Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Double Din Dash Kit - Teaser - Far from done!

Old 04-22-2019, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Double Din Dash Kit - Teaser - Far from done!

Update:

I finally cut/installed the new panes of glass in my printing enclosure and am happy to announce that I'm officially printing in ABS plastic (sorry for the the messy window glazing job... but was more than ready to start printing)! I have done a total of two prints... The first print (left side HVAC/D-Din) had to be modified yet again for better fitment (some of the rear pegs weren't fitting/lining-up as clean as I wanted. The first print will have to be reprinted due to me cutting and shaping for the proper fitment (plus I accidentally split part of the bezel driver's temperature control **** cutout area when cutting and trimming the rear layer). I made a few design changes and printed the right side with thicker edges and have increased the peg base thickness to insure its durability. As soon as I get off work, I will be test fitting the second print. I have customized this to fit my particular stereo (Xtrons Octacore 4gn Ram 32gb Rom Android Stereo). I did not purchase a double din cage, and have already began the design of the cage that will correspond to the factory single din sleeve. I cut the bottom of the OEM sleeve out, but left about 1/8-1/4 inch on the sides. My plan is to make 1/2 a cage and use the top single din sleeve with a printed lower half cage that will have two screw or rivets to the OEM sleeve and have attachments points on the rear layer of the bezel. The actual OEM single din sleeve has two recessed slots on both sides that I would like to use for the connection points. This will allow me to always return/re-install the OEM bezel and radio (if ever needed/wanted to).

If all goes accordingly, I will be reprinting the left side and will be moving on to the ashtray switch relocation being printed in ABS and will have to finish designing the mount brackets. My plan is to have this setup as 3 separate prints. The two halves of the HVAC/Double din bezel & the lower ashtray/switch relocation. I decided to combine both the top layer and rear layer as one. The ABS is black, and the easier to print PLA plastic is white. The black print does appear to have a bow on the bottom, but that is the nature of it (ABS tends to warp with very small temperature variations in the printing stage, that is why it requires being printed within an enclosure).

The fusion between the layers with all the mounting clips have printed really well! I can easily attached both with abs epoxy, but after thinking more on it.... may hold off until I decide whether to sand/prime first then attach before painting (help maintain the center spine) or attach and complete the sand/paint after assembly... trial and error will tell. I'm still on the fence of wrapping the silver trim in upholstery leather/vinyl. I can print in different colored plastic, but ABS greatly deteriorates with UV rays and would have to be clear coated. Trying to finish the official build, and then choose the finish.

I hate that there aren't any steering wheel control buttons... and rather than a load more work/cost of installing a Mercedes Benz steering wheel I am going with a different options. There were a few options that allowed me to add wireless controls that were attached to the steering wheel with double sided tape, but just felt these seemed cheap and not having a perfectly flat area on the wheel would end up looking quite awkward to me. I have always liked the idrive style multimedia controllers in the BMWs and Benzs.... but didn't want the extensive task of modifying one just for simple stereo options. I finally found a wireless center console remote control. The one in particular has added phone/Bluetooth buttons that all are customized in the steering wheel control options of the head unit. I currently have a simple Bluetooth remote that I have attached just below the shiftier, but it shuts down (conserves battery) so often I constantly have to hit a button just to reconnect and then hit the button again just to change the volume, track, etc. The last photo shows the remote I have ordered and may be a bit to get here since I had to order from a Chinese seller (no-one offered this within the U.S.). This states specifically it is intended to work on Android stereo head unit.... but I believe as long as your aftermarket stereo has 3-5 workings volts for the steering wheel control lines for the majority of aftermarket stereo head units. Will NOT work on our OEM stereos, the factory head units do NOT have steering wheel controls (I know someone will probably read and ask. Planned on installing just below the shiftier as my current Bluetooth one is.... This may be just a tad bigger than the bezel, so I'm already planning to design a base that will help it to blend right in with the bezel to keep the slim-lined style!

Enjoy!

Example: Shows side recessed channel that I will use to attach the customized lower half of my double-din cage.

New remote control for Android Double Din unit.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if this would work my pioneer head unit that has android auto. Do you have a link I would order one?

Old 04-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your project management skills are great! Love the updates. thank you

Old 04-26-2019, 10:13 AM

Console stereo remote control:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Wireles...oAAOSwJtJcM4J3
Here is the link... I believe it does state that it is specific to the android head units so this will be a "at your own risk" (but when I was researching to find the correct one... many of them did not specifically specify the android head units: but the 3-5 volts).

