dipsticks though, do you have any to sell?

Also, I like how it says "MB Workshop Only" instead of Chrysler

Is this the same dipstick? $70..wtf.http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=8872
Have you actually LOOKED under the hood? EVERYTHING says Mercedes Benz on it because EVERYTHING under the hood IS Mecedes Benz.
Hence, the reason the Crossfire is such an incredable automobile.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Montana Crossfire
incredable
"incredible..."

Old 06-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Forum Regular

Thought this might be useful

I had the Transmission leak fixed the other day and i noticed the Crossfire tech ,
unlocked the dipstick keeper and use a dip stick to check the fluid level......
the Tech gave me the part number to the tool ( dipstick) miller 8863B

he used and the fulid part number also
P/N 5127382AA

also when done with checking fluid,
he had a retainer clip he locked the dipstick hole with .. i did not get that part #

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=8872

http://www.miller.spx.com/

Dipstick 8863b miller tools
8863B Dipstick
Etoolcart Price Qty $69.07

Old 09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Re: Transmission dipstick cap

"How does one read the oil temperature with a scan tool? Which scan tool should one use?"

Anyone know the answer to this? I have a "regular" OBDII/CAN scanner, and want to check my trans fluid for the first time. There's a fill-level vs. fluid temperature plot in the FSM, so the trans temperature is needed.

Have the Miller dipstick ($25 from eBay) and a hopefully lifetime supply of four new locks (less than $1 each) ready to go.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lugnut i usually read the temp with and infared temp gage . point it at the pan. not exact but close.
red tab found at any m/b dealer. cost about 2$ dipstick tool on ebay for about 16$

Old 09-27-2009, 10:05 PM

Good idea! Have a $9 one of those sitting in the closet, never been used. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LugNut
Good idea! Have a $9 one of those sitting in the closet, never been used. Thanks!
now dont try this going down the road!!! i used it after a fluid flush to check the levels at temp. worked for me

Old 06-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Thumbs up Re: Transmission dipstick cap

I finally got around to doing this fluid check. 42 mm at 145F; FSM said 50 mm. Had to get the fluid at the dealership, and they saw me coming! $17.52 for one quart, with tax. And only needed about a quarter quart. Not bad a loss of fluid for just under 40,000 miles (no stains on the garage floor).

New filler cap lock is red, where the original was black. Had bought a couple of spares too.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by splinter
MB’s #140 15 21 fluid level measuring tool
Apologies for necro-ing a very old thread but: the part number is actually #140 589 15 21 00 in full

I'm pointing it out, as I searched about and couldn't quite confirm whether i had the right dipstick after all. scratching my head a few hours and whatnot.

it'll possibly save some time for anyone in the future searching the forum for info etc etc

and i'll just leave these links to said part here:

GENUINE MERCEDES Transmission Dipstick (Tool) part 140 589 15 21 00

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

This board/forum is definitely an awesome resource of information in regards to Crossfires, thanks guys. Very much appreciated.

And again, sorry for bumping the thread, but it should help others in the future, i feel :p

thx.