Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Carbon Fiber Rear Diffusers

Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts
Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Diffusers

Not to be a Donny Downer but ..............

The list has grown quickly, I have the feeling that the list will get shorter even quicker when the price goes up and it will.
I think $250 is a low price for FG let alone CF, I am quite possibly interested at $350 inc. shipping but I am not convinced the price is practical from a manufacturing point of view. They will be FG with a CF top coat I assume, cheaper that way.

Anyone who makes them wants to make a profit and 10 sets at $250 per set is not lucrative enough. Profit has to be at least 1/3rd and $800 and all the time and tooling involved would not make it at all worthwhile or practical.

I think 30 minimum may be a feasible number but not at $250 a set.

They will not stack too well, so the packaging is more expensive. Coming from Europe will be costly, maybe too much to handle.

Maybe the original OEM tooling is still laying around the back lot of some factory somewhere, now that would be worth having. Fubu should start looking for it.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Debbie.. those kids in China are dying for work.. lighten up!

It has to start somewhere.. I asked him about $250.. he said gather 10 buyers.. and here we are. So now we get down to the meat and potatoes of it all. Nobody wants to go out $500 or more for prototype and time and effort to find you can sell 2.
Key word which has been repeated is "target price". We got four digital camera's to attend a tax investment seminar.. we signed up for the tax investment. Break even on diffusers and sell another 20 matching canards... just made money didn't you. Guess one has to look farther than the "immediate" product when your presenting a line of products.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 03-21-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Hey Debbie.. those kids in China are dying for work.. lighten up!
You know how hard these things are to set up, I'm just adding a touch of reality to the RAH RAH show.

I'm not doing too bad on my turbo completion time guesstimate bet, I do not think anyone took my time as a serious one at the time.

It just takes a click of the keyboard to jump in, but reality, the missus and second thoughts cut the lists down quickly when it comes to spending some cash.

Do I have to say I told you so in a few months?

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-21-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 PM

Did you see a production launch date mentioned.. or did you see the words feeler. No one has committed to anything other than being willing to purchase if the price comes in at Target price. I will be more than happy to apologize for every one having wasted 2 minutes of keyboard time if it doesn't come to pass.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in at the target price, even a bit higher, say the $350 mark after shipping costs.

I do agree with 180 that for this price point they might be carbon fiber overlayed on fiberglass, but im sure they arent going to be terribly heavy either way.

Thanks for heading this up Miata!

Ps, also interested in a CF roadster limited wing to match.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You know how hard these things are to set up, I'm just adding a touch of reality to the RAH RAH show.

Molds and such are not my line of work. But the guy that set this in motion apparently does. See new wing thread.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 PM

Did you see a production launch date mentioned.. or did you see the words feeler. No one has committed to anything other than being willing to purchase if the price comes in at Target price. I will be more than happy to apologize for every one having wasted 2 minutes of keyboard time if it doesn't come to pass.
I just made those comments because these are not something that is knocked up over night and shipped the next morning. They have to fit and fit well, I saw the fiasco where Home Depot brackets were to be used to hold on 'Custom' rocker panels. People were conned into throwing money into that project just to ship crap that was obvious crap. That project died and all was forgotten. Then we had other pie in the sky projects, strakes and these same diffusers as well, likewise doomed after some paid good money.The turbo project is going down hill fast, you were the second on the list and were probably the first to bail out when you saw the direction it was going.

So forgive me if I am a little dubious about these projects. I would guess that one in five similar projects ended as planned, I hope this does but at $250? Not.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 PM

The turbo project is going down hill fast, you were the second on the list and were probably the first to bail out when you saw the direction it was going.

So forgive me if I am a little dubious about these projects. I would guess that one in five similar projects ended as planned, I hope this does but at $250? Not.

Actually the second to "officially" bail out with the tittle of "Great defender of Corky" if memory serves. And downhill fast? I'd hate to see your definition of a slow death.

I can't help but feel you have your mind set on what this thread is for and there is no use in pointing things out further.. This is not an "official" sign up pay deposit deed to first born thread.. it is a sign up "feeler" thread to see where we can take it. I've got the requested list of potential purchasers as requested. As far as my commitment to this I'm done by all rights and the ball is in someone else's court.
But I personally would like to see this through one way or another. Forgive me for cluttering your "new post" inbox.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM

Actually the second to "officially" bail out with the tittle of "Great defender of Corky" if memory serves. And downhill fast? I'd hate to see your definition of a slow death.