Old 05-19-2019, 03:27 PM

Been a while since I posted anything!
Just wanted to let you guys know.... I'm still working on this project! I haven't had the full time available to "hit the project hard".
The designs are slowly coming together. I have had to rework many of the areas, to get my results just right.
When I have something to really show... it will be posted!

Old 05-19-2019, 06:40 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BlakeSwain
Been a while since I posted anything!
Just wanted to let you guys know.... I'm still working on this project! I haven't had the full time available to "hit the project hard".
The designs are slowly coming together. I have had to rework many of the areas, to get my results just right.
When I have something to really show... it will be posted!
From my experience the bezel can be held in using the two screws at the top of the radio aperture and the lips that surround the sleeve for the Nav unit.
The sleeve should be attached with four screws to the roof panel of the radio aperture. This means no load is taken by the bezel and the lips hold the sleeve against the console.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-19-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up, but this isn't my first rodeo.... jkin lol Actually i am planning on using this structurally with the new head unit stereo. When cutting the bottom of the single din, it ironically did add support to the overall floor attaches side panels of the console. I'm a big guy 6'4 tight fit, but comfy tolerable and i love my Crossfire. When cruising, Ive noticed i tend to rest my knee right on the pressure point where the lower level single din frame was removed and now tends to flex more than i care for. Also, i hate cheap plastic bezels that tend to shift (even the slightest). Curving any rear layer angle transition produces a better quality print and add more than needed, strength to which should easily support the double din and support between the main floor console assembly.

Always love the responses though... really has helped with ideas and designs foresight/hindsight.

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by BlakeSwain
Thanks for the heads up, but this isn't my first rodeo.... jkin lol Actually i am planning on using this structurally with the new head unit stereo. When cutting the bottom of the single din, it ironically did add support to the overall floor attaches side panels of the console. I'm a big guy 6'4 tight fit, but comfy tolerable and i love my Crossfire. When cruising, Ive noticed i tend to rest my knee right on the pressure point where the lower level single din frame was removed and now tends to flex more than i care for. Also, i hate cheap plastic bezels that tend to shift (even the slightest). Curving any rear layer angle transition produces a better quality print and add more than needed, strength to which should easily support the double din and support between the main floor console assembly.

Always love the responses though... really has helped with ideas and designs foresight/hindsight.

Thanks!
I tend to disagree with your comments, and so I guess we will agree to disagree.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pschlan

Awesome project.

I started something similar to make a 3D printable button replacement for the ashtray, as that’s the hardest part in a double DIN mod in my opinion.

This is what I have so far. The original button bar will snap right into it (tested after 3D printing it). Maybe we could join forces?

Prototype of course lacks the paint and some details.

By the way, finally I got mine in a quite ok-ish shape.

The following users liked this post:
MAYAman (04-16-2022)
Old 06-14-2019, 06:25 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice job!

Old 06-14-2019, 06:29 PM

By the way, finally I got mine in a quite ok-ish shape.
That looks good and you are correct about that button area being the hardest part of the project, my face plate is one single part and that area is very difficult. I have been wondering what colour to spray mine, I have two different designs of the double din to spray and I want to get the colour correct.
Can you please tell me what colour/make you decided on. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Forum Regular

That looks so awesome! I admit I am jealous. How can I get the parts or 3d print design for this? I’d like to install a CarPlay system. How many others want this?

Old 06-15-2019, 12:37 PM
cmz
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice. I want this too!

Old 06-16-2019, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have been wondering what colour to spray mine, I have two different designs of the double din to spray and I want to get the colour correct.
Can you please tell me what colour/make you decided on. Thanks.
I've been using "Mercedes-Benz 744 brillantsilber; Ord.No. 604881" from Dupli-Color, but all Mercedes-Benz 744 should be equal. It's quite a good match; not 100% though (might also be related to aging of the original parts).

@Da55id I can share the 3D files and you can have it manufactured at any 3D printing store. The design is not perfect yet, so I'd prefer to finalize it first, but if you can't wait, just let me know and I willl send you the current files. I've been using laser sintering in Polyamide (SLS) from i.materialise (https://i.materialise.com/) and it cost me around 150 Euros.

Last edited by pschlan; 06-16-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:10 PM

I've been using "Mercedes-Benz 744 brillantsilber; Ord.No. 604881" from Dupli-Color, but all Mercedes-Benