Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

50K mile maintenance on SRT6

Old 10-18-2018, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50K mile maintenance on SRT6

I have an SRT6 that just hit 50K miles and I'm looking for a reliable, accurate maintenance checklist to give my mechanic after I do all I can myself. In this case, it's not so much the mileage as the years, since it's 13 years old at this point.
(I bought it with only 9K on it a few years back.) Is there an official tech sheet with specs outside of the generic owner's manual suggestions? If not for the SRT6, for the SLK32 AMG? My mechanic is good, and he's worked on MBs and AMGs
of course, but I doubt he's seen many SRT6s.. Any MB / SRT6-certified techs input would be especially appreciated. Thank you.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: 50K mile maintenance on SRT6

Originally Posted by JOE'S BLACK SRT6
I have an SRT6 that just hit 50K miles and I'm looking for a reliable, accurate maintenance checklist to give my mechanic after I do all I can myself. In this case, it's not so much the mileage as the years, since it's 13 years old at this point.
(I bought it with only 9K on it a few years back.) Is there an official tech sheet with specs outside of the generic owner's manual suggestions? If not for the SRT6, for the SLK32 AMG? My mechanic is good, and he's worked on MBs and AMGs
of course, but I doubt he's seen many SRT6s.. Any MB / SRT6-certified techs input would be especially appreciated. Thank you.
mercedes has an A and B service
(B being the more extensive, less frequent service) ... B service normally includes A service (oil and filter, etc) plus .. change brake fluid, change power steering fluid, change cabin air filter, etc . If you have not yet done the B service, you should consider doing that now. I would suggest that you add transmission service to the B service .... change transmission fluid, filter, and pilot bushing (pilot bushing is what they call the seal on the transmission electrical connector, it is inexpensive and should be changed at the point for certain).

Hope that helps,
Chris

Old 10-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

pilot bushing huh ? Learn something new every day.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:27 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
pilot bushing huh ? Learn something new every day.
I thought the pilot bushing was in the crankshaft. The Connector is called the 13 PIN CONNECTOR PLUG BUSH in all my literature.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris. That does help.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I thought the pilot bushing was in the crankshaft. The Connector is called the 13 PIN CONNECTOR PLUG BUSH in all my literature.
Yes, "pilot bushing" (and pilot bearing in some cases) normally refers to the bushing/bearing that the input shaft of the transmission is located by in the crankshaft (and can spin in when the transmission is dis-engaged via the clutch)

the part may be called " 13 PIN CONNECTOR PLUG BUSH " in some lit (seems more descriptive) ... perhaps this is Chrysler literature?
However, Mercedes calls the connector seal/bushing "pilot bushing" (plug the part number 203 540 02 53 into any Mercedes online part catalog .... example https://www.mbdirectparts.com/?p=cat...0540%2002%2053

Perhaps this is some artifact of a german to english translation issue .... dunno

weirder than the naming is the issue that it creates when not replaced (as a maintenance item) which is (as many are aware) transmission fluid "wicking" thru the harness from the transmission and making its way into the TCU ..... causing a mess and damage in some cases .

I hope that helps,
Chris

Old 10-19-2018, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by latemodel21
Yes, "pilot bushing" (and pilot bearing in some cases) normally refers to the bushing/bearing that the input shaft of the transmission is located by in the crankshaft (and can spin in when the transmission is dis-engaged via the clutch)

the part may be called " 13 PIN CONNECTOR PLUG BUSH " in some lit (seems more descriptive) ... perhaps this is Chrysler literature?
However, Mercedes calls the connector seal/bushing "pilot bushing" (plug the part number 203 540 02 53 into any Mercedes online part catalog .... example https://www.mbdirectparts.com/?p=cat...0540%2002%2053

Perhaps this is some artifact of a german to english translation issue .... dunno

weirder than the naming is the issue that it creates when not replaced (as a maintenance item) which is (as many are aware) transmission fluid "wicking" thru the harness from the transmission and making its way into the TCU ..... causing a mess and damage in some cases .

I hope that helps,
Chris
Thanks, as you say probably started as a translation slip up.
I have a couple in case I ever need one and I guess that is why mine has not failed on the two carsI have had.
Maybe I should not have said that.😏

Old 10-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks, as you say probably started as a translation slip up.
I have a couple in case I ever need one and I guess that is why mine has not failed on the two carsI have had.
Maybe I should not have said that.��
keep in mind that when this fails, the evidence is normally found at/in the TCU (as the fluid wicks though the harness up to the TCU in the passenger footwell) rather than on the garage floor. I have had them fail on 3 of my 4 AMGs, now I just replace it whenever I change the transfilter as a precaution. As an added precaution on my SL55, I rotated the TCU so that the connector is at the bottom (so fluid wont fill it up in the event of a "pilot bushing" failure).

