Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Fuel Filter Issue or ?

Old 06-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Issue or ?

Anyone else ever have this problem?
Doing preventive maint on my 05 Base. 70k miles. Removed original fuel filter and installed a WIX filter which looked exactly like the one I removed except part number was different and it did not have the little mercedes star on it.

Problem. Car now takes 10-12 seconds of cranking to start. Used to start in say 2 seconds. Question - Is there any sort of check valve in the Mercedes unit? Issue seems to be fuel pressure has to build up before engine can fire. If I shut it off and wait a small while, it starts immediately. Let it sit 5 minutes or so and it reverts to the long cranking.

Is this an amazing coincidence and a fuel pressure check valve elsewhere in the system failed just when I changed the filter? Or is my WIX filter different than the Mercedes?

BTW, I am a long time forum member but was unable to log on and had to create a new User Name as I hope to hear back from someone

HP

Old 06-22-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Filter Issue or ?

Yes, the OEM filters contain a check valve.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:19 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

Another reason I buy most of my stuff from Rob at Needswings - I cna't stand fooling with issues like this.

It could be a coincidence - you can prove what is going on by measuring fuel pressure at the end of the rail towards the front of the engine. THere are kits you cna buy to easily measure the pressure - you should see something over 40 pounds. (I THNIK the spec is 50-55, but Dave (100/80) will chime in when he sees this......)

Old 06-22-2018, 03:22 PM

You can also determine if this is the issue by turning ignition on, listen till pump stops, turn ignition off, then on again.
Do this about 3 times before you actually go to 'start'
If it fires right up, pressure was the issue.

( and the spec is 52 - 60 PSI - Dave's napping, them old geezers do that this time of day )

Old 06-22-2018, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire

(Dave's napping, them old geezers do that this time of day )
He isn't older than YOU is he? I mean, is ANYONE?

Old 06-22-2018, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
He isn't older than YOU is he? I mean, is ANYONE?
Not many. Dave and Carl come to mind of people I am familiar with, although Dave and I have actually never met.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey all - BIG thanks for the quick responses! I had looked under FAQ, known issues etc but did not see the answer there - course I'm half blind in one eye and can 't see out the other. We have a garage with lots of tools but Crossfire is a personal car and we don't have an adapter to fit the Merc engine fuel port - guess I will have to buy one! Cycling the key on and off did the trick.

Already went to town and bought a store brand Mercedes Benz filter - identical part number to original. Only difference is the first one in the car was made in Austria, the new one is made in Germany. Cost twice as much as the Wix thing but hey!

thanks again.

Henry

Old 06-23-2018, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably replaced the original clamps with the screw type clamps. The screw type clamps cannot hold the pressure and air is leaking past them causing the long start. Once you replace the clamps with the crimp style, I am sure that your long start problem will go away

Old 06-23-2018, 01:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lllouj1
The screw type clamps cannot hold the pressure and air is leaking past them causing the long start. Once you replace the clamps with the crimp style, I am sure that your long start problem will go away
Why is there air? And I have to question this post.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:15 AM

Question all you want. A new filter will do the exact same thing as long as you use the wrong clamps. You have to replace the clamps and use the crimp type clamps that was originally on the hoses. Until then, air will keep leaking past the clamps causing long starts. You can try tightening your clamps but they will eventually leak again until you replace them with a crimp style.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:05 AM

Question all you want. A new filter will do the exact same thing as long as you use the wrong clamps. You have to replace the clamps and use the crimp type clamps that was originally on the hoses. Until then, air will keep leaking past the clamps causing long starts. You can try tightening your clamps but they will eventually leak again until you replace them with a crimp style.
I replaced my filter in 2011 and used screw type clamps. Not a single slow start or any other problem since.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a weird thing to say. I believe we've all used screw clamps , on every vehicle we've owned. But , you cant use a 2" clamp on a 5/16" line and expect it to work....

Old 06-23-2018, 09:08 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Can you explain why a gap that allows the air to leak into a hose does not leak from that gap with a back pressure of 50 psi on two ports?
With no pressure in the hoses gasoline should leak from that gap, air would not leak in though.
I agree that the crimp style clamps are preferable to the screw type clamp on the small diameters.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-23-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You probably replaced the original clamps with the screw type clamps. The screw type clamps cannot hold the pressure and air is leaking past them causing the long start. Once you replace the clamps with the crimp style, I am sure that your long start problem will go away
Do you work for CNN? That sounds like fake tech tips! Lol

Old 06-23-2018, 10:43 AM

A set of these might not be a bad idea, haven't tried them on our fuel lines myself, but think I might.
Stainless Steel, and they will maintain pressure unlike the screw type clamps :

https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-spec...335117#reviews

Old 06-23-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
A set of these might not be a bad idea, haven't tried them on our fuel lines myself, but think I might.
Stainless Steel, and they will maintain pressure unlike the screw type clamps :

https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-spec...335117#reviews
But can they hold that 50 + psi over time, I would hate to find that they fail miles from anywhere.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:07 AM

But can they hold that 50 + psi over time, I would hate to find that they fail miles from anywhere.
Good point.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:23 PM

Try tightening up the screw clamps to prove my point of an air leak. It should work for a day or two and this will prove my point. Then you need to replace with crimp type. Then we will see whose right or wrong!

Old 06-23-2018, 05:20 PM

Try tightening up the screw clamps to prove my point of an air leak. It should work for a day or two and this will prove my point. Then you need to replace with crimp type. Then we will see whose right or wrong!
The hoses are not a loose fit on the filter so even without a clamp they would not leak air, they would of course come loose with pressure in the hose. If the pressure drops in the system very quickly then the regulator in the filter has failed, it is a fairly common problem which you would know if you did a search on the subject. Replacing the filter with one 5hst does not have the regulator in it will mimic the filter with the totally failed regulator.
You need to tell us how an air leak does not result in gasoline leaking through the same gap.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-23-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by HPMotors1
Hey all - BIG thanks for the quick responses! I had looked under FAQ, known issues etc but did not see the answer there - course I'm half blind in one eye and can 't see out the other. We have a garage with lots of tools but Crossfire is a personal car and we don't have an adapter to fit the Merc engine fuel port - guess I will have to buy one! Cycling the key on and off did the trick.

Already went to town and bought a store brand Mercedes Benz filter - identical part number to original. Only difference is the first one in the car was made in Austria, the new one is made in Germany. Cost twice as much as the Wix thing but hey!

thanks again.

Henry
Let us know if this works out.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Issue or ?