Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

181 Pulley kit On - Problem cutting out at 5K

Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 181 Pulley kit On - Problem cutting out at 5K

Actually, I'm enjoying working out the problems. Last year at this time, I was cuffed to the bed on a ventilator with tubes in every orifice imaginable after having 11 cancer surgeries. Didn't think I would be here. I'll take working out a hot rodding problem anyday. Really am enjoying getting back to myself.

I have been reading a couple of posta on the "transmission torque limiter". It seems a few have had this issue pop up. Usually at a higher level than what my car is at but it does happen. A few have had it disabled by Jerry and it cured their "hitting the brick wall" that I'm experiencing. I wonder why this isn't disabled in every tune. It would definitely be nice to fix my problem with one setting but I do want the safety of the wideband.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 181 Pulley kit On - Problem cutting out at 5K

Posted this in my wideband video post, but since several were following this I'm posting it here as well.

Messed with the car most of the day, I think it is now fixed. Occam's razor has kicked my butt officially. I believe Grip Grip mentioned this one. My DIY cold air intake performed perfect before the pulley install. Great power increase. When I went to the 181 pulley, the car started to cut out at 5000rpm. Since the car had performed perfect with the air intake earlier, didn't think there was a problem. Today, I looked everything over and didn't like the angle the 90 degree boot at the throttle body connected to the hard pipe. The seal just didn't look right. Redid the connection, moved the clamps around. I also sleved the rest of the flex pipe with a section of hard pipe to eliminate any possible movement. Used some foam to pad the pipe to eliminate vibration (maybe setting off knock sensor if equipped).

Took it for a run. Pulled strong to redline and shifted perfect. Drove to Captain D's. I did notice some erratic idle similar to when the car was adjusting to the original CAI install. If it doesn't go away I'm looking for a vacuum leak. Made about ten more runs coming back, all pulled fine.

Now my problem is that I'm very rich. Had my wife watch the wideband. At redline I'm hitting 9.2 about every run. Boost is running around 19.5 at redline. It was much warmer this evening 66 degrees. When it's back to 35 like the other night I'm probably going be over 20psi.

Looks like a revised tune is in order after I datalog some runs. But thank goodness I think I have it figured it out for now. Probably would have not had any problems if I had gone Needswing on the intake, but that part of the fun. Your own R&D can save you money but will cost you time. You do learn alot...