I can't help but feel you have your mind set on what this thread is for and there is no use in pointing things out further.. This is not an "official" sign up pay deposit deed to first born thread.. it is a sign up "feeler" thread to see where we can take it. I've got the requested list of potential purchasers as requested. As far as my commitment to this I'm done by all rights and the ball is in someone else's court.
But I personally would like to see this through one way or another. Forgive me for cluttering your "new post" inbox.

[/SIZE]
You have to get upset with everything you fail to understand. Explanation; if you see something going down hill before every one else you are seeing it go down hill fast, if you stay in to the end you obviously missed the down hill part.

I am not going to discuss this any more, you got the first Turbo thread shut down as you did not know when to quit.

I am sensing this is going down hill fast, so I have no more interest in these diffusers.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:45 PM

I am sensing this is going down hill fast, so I have no more interest in these diffusers.
Thank you. I'm sure "we" can manage to succeed or fail and not notice you weren't here to say "I told you so".

Old 03-22-2013, 02:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Great too see many involved and interested
2. Target price can change for sure. CF , GF , shipping , moldprice, number of ppl involved. Remember, the copies cost 250 usd and are not cf so having the same price on them seem unbeliavable.
3. We need something to mold from (that we do not have)

In short,

Now we have 13 enthusiasts - great (but how long and to what price level will you stay)
We have a manufacturer - great
We need to decide whether full cf or gf.
We definitely need something to mold from, any ideas / volunteers?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some added insurance a group target of 25 might be more realistic.

And when this pulls off, I'll donate my set to 180 as cessation for his grim outlook.

Totally kidding on that last part.

Originally Posted by FUBU
2. Target price can change for sure. CF , GF , shipping , moldprice, number of ppl involved. Remember, the copies cost 250 usd and are not cf so having the same price on them seem unbeliavable.

In short,

Now we have 13 enthusiasts - great (but how long and to what price level will you stay)

Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Looking at the typical Crossfire owner ...... don't look too close please, I think fit and finish will be more important than price. As for me, I want it all! Light, functional and drop dead gorgeous. Truthfully, looking back, I wish I had a fiberglass/carbon look hood even if it had problems with fit and wobbling in the wind. So, I don't see myself backing out of this one. Just don't go into business with Dan. No one involved can be named Dan.

Les

Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM

You can add me l, as long someone is willing to ship some to the Netherlands.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In short,

1. Interest is certainly here, on a broad scale. 13 people in one day... many people don't log on daily so expect this number to rise.
  2. The copies are priced at $250 because the originals were $250... if people will pay it, why charge less? Remember, Chrysler charges anywhere between $50-$80 for a plastic bin that goes in place of their rotten cupholder design. It's not a matter of what costs to produce -- it's what the manufacturer has the ***** to charge
  3. I'd volunteer a set, but I don't have a set. Anyone out there? .
I'm with Les -- price can wiggle a bit, given the rarity of the product. Fit & finish is paramount, but I'm not as concerned with weight... so if this needs to be a carbon-wrapped fiberglass piece, so be it. I don't expect Vörsteiner pre-preg quality for $250... I'm realistic. That being said, if the price climbs over $400, it won't sell well -- because I can buy the fiberglass reproduction for $250 and have it wrapped in CF locallly for roughly the same cost... no group-buy needed.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
  1. Interest is certainly here, on a broad scale. 13 people in one day... many people don't log on daily so expect this number to rise.
  2. The copies are priced at $250 because the originals were $250... if people will pay it, why charge less? Remember, Chrysler charges anywhere between $50-$80 for a plastic bin that goes in place of their rotten cupholder design. It's not a matter of what costs to produce -- it's what the manufacturer has the ***** to charge
  3. I'd volunteer a set, but I don't have a set. Anyone out there? .
I'm with Les -- price can wiggle a bit, given the rarity of the product. Fit & finish is paramount, but I'm not as concerned with weight... so if this needs to be a carbon-wrapped fiberglass piece, so be it. I don't expect Vörsteiner pre-preg quality for $250... I'm realistic. That being said, if the price climbs over $400, it won't sell well -- because I can buy the fiberglass reproduction for $250 and have it wrapped in CF locallly for roughly the same cost... no group-buy needed.
And just as a footnote, I've ran across OEM ads pricing showing just over $200 on these, and you know that wasn't an "our cost clearance". I know in our business (sheetmetal and fabrication) we give a quote based on feeble prints and design. Does it not work this way in the mold production world?
Or is this going to be "somebody" go buy a set so they can build it and charge what they want for development from it and we'll let you know after you pay for the prototype what we can build it for?
Basically somebody invest a grand so they can let you know what it will cost in a production run.. ?

