Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Stereo Replacement

Old 12-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Replacement

Hello,

I am brand new here, I bought a 2005 Crossfire hatchback a few days ago. I love the audio but hate the stereo interface. The sub and speakers sound great but that infinity with the non mp3 CD player and the Nokia-like display is just awful. I really want to replace it but i do not know much about cars and wouldn't know where to start. Can I just buy a new stereo on Amazon that will fit the car and install it? Or does it have to be special to control the speakers? Sorry for the noobie questions, but I figured this was a good place to ask them.

Thanks in advance,

Cody

Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Stereo Replacement

A single din head unit is about the only "requirement". A stereo from crutchfields will include the special removal tool for the OEM unit.. a harness plug adapter.. and an antenna adapter. Crutchfields doesn't have the harness adapter for wiring directly off the stereo's speaker wires. There's is an rca plug, which will work fine "if" you make sure the head unit has 4v output. A Schosche (VW) one does work fine for speaker lead setup.

Those are the "basics".. a search on stereo will bring up plenty for the fine tuning on the install.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 01-01-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Place to start is here. Once you understand what is involved, not that hard) you need to ask some questions:
1) Have you installed a stereo before (if not seek professional help).
2) What do you want in a stereo (match dash, CD/DVD, Bluetooth, USB, aux, Sirius, Pandora,...) ? Make sure the selection has the inputs and outputs needed for the system (e.g. pin A5 to turn on the amp.)
3) What is your budget (could be DIY for $120-$150, I spent about $200)
4) Get everything you need: removal keys, adapters for connectors and antenna, soldering or crimping equipment
5) Print out instructions and pinouts needed.
6) Allocate enough time for the job) is going to be a mess in the middle, took me about three hours. Am reasonably skilled and have done before but am very very slow.

And just a side note: space behind the radio is limited so eliminate as many wires as possible and make connections as neat as you can. Is best to just match the factory wiring and just use the front speaker leads, rewiring everything to the amp is in the "lot of time for limited gains" category

I am not completely happy with mine yet, needs to go in another 1/2" so must clean up leads behind but is fully functional

Old 01-01-2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
And just a side note: space behind the radio is limited so eliminate as many wires as possible and make connections as neat as you can. Is best to just match the factory wiring and just use the front speaker leads, rewiring everything to the amp is in the "lot of time for limited gains" category

I am not completely happy with mine yet, needs to go in another 1/2" so must clean up leads behind but is fully functional
I'll have to say the ability to have front/rear control as "limited gains" is a personal opinion. Mine is on the other end of the scale. Was well worth breaking out into a true 4 channel system. You don't have to "rewire everything".. you pull two sets of wires (speaker leads) from the HU to the amp, cut the leads feeding the input to rears at the amp and splice your new wires in.

My car has been done this way, and the wife's roadster just got a quickie - straight up harness install - about a 15 minute job after pre wiring the harness while watching Duck Dynasty. If your adapter has the blue wires loose in the package.. install one next to the yellow wire- this is amp turn on lead. Swap the red - yellow wires connections (constant power and key on power). Wire the front hu speaker leads to the harness as instructed. As another note.. my Clarion had the RCA leads on wires from the HU.. made a tight fit. The wife's Kenwood unit has direct plug in RCA, and slid right in without any issues.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:11 PM

Which Clarion did you use ? Mine is the M303 to match the dash but the CZ302 seems to have a lot less wires in the back (but is black - thinking about one for the Reatta 'vert which is a black dash - am getting used to all of this modern stuff 8*)

No word from TA on the 07 FSM I ordered & need to get the glove box out thanks to knee air bag. Does removing the glove box give access to the back of the radio cavity ?

Am hearing impaired so front/rear difference is no big to me, agree it should be easy to add.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:56 PM

I went with the CZ501 off ebay.. was $100 date. After a week if that long, you don't even pay attention to a black faced stereo.. It matches the climate control indicators anyways.. LOL. Mine is an 04 model, so I wouldn't know about the glove box and the air bag stuff. But I have my doubts as the console side goes all the way back if I recall correctly. I just fished a clothes hanger wire under it on the edge and pulled my wires in, and tucked them up high in the dash to run under the carpet to the amp,

Old 01-26-2014, 12:10 AM

Just a bit of followon, my 90 'vert has a black dash so went with a CZ702 to match the green dials and was surprised that it came with a remote that works with the M-303 in the Crossfire.

Did receive the FSM and was right about the two bolts.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went for the Clarion NZ502E,a single din unit with a 7" slide out screen.Its got a parrot bluetooth unit built in,sat nav,full ipod control and great DVD replay.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1384521900379.jpg (24.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 PM

I am using the M303 ($150) with a Encore Windows Tablet with an 8" screen ($250) plus about $50 in interface and installation stuff. Microsoft Streets and Trips ($18) uses the internal GPS and has full web and Office access as well.

Nice part is that I can use the tab in any car with an AUX jack or as a PC at home Did have to make the slipover for the glove box door.

(phone is displaying engine parameters, tab is sat nav & music player).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dualtab.JPG (37.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:23 AM

The harness adapter.. cheap cheap cheap.. at least compared to what I paid at Best Buy for my car.. this is the vender I used with the wife's roadster..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOSCHE-1986-UP-VOLKSWAGEN-WIRE-INSTALL-HARNESS-VW01B-/360844802136?pt=US_Wire_Harnesses&hash=item540406b858