Cheers,
Chris

P.s. best to change this when it is cool as it is possible to spin the captive nut in its plastic "capture" if you do it warm-hot (and are unlucky) ... that is a tip passed on to me by a Mercedes Tech.

Last edited by latemodel21; 10-19-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pilot bushing isn’t the same thing as the transmission electrical conductor plate that I have heard issues about is it? I’m gonna try to change my tranny fluid before the cold hits. Last winter I noticed when it was 30 degrees and below when the engine was still cold, the tranny didn’t want to let me out of D. I could maybe start in 1st but as soon as I would upshift it would immediately go back to D instead of 2nd. Until the engine warmed up, then everything would work as it was supposed to. Anyone had this happen?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:53 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bbsrt6
The pilot bushing isn’t the same thing as the transmission electrical conductor plate that I have heard issues about is it? I’m gonna try to change my tranny fluid before the cold hits. Last winter I noticed when it was 30 degrees and below when the engine was still cold, the tranny didn’t want to let me out of D. I could maybe start in 1st but as soon as I would upshift it would immediately go back to D instead of 2nd. Until the engine warmed up, then everything would work as it was supposed to. Anyone had this happen?
No, the "pilot bushing" is not the same as the "conductor plate", however, the pilot bushing plugs into the conductor plate (and is secured to it by a machine screw). If you look at the picture I attached, the conductor plate is the largest part in the pic and the pilot bushing is the 2-tone cylindrical part in the lower right.

relative to the problem you are experiencing, it would be useful to scan for codes and then consult with a transmission expert.

hope that helps,
Chris

Old 10-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. Would be nice to just change it out since I’m gonna have it open anyways but those plates are like $200 and u have to reset the tcu from my understanding.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mercedes has an A and B service
(B being the more extensive, less frequent service) ... B service normally includes A service (oil and filter, etc) plus .. change brake fluid, change power steering fluid, change cabin air filter, etc . If you have not yet done the B service, you should consider doing that now. I would suggest that you add transmission service to the B service .... change transmission fluid, filter, and pilot bushing (pilot bushing is what they call the seal on the transmission electrical connector, it is inexpensive and should be changed at the point for certain).

Hope that helps,
Chris
Just did a search on mercedes B service and it doesn't list some of the things you list. Just wondering because I am at 34K but 14 years old, so wondering what I should have done. Performance also seems a little sketchy coming out of winter here. So I was thinking air filter/spark plugs.

The need for Service B, like that for Service A, varies with the vehicle’s specifics. Most Mercedes models manufactured after 2009 will need it after the first year or 20,000 miles, and then every 2 years or 20,000 miles after that. Service B involves:
  1. Replacing the oil filter, synthetic motor oil, and combination or cabin dust filter
  2. Exchanging brake fluids and inspecting brakes for component problems
  3. Inspecting and correcting tire pressure
  4. Checking fluid levels and modifying them according to the manufacturer’s instructions
  5. Resetting the counter for the following Service B visit

Also did a search on Crossfire maintenance schedule and it shows very little service needing to be done. Nothing about changing brake fluids for example.
http://www.classically-modern.com/CI...ce_Summary.pdf

Also, my experience. I bought two old low mile Concordes for my kids and did the transmission fluid service at Chrysler dealer. within 1 to 2 months both experienced transmission failures. Spent the rest of my years tyring to fix those and finally got rid of the cards. So I am very reluctant to to do any transmission fluid service on cars. My understanding is draining trans fluid can cause junk to circulate and that got into some other parts which I replaced a couple of times for several $hundreds.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
Just did a search on mercedes B service and it doesn't list some of the things you list. Just wondering because I am at 34K but 14 years old, so wondering what I should have done. Performance also seems a little sketchy coming out of winter here. So I was thinking air filter/spark plugs.

The need for Service B, like that for Service A, varies with the vehicle’s specifics. Most Mercedes models manufactured after 2009 will need it after the first year or 20,000 miles, and then every 2 years or 20,000 miles after that. Service B involves:
  1. Replacing the oil filter, synthetic motor oil, and combination or cabin dust filter
  2. Exchanging brake fluids and inspecting brakes for component problems
  3. Inspecting and correcting tire pressure
  4. Checking fluid levels and modifying them according to the manufacturer’s instructions
  5. Resetting the counter for the following Service B visit

Also did a search on Crossfire maintenance schedule and it shows very little service needing to be done. Nothing about changing brake fluids for example.
http://www.classically-modern.com/CI...ce_Summary.pdf