Like I stated earlier "this is not my world.. I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut.."

Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I'd volunteer a set, but I don't have a set. Anyone out there?
Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Certainly, there are several of us who have them. I would try to help out the cause depending on how it worked out...
Once potential donors are given some details, I am sure you will not have a problem. It all depends if the part will be returned, time needed, if a deal would be given for some incentive, etc.

I have put myself out there, many posts ago, but need more info before I could commit fully.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Forum Regular

im not sure if im wanting to go with CF but if anyone is selling there old ones for an upgrade to CF...let me know, if theres still spots available and cant get the old ones from a member ill just go for a set of these.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I have never seen or held a diffusor (OEM or the glassfiber copies) IRL so the question that seem to be the issue of this project failing is:

if we make an exact copy of (either oem or the gf copy) and make it in cf material will it be a good fit. I can only tall the manufacture this: here is the piece, make a mold and x copies. If you say that the OEM diffusers are flexible and needed to flex in order to get a good fit, I would say that cf material do not flex. neither does glass fibre. But as I have never seen an oem on, or the copies, I cannot see how there should not be a good fit. But maybe you guys who own them can help me out understanding this. maybe photos of a bad fit. Anyways, if there is a slight chance of bad fitment from the start if we copy and make a mold of the oem/gf copies, then we need to do some from scratch. Let me say this, we are making some, if it is for everyone or just adams black series, depends really on this fitment issue. I do not want to carry out group buy for a product that is bound to crash and burn from the start. Either we all gamble (fitment) or we just go for plastic oem and foliate them in carbon fiber.

But just look at the SLS AMG BS, so nice with the carbon fiber... so what do you guys think.. will the mold arise? if yes, should we try to reproduce it in cf? or will the fitment issue still occur due to material choice.

Tired now, hope english is alright.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As I have never seen or held a diffusor (OEM or the glassfiber copies) IRL so the question that seem to be the issue of this project failing is:

if we make an exact copy of (either oem or the gf copy) and make it in cf material will it be a good fit. I can only tall the manufacture this: here is the piece, make a mold and x copies. If you say that the OEM diffusers are flexible and needed to flex in order to get a good fit, I would say that cf material do not flex. neither does glass fibre. But as I have never seen an oem on, or the copies, I cannot see how there should not be a good fit. But maybe you guys who own them can help me out understanding this. maybe photos of a bad fit. Anyways, if there is a slight chance of bad fitment from the start if we copy and make a mold of the oem/gf copies, then we need to do some from scratch. Let me say this, we are making some, if it is for everyone or just adams black series, depends really on this fitment issue. I do not want to carry out group buy for a product that is bound to crash and burn from the start. Either we all gamble (fitment) or we just go for plastic oem and foliate them in carbon fiber.

But just look at the SLS AMG BS, so nice with the carbon fiber... so what do you guys think.. will the mold arise? if yes, should we try to reproduce it in cf? or will the fitment issue still occur due to material choice.

Tired now, hope english is alright.
Your English is ****, Phil!!! J/K

The rear fascia (bumper) is a TPE plastic bumper... so, it has a bit of flex to it. It's to be expected that if you took a mold of 20 bumpers, there would be a millimeter or two difference between each of them based on chassis flex over the years (we are putting these on eight-year-old vehicles, after all). The OEM diffusers (Mopar) are made of the same flexible TPE material as the bumper -- in other words, if there is any deformation in the bumper, the Mopar diffusers will simply flex to follow the millimetric deviation. Again, we're not talking massive warping... just a slight radii change from the rear edge of fascia to the part going underneath the car (from one vehicle to the next).

The carbon-fiber (CF) pieces will have the same rigidity as the fiberglass (FG) pieces that are currently available. So, it really won't matter which piece (Mopar or FG) your guys use as a mold, because the finished pieces will be rigid no matter what. The tolerance will need to be on the back side of the piece... the "finished" outer surface should be uniform no matter what. Any minimal "tweaks" that need to happen for proper flush fitment can be performed on the side that adheres to the car. Once installed, you'll never see it.

Of course, you will need to drill weep holes in the bottoms of the fins to allow water to escape (just like on the Mopar units)

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Rear Diffusers