Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

New mount for my V1...

Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: New mount for my V1...

Chris, how does the V1 work with the top up??? In the Crossfire Coupe it would be looking at the rear roof if mounted that high..... not sure the rear reception would be too good... but I am happy with it sitting right below the mirror and it doesn't interfere with my view..... my old triple pillar pod bothered me more....

Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeR
Chris, how does the V1 work with the top up??? In the Crossfire Coupe it would be looking at the rear roof if mounted that high..... not sure the rear reception would be too good... but I am happy with it sitting right below the mirror and it doesn't interfere with my view..... my old triple pillar pod bothered me more....
Good question, Mike.

In my car, I can detect no decrease in reception with the top up (vs top down). Perhaps with some sophisticated signal logging arrangement a meaningful difference could be found.

I did take into consideration the V1's view to the rear (with top up) when choosing the location (making sure it was not so high as to be obstructed). The defrost element and factory tinting of the rear window are potential sources of interference that are beyond my control, but I feel that it does not create an issue in my car (the rear window of an slk is not nearly as steep as that of a crossfire coupe) ... I have never looked at the rear window of a crossfire soft top to contemplate angle or height relative to V1 rear-view considerations, so I cant comment on that.

In all honesty, I have my top down 330+ days a year. I park in the garage with the top down, and in the morning if it is cold .... i turn on the seat heater ... on the odd days that it is raining, I put the top up (sometimes : )

You would be a far better judge than I as to what the level of obstruction to the rear in a coupe might be (for a V1 mounted at the height I have my V1), But I looked at a few side-view pictures of coupes and it looked like the rear glass ends slightly higher than the front, so, to me, it looked like a non-issue.

However, many people are very happy with the below mirror mounting location. I really like how you turned an interesting ebay find into a really cool crossfire solution .... nice work !

Chris

Old 01-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Thanks Chris... eyeballing the coupe it looks like the roof/rear window line is just below the line where you have the visor mount.... it might work fine in the coupe.... I do like the 'stealth' factor.... but my lady passengers would be put out if I lost the mirror on the back of the visor....

Old 01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks Chris... eyeballing the coupe it looks like the roof/rear window line is just below the line where you have the visor mount.... it might work fine in the coupe.... I do like the 'stealth' factor.... but my lady passengers would be put out if I lost the mirror on the back of the visor....
Disappointing the ladies is outside of my skill-set, too

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1140099.JPG (423.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg
P1140100.JPG (367.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris-

Fantastic job with the mount and the concealed display.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT6_Roadster
Chris-

Fantastic job with the mount and the concealed display.

Thanks for the kind words Jeremy,
The remote display (integrated into my dash) is a mod I appreciate every single day.

If anyone wants to try it on a crossfire, I would be happy to provide them with additional info and photos (and details on changing LED colors in the remote display which I highly recommend)

The "steathy" mount for the Valentine 1 that I crated may not be for everyone (I would not have done it if I hadn't an extra visor to sacrifice), but I wanted to be able to mount it in such a way that it would not be an invitation for theft (even though I have upgraded my alarm to include a microwave proximity/motion sensor, I just don't want to invite trouble).

Another forum member has asked me to create a mount for the V1 that is similar to the DASHdaq mount I made for 32Krazy! https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post647776 The idea being to not necessitate cutting the visor. It would be on the passenger side (approx where mine is, though slightly forward and perhaps a skosh lower ) I may have some pics of that soon.

Chris

got paddles?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM

Chris.... the paddles work fine when the wiring is plugged in right.... we are soaking in rain so I can't play around with them.... they are VERY solid and the install makes them look like factory equipment.... thanks again..

Old 01-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Forum Regular

Chris.... the paddles work fine when the wiring is plugged in right.... we are soaking in rain so I can't play around with them.... they are VERY solid and the install makes them look like factory equipment.... thanks again..

Hey Mike,
I never doubted your ability for a moment

I am always happy to assist as needed on a paddle install (or anywhere else I can for that matter) and it is always particularly nice to work with a talented fabricator such as yourself.

Thanks for your feedback and the great pictures that you took during your install! I will be updating the instructions soon and am certain to use some of them.

When you get a dry day (dry day ... in Oregon? ... you may have to drive to another state) run that beautiful car of yours through its paces (and thru the gears) and post some impressions (if you would be so kind) in the paddle thread https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...dle-shift.html

thanks.
Chris