Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Double Din Dash Kit - Teaser - Far from done!

Old 02-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Double Din Dash Kit - Teaser - Far from done!

Originally Posted by Da55id
I do love the new Farmers Insurance commercial though. It presents our car as a car worthy of special care and in a gorgeous light. I also fell in love with convertibles via the Chrysler Sebring - rented one when doing biz trips in the Pasadena mountains at sunrise. Beauty!!
In the Farmers Insurance commercial, I noticed that when the driver operated his key fob, the Crossfire chirped - but only once!

Old 02-25-2019, 04:05 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ambidextrous
In the Farmers Insurance commercial, I noticed that when the driver operated his key fob, the Crossfire chirped - but only once!
On unlocking my car chirps once, the lights flash once.
On locking it chirps twice and the lights flash three times.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you mod the siren or change to the Mercedes horn, I wasn't aware that was an oem option? (at least i know that I do not have that option and was planning on the mod in the future)

Old 02-25-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by BlakeSwain
Did you mod the siren or change to the Mercedes horn, I wasn't aware that was an oem option? (at least i know that I do not have that option and was planning on the mod in the future)
The original sirens did not chirp, only the lights flashed. All horns were Mercedes parts, another couple of part numbers chirped when fitted with no mods required.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:03 AM

Have taken a break from the actual modeling of the oem parts... But, I did happen to ponder a new cup holder idea... guess I wanted a little feedback on this.
This will be a vertical pull up fold down from the interior door panel. I hove done a model and would have to test print and tweak but want to know what my fellow CF owners felt on this?

Example.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:26 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice concept, but imagine you forget that there's still a cup in the holder and you're closing the door... Good luck cleaning the whole interior ;-)

Old 03-02-2019, 02:27 PM

True, but style over substance? The #1 interior back-fall is the ignorant cup-holder. Just trying to come up with a producible solution without jeopardizing the lines and curves that has drawn many of us to this car from the beginning. My perspective, I did not obtain the vehicle for daily commuter... so I would still use this feature (given the cars is only for Summer trips and when driving to my workshop on the weekends). But I do agree with pschlan about the spillage, and may produce a test print just to feel the rigidity of the part and see if slightly modified, can be used elsewhere in the dash. (This was my first model by using a verticle pull-up and fold 90* down, and I was really liking the concept. I have done 5-10 models and nothing has really "hit" with me)
Thanks for the input, and keep em' coming!

Old 03-05-2019, 10:06 AM

Update:
Double Din rear layer frame has been test printed (only a few modifications to the depth of the holding clips)... I have modeled the rear layer of the ashtray, with the bolt pegs and decreased the overall depth since replacing the ashtray. I hope to test print the part this evening (once I do, I will be posting more photos). Once a test print has been competed and verified fully dimensional.... I will be starting the top surface of the bezel, and the real challenge will begin!
HVAC & Double Din Bezel (rear Layer) Test Print

I also used my last cup holder model and have came up with a possible new concept.... adding the cup holder to the interior of the glove box.... that can be opened, cup holder extended and glove box shut. Trying to make this as a add-on with no drilling/cutting.

Enjoy!

Old 03-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update:
Double Din rear layer frame has been test printed (only a few modifications to the depth of the holding clips)... I have modeled the rear layer of the ashtray, with the bolt pegs and decreased the overall depth since replacing the ashtray. I hope to test print the part this evening (once I do, I will be posting more photos). Once a test print has been competed and verified fully dimensional.... I will be starting the top surface of the bezel, and the real challenge will begin!
HVAC & Double Din Bezel (rear Layer) Test Print

I also used my last cup holder model and have came up with a possible new concept.... adding the cup holder to the interior of the glove box.... that can be opened, cup holder extended and glove box shut. Trying to make this as a add-on with no drilling/cutting.

Enjoy!
That cup holder idea is genius! Thanks for all the work you are putting in that double din project. It's exciting.

Last edited by alexdc; 03-05-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:56 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

I’ve got my wallet in my hand ready for the double din bezel!

Old 03-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSK
I’ve got my wallet in my hand ready for the double din bezel!
Same here!

Old 03-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alexdc
That cup holder idea is genius! Thanks for all the work you are putting in that double din project. It's exciting.
Just noticed that if you plan on putting the cuo holder in the glove box door we won't be able to open the glove box with a drink in it.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by alexdc
Just noticed that if you plan on putting the cuo holder in the glove box door we won't be able to open the glove box with a drink in it.
I think the better idea is to fill the glove box with an insulated container and using a plastic tube suck up your drink as you drive just like a cyclist. Heck you could have a selection of drinks to choose from.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80

i think the better idea is to fill the glove box with an insulated container and using a plastic tube suck up your drink as you drive just like a cyclist. Heck you could have a selection of drinks to choose from.
🙄

Old 03-06-2019, 07:13 AM

Enjoy!
I'm reminded of the good ole days when many American cars had drink holder indentations stamped into the steel of the fold down glove box doors! Of course, they were only effective while sitting stationary at the A&W or watching a drive-in movie!

Old 03-06-2019, 09:27 AM

Update:
I printed the first half of the ash tray rear mounting layer bezel. I starting printed the second part.... but, my printer goofed up and messed the print up (luckily it was only 10% printed and didn't waste too much media). I will be printing again this evening to complete the test prints of the rear layer bezel mounts. As promised... I have included my printings next to the oem as reference.

Enjoy!

Old 03-06-2019, 09:47 AM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

Update:
I printed the first half of the ash tray rear mounting layer bezel. I starting printed the second part.... but, my printer goofed up and messed the print up (luckily it was only 10% printed and didn't waste too much media). I will be printing again this evening to complete the test prints of the rear layer bezel mounts. As promised... I have included my printings next to the oem as reference.

Enjoy!
Great Work. I applaud your efforts. There will be a lot of happy people.

Anyone who gets into a vehicle,as tight for space as ours, with a beverage is asking for trouble

I have had two spills, luckily, only water.

I love the holder idea idea but for me a Contigo spill prod for hot beverage and a swell bottle for water.

A small car, tight space, hot liquid and electronics. What could go wrong?

the contigo cup slides behind the passenger seat between the seat and console. (Perfect pocket for the coffee cup). Sits straight up and in a spill proff container.

Focus us on the double din. You’ll get a lot more support and most likely sales for the double din bezel.

Great work really impresive

Old 03-06-2019, 11:08 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Add me to the list of "interested" in the 2DIN

Old 03-09-2019, 03:47 PM

Update:
Slight modifications to the upper HVAC/DoubleDin rear layer completed. I have also completed the top/1st layer of the bezel and combined both as the picture entails'. I still have to skirt 3 sides of the stereo cutout (I want to keep the curves around the stereo front rim ring) and also smooth/round the corners and edges overall. The outside vertical edges have been matched to the oem bevel and don't appear as "spot-on" but will modify; if needed once the test print is complete (the center spin is also the same situation). I did complete the ashtray 2nd layer, right side test print. Turned out very well and I'm happy with the results (printed better than the first one) but did not capture any photos to post... once I start working on the top layer, more photos will come.

Enjoy!

Old 03-09-2019, 04:06 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome. Great work!

Quick Reply: Double Din Dash Kit - Teaser - Far from done!