Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Chrysler 3.5 V6 motor

Old 05-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chrysler 3.5 V6 motor

I removed the entire front suspension today. the bolts are all clean and repainted. I'll need 2 upper ball joints. the upper A arms are stiff on their bushings, so I will have to remove those and replace the bushings, which i already have from the last van. the lower control arms had heavy rust on them, so i will get them sand blasted and paint them next week. I guess everything will be closed until tuesday. happy memorial day

Old 06-16-2011, 01:14 AM
Forum Regular

this is what it looked like last month

and then

the ps rack is back in along with the new lines

I found a machinist to redrill my hubs so they all match. he will shorten my 1/2 shafts and make a plate the fuel pump module can seal to thats weldable.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Forum Regular

the fuel tank begins

Last edited by thummmper; 06-21-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Forum Regular

the tank is ready to tig weld now--wow! I got the top cut, fitted and tacked all today. 5 pieces in all, and the drain and vent too. I switched the filler tube for a longer one

and this is the first tank I have ever made too. It was fun.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Forum Regular

it fits!!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Forum Regular

ATF cooler and fuel lines are complete- recrimped with chrysler fittings

Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Forum Regular

brake switch for the chrysler system is in

Last edited by thummmper; 07-21-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Forum Regular

coolant bottle is in and the preliminary bundling of wires is working well.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Forum Regular

theres a hole in the bucket-- I was fabbing a new heater hose tube around the engine when I decided to rethread some ss wire through my mig welder, and it wouldnt pass the el at the gun, so I took it apart, got it through, and both wires were holding on by one or two strands at the trigger {miller!] [new machine] and nobody stocks narrow spade connectors [fem], so I have to recycle the old ones, like its the end of oil or something.
I'll get a lincoln next time. I have had more gun issues with my new miller than I have ever had before.
until the gun is repaired, I can't weld the fittings on my new coolant tubing. It will be farther away from the bell housing, away from the traffic jamb that's there now. i have more room than the factory did. the ambient temp sensor is installed and I am ideeing the van wiring --difficult due to the inconsistencies in the vw factory manual [bentley]--I noticed in later years, the bentley organization came of age and stopped scrawling buffalo on the cave walls. they became more chrysler-like. its any wonder why I want to use as many chrysler systems as possible. the documentation is ledgible

I got a dog today-- a 3 year old female english cocker spaniel named halley. she is just everything you want in a dog - 30 lbs, tan with white legs and spreckels- her eyes are clear and brown. great teeth. playful and sweet.
its been ten years since I had a dog [similar, male] life could start again for me. I lost my last spaniel just after my wife died in '01. it broke his heart and he hated the shop, even though I brought his couch along. He just run off one summer night without his collar. I will spoil her starting tuesday after her spay surgery. wow, a dog again!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by thummmper
theres a hole in the bucket-- I was fabbing a new heater hose tube around the engine when I decided to rethread some ss wire through my mig welder, and it wouldnt pass the el at the gun, so I took it apart, got it through, and both wires were holding on by one or two strands at the trigger {miller!] [new machine] and nobody stocks narrow spade connectors [fem], so I have to recycle the old ones, like its the end of oil or something.
I'll get a lincoln next time. I have had more gun issues with my new miller than I have ever had before.
until the gun is repaired, I can't weld the fittings on my new coolant tubing. It will be farther away from the bell housing, away from the traffic jamb that's there now. i have more room than the factory did. the ambient temp sensor is installed and I am ideeing the van wiring --difficult due to the inconsistencies in the vw factory manual [bentley]--I noticed in later years, the bentley organization came of age and stopped scrawling buffalo on the cave walls. they became more chrysler-like. its any wonder why I want to use as many chrysler systems as possible. the documentation is ledgible

I got a dog today-- a 3 year old female english cocker spaniel named halley. she is just everything you want in a dog - 30 lbs, tan with white legs and spreckels- her eyes are clear and brown. great teeth. playful and sweet.
its been ten years since I had a dog [similar, male] life could start again for me. I lost my last spaniel just after my wife died in '01. it broke his heart and he hated the shop, even though I brought his couch along. He just run off one summer night without his collar. I will spoil her starting tuesday after her spay surgery. wow, a dog again!
Good luck with the dog, you now have a new best friend forever.
It's great to see the work progressing nicely, keep up the good work.
I had a '93 Concorde and a '94 LHS, my '07 300 is a POS in comparison.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Forum Regular

thank you
that means really a lot to me-- like i made the right initial equipment choice-deal breaker or maker-- you guys validate me here!!
I will stay in the '96-'97 area for following conversions. I am actually in the planning stages for the second van. It currently has a subaru in it and will be sold out of it in running condition. I just have to work out the logistics.