Also, my experience. I bought two old low mile Concordes for my kids and did the transmission fluid service at Chrysler dealer. within 1 to 2 months both experienced transmission failures. Spent the rest of my years tyring to fix those and finally got rid of the cards. So I am very reluctant to to do any transmission fluid service on cars. My understanding is draining trans fluid can cause junk to circulate and that got into some other parts which I replaced a couple of times for several $hundreds.
the only difference I see between the b service list I provided and the one you found is the power steering fluid .... up to you.

the debate about changing atf rages on ... I wont participate as it does not apply in your case or the case of any car I own (did your Concorde have a Mercedes transmission?) Mercedes and Chrysler did not include it in the B service purely for marketing reasons (calculated cost of ownership) ... They wised up on later models ... If you don't want to change yours, don't . Your pilot bushing WILL start leaking eventually (so you should change it before you get ATF in your TCU.

Very unusual for plugs to need replacing before 80,000 (even 100,000 which is the factory spec'd interval) ... your fuel filter does not last as long ... you may want to check that (and at 34,000 and 14 years, you are overdue for a charge cooler pump failure which will surely cause dodgy performance).

If you want to discuss the ATF change interval, don't expect anything further from me on it as this is a worn-out silly debate (except perhaps the case of a car with 180,000 miles that has never had a tranny service... )

Cheers,
Chris

Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat

I had a ‘93 Concorde and a ‘95 LHS and a friend had a ‘94 one model below the Concorde, I cannot recall the name at the moment. His car suffered major transmission failure in the first year and my LHS had just a solenoid failure. It seems that these cars suffered more than average major tranny failures, I think I was lucky.
I still think these cars for all their faults, AC, tranny and wiring, were great cars, my 2007 300 however was a monumental piece of garbage. I replaced it with a Hyundai, great little car.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:04 PM

I still have an '02 Concorde Limited. GREAT car, only major issue was the A/C compressor, me and Rockauto fixed that.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:27 PM

I still have an '02 Concorde Limited. GREAT car, only major issue was the A/C compressor, me and Rockauto fixed that.
A, looks just like mine! Beautiful car. Tragedy that transmission fluid change at 42K basically totaled the car. I replaced the solenoid twice after the change. It was a disaster. Spent thousands on the transmission issues caused by the fluid change. Daughter was left stranded a couple of times with baby because it would just go into limp mode. Got rid of it for scrap. Also destroyed an 04 Concorde I had. At least with that one I did just one Solenoid repair and seemed to go along with less intermittent problems than the other one, but eventually got rid of it for cheap as well. The 04 I had in the family for 7 years without a problem. Then when I got the 03 Limited I decided to do it right, replace belts or chains on each, do tranny service as well, etc. The tranny service destroyed both of them within 2 months of having it done.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:34 PM

the only difference I see between the b service list I provided and the one you found is the power steering fluid .... up to you.

the debate about changing atf rages on ... I wont participate as it does not apply in your case or the case of any car I own (did your Concorde have a Mercedes transmission?) Mercedes and Chrysler did not include it in the B service purely for marketing reasons (calculated cost of ownership) ... They wised up on later models ... If you don't want to change yours, don't . Your pilot bushing WILL start leaking eventually (so you should change it before you get ATF in your TCU.

Very unusual for plugs to need replacing before 80,000 (even 100,000 which is the factory spec'd interval) ... your fuel filter does not last as long ... you may want to check that (and at 34,000 and 14 years, you are overdue for a charge cooler pump failure which will surely cause dodgy performance).

If you want to discuss the ATF change interval, don't expect anything further from me on it as this is a worn-out silly debate (except perhaps the case of a car with 180,000 miles that has never had a tranny service... )

Cheers,
Chris
Thanks, I think the Intercooler is what I need. Ordered one up along with the steering dampener for FCPEuro. Will possibly have brake fluid replaced as well. Car really felt sluggish this year. Like the supercharger wasn't kicking in all the time. I think I already did the electrical connection piece myself soon after I go the car in 2014. Though I remember seeing ATF on the floor which caused me to research the issue and find the easy fix. Unless that was some other part that would cause a leak to the floor?

Old 06-10-2019, 06:42 PM

Very rare to see one of these up here, they have gone to wrecker heaven. Sad.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:57 PM

Very rare to see one of these up here, they have gone to wrecker heaven. Sad.
LOL, we must have the same taste. Sitting here with an Aero Blue SRT6 as well.

Tan interior on the Limited?

Old 06-10-2019, 07:31 PM

No, dark gray leather, no rips or tears, only 69,000 miles !

Quick Reply: 50K mile maintenance on SRT6