Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Carbon Fiber Rear Diffusers

Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Diffusers

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
Exactly!

Throw me in too!

List should be current at this point. Obviously the interest is here, so It's time to spend the time on seeing where we can get these to on a production / cost basis. Please do note the price is a "target" price.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Great! this puppy may fly way faster than I thought. And if you didn't notice on the SRT-6.com website.. carbon fiber hoods might be on the horizon with them too..
Yea MrMiata I saw that but I have to admit I fought you tooth and nail over that whole thing (now realizing unnecessarily I might add) but I realize what you were trying to get across to me, quite late I might add. But I now realize it so much that I cannot begin to get enthused about that whole hood thing until I see it happening. When I see credible people such as yourself get enthused about the prospect and/or orchestrating the matter I will then become enthused.

One other thing. In doing my homework on this forum you made a post that made quite a bit of sense when I sat back and thought about it. You said that for the $900 for a hood you would want something a little more radical than a couple of slotted vent holes in the hood. When I really looked at the design I too pondered whether I was really getting value for my money. So, you have me really rethinking the whole hood thing.

SORRY everyone. I know I committed the cardinal sin of hijacking the thread and I promise I will not do it again.

SrWilliams

Last edited by SrWilliams; 03-21-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 AM

Put me on the list please. I've got the OEM style carbon fiber hood (frankly I love the fluted original style) and the addition of the diffusers would complement it nicely. I also have the CF dash overlay. So...put me on the list, but do your best at negotiating a fair price. The freight from Europe via UPS should be negligible considering one box, and CF weighs next to nothing. In addition, I would love an OEM CF spoiler for the roadster.

Last edited by gehoben; 03-21-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Waiting on the sidelines, trying to figure out if I should sell my OEM ones before the market dries up LOL

Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone actually have the genuine Mopar part to volunteer for the mold?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 AM

We're still basically on topic..LOL. This is about launching a carbon fiber lineup. I could appreciate your enthusiasm over the carbon fiber hood group buy, but felt you needed a little reality thrown in with it.
When it's been on the table for six months and there are only 4 or so ready and willing odds are it's not going anywhere unless someone with deep enough pockets steps up and fills it to the 10 needed.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Waiting on the sidelines, trying to figure out if I should sell my OEM ones before the market dries up LOL

We've had a few differences along the way.. but lets put them aside and talk. We do need a prototype now that enough interest has shown this is a worth while venture.

Just read that "we".. lol. Hell I'm just playing go between.. but lets see what we can work out on your OEM's.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by gehoben
Put me on the list please. I've got the OEM style carbon fiber hood (frankly I love the fluted original style) and the addition of the diffusers would complement it nicely. I also have the CF dash overlay. So...put me on the list, but do your best at negotiating a fair price. The freight from Europe via UPS should be negligible considering one box, and CF weighs next to nothing. In addition, I would love an OEM CF spoiler for the roadster.
Got you added. And apparently shipping anything from there is not a cheap date. We may swing this to one bulk shipment and distribution state side to reduce cost, it's an option being considered.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Got you added. And apparently shipping anything from there is not a cheap date. We may swing this to one bulk shipment and distribution state side to reduce cost, it's an option being considered.
Good idea. The CF diffusers should stack pretty well into one package, and shouldn't weigh too much.
( I'm thinking about jumping in, haven't decided yet )

Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Good idea. The CF diffusers should stack pretty well into one package, and shouldn't weigh too much.
We (Nissan) do this quite often with finishers that we send to the production lines in Spain... finished parts can be nested within each other with a layer of bubble-wrap in between. As long as there is ample padding inside the box, the parcel should pass the "shake test" and there should be zero part mutilation. I'd estimate the diffusers to weigh ~1 pound per pair... so, a bulk shipment of 20 pair shipped via DHL might be a consideration. Entire container, including packaging, shouldn't exceed 50 pounds.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Trying to get our ducks in a row and bypass any cave in's.. LOL. Last thing we need is an expensive surprise thrown in the middle of it all.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
We (Nissan) do this quite often with finishers that we send to the production lines in Spain... finished parts can be nested within each other with a layer of bubble-wrap in between. As long as there is ample padding inside the box, the parcel should pass the "shake test" and there should be zero part mutilation. I'd estimate the diffusers to weigh ~1 pound per pair... so, a bulk shipment of 20 pair shipped via DHL might be a consideration. Entire container, including packaging, shouldn't exceed 50 pounds.
That's what were thinking.. could ship 10 sets for the price of two directly. $45 dollar shipping fee kinda puts a dark cloud on top of things. And I'm guessing $10-$15 should get them anwhere when shipping state to state. (Sorry Canadian friends.. LOL)

Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's what were thinking.. could ship 10 sets for the price of two directly. $45 dollar shipping fee kinda puts a dark cloud on top of things. And I'm guessing $10-$15 should get them anwhere when shipping state to state. (Sorry Canadian friends.. LOL)
Even thinking "exorbitant" -- if the shipping was $100 for DHL International, it could be split amongst the 20 buyers (based on the interest in these, 20 should be easy) and the shipping could be pre-paid and factored into the piece price. So the $250 diffuser pair becomes $260 shipped. One shipment/box means a much lower chance of damage, versus five shipments of 4 pair each. It also helps provide some CYA to the seller because he can guarantee that all 20 left Europe intact and secure in one nice, sturdy package.

Given that we've had to wait indefinitely for the Mopar ones to surface, I don't think anyone would protest to allowing the orders to build up long enough to ship them by bulk in a nicer package. If we wanted to be completely pro-active and OCD, we could pre-pay the recipient of the bulk shipment for some USPS "flat rate boxes" once they arrived to the states. Most of those can go anywhere for $7-$12.

So, the net impact is $20-$25 total shipping (paid by the buyer) for a product that is rare and comes from Sweden? Still a great deal...

Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Forum Regular

Okay guys, time to steer head another one.

Most know these are no longer produced and add a nice flair to the tail end. Fiberglass repops were reportedly heavy and fit took some finesse to fit (and no longer produced again). Since the OEM were a type of poly plastic you could work with them for that "just right" position.

SRT6.com has agreed to look into reproduction from carbon fiber if enough interest is generated to make it worth while. 10 is a target audience, and I know going through threads there is that many wanting them in the past. $250 is the target price also.

If you look at the website, they are not looking to be a fly by night gig, so I feel this would be the best shot at seeing them again.

So I'm here to toss this on the table to you guys. And if your not sure what they are (newer members) I stole this picture from the forum...

1. Mrmiata
2. velociabstract
3. S. Artee
4. SrWilliams
5. acrispy1
6. rayth
7. JHM2K
8. mferreira3417
9. Mike1118
10. sk8erjosh09
11. gehoben
12. csteve0355

I'm on board also.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM

I'm on board

Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM

Great! The more we can get on board I think we have a better shot at getting that target price. Since no numbers have been determined as far as prototyping this helps absorb those fees..

Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rayth
Does anyone actually have the genuine Mopar part to volunteer for the mold?
Certainly, there are several of us who have them. I would try to help out the cause depending on how it worked out, if it were during the winter, it would have been much easier because so many store the cars and want to enjoy them in the spring, but hindsight is 20/20...

Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM

We're still basically on topic..LOL. This is about launching a carbon fiber lineup. I could appreciate your enthusiasm over the carbon fiber hood group buy, but felt you needed a little reality thrown in with it.
When it's been on the table for six months and there are only 4 or so ready and willing odds are it's not going anywhere unless someone with deep enough pockets steps up and fills it to the 10 needed.
And I wholeheatedly agree!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Certainly, there are several of us who have them. I would try to help out the cause depending on how it worked out, if it were during the winter, it would have been much easier because so many store the cars and want to enjoy them in the spring, but hindsight is 20/20...
And even then I realize that they do have the tape so it's not a simple matter of a couple of screws. Still working out the logistics for a mold sample.. OEM Poly which has the flex.. and not an ideal mold, or try for the fiberglass and pre determine any needed tweaks.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Forum Regular

List has grown rather quickly!

I for one (or many) would love to see the return of a CF hood with some heat evacuation built-in.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Rear Diffusers