that's nice to know the rep is good in this vintage. It's pretty consistent, too. the subaru was very reliable in those years too. clean, reseal and re-employ. this next one should be just 3 to 4 months and I will do the whole resto enchilada, in-n-out. that will be a keeper. then I have friends that will sell me their back burner vans for #3 & #4. with all I have learned on this one--it would be a waste to stop now.
I have a light camping version with thw weekender package I am going to make from scratch, without the popup and big cabinets/appliances.
It will be called Vanagon LHS Endeavour. It will have a fold away table and thin profile jump seats, plus storage for compact camping equipment like a coleman stove and such. A black water bag on the roof turns the rear hatch into a shower stall-- swedish camping stuff.
4 days to go before dog! thanks again. todd

Last edited by thummmper; 03-30-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Forum Regular

halley comes home on tuesday- She is my new everything--

and the heater pipe is coming along

Last edited by thummmper; 03-30-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Forum Regular

directional changes--94 eagle vision pipe

and the traffic jam is lessened

Old 08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Forum Regular

I just went through this entire thread.. andddd... IM SO LOOST!!!! whats happening here?!?! i see a 3.5L chrysler motor... and various car parts.. and stuff.. and and... AHHH!!! HELP

Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome work, I haven't checked this thread in a while and everything is coming out great!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Forum Regular

I found this thread [not mine originally] in a google search for anyone modifying the chrysler 3.5 v6 from the 90's. someone was asking if one could be used in a crossfire, and what were the dimensions....
back in june 2010 I installed a 94 eagle vision 3.5 v6 and 42le trans under the back seat of my 1989 vw vanagon. I had just finished a 2.2 4 cyl subaru conversion hanging on the vanagon transaxle. I didnt like that it wasnt a torque motor, and after talking with my smog ref in fullerton, california, I realized that the only way to get a v6 in a vanagon was with a factory matched transaxle. I had lost hope after considering most brands out there, which all failed my requirements due to dimensions or too small or just too expensive, until i walked up on a 94 new yorker in a jy and had an epipheny. an honest to god longitudinal front wheel drive powertrain under a low hoodline with a compact transaxle that had a good rep [unlike t&c vans] that was over 3 liters. and it looks cool to boot.
I bought the donor car from an air force reservist who took great care of it and sold it to me with a full tank-- the fact that i couldnt burn it all going to san diego and back was a good indicator of mileage too.

so- this sits under the back seat and is completely hidden. there is no loss of floor area forward of the bed seat.
I never liked the brakes on the vanagon, so i welded 1988 7 series beamer rear hub assembly/ brakes on the back with e brake and the fronts are getting jaguar 4 piston calipers [made by the same company that made the vanagon calipers] with upsized 284mm rotors and 16" ronal mercedes alloys, compared to the original 14s. with a shorter sidewall they are the same height overall as the 14s too.
the beamer rear hubs introduced its 930 cv half shafts as well, which are twice as strong as vanagons. I believe they run northstar v8 power through them on the dunes.
I had to reinvent some things along the way to solve problems, like redesigning the dash and fuel system and coolant systems just so i could use the required chrysler instrument cluster, fuel pump module and have the room to do it all.
We are at the 93% level now, with only a trail arm and halfshafts to finish followed only by the wiring splice in. i have scheduled three months just for that. the fuel tank will be tigged and finished for install next week.
to see the story from the beginning with all the drawings, etc, go to
TheSamba.com :: View topic - my middie

Last edited by thummmper; 03-30-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Forum Regular

I am passivating the welds in the tank with phosphoric acid as soon as it arrives [acid]- I need a piece of 1/2 fuel hose for the filler breather that is out of stock- next week-

Old 08-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Forum Regular

the parkerizing is in progress--just 18 hours now-- i will neutralize and drain it tomorrow after the 48 hour mark-- there were little bubbles coming up.

and halley is settling nicely after 2 weeks

Old 08-26-2011, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by dynamicS
Just doing research on the 3.5 chrysler v6, Is anybody here familiar with this engine? Anyone know of companies who offer aftermarket parts for it?

Chrysler 3.5L OHC V6 Engine Service

I can imagine that there's a sh*t load of them in the junk yards. From reading the details it sure sounds like a heavy duty motor, i.e forged crankshaft, 4 bolt end caps, single SOHC's, 4 valve heads. Sure sounds like a work horse. It might be candidate for a serious build up and then swap into the XF.
Where Can I find an Engine Coolant Temp Sensor Connector Harness? Mopar nor Chrysler dealership can provide them...

Old 08-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What is parkerizing? Cleaning the welding slag with acid?

Quick Reply: Chrysler 3.5 V6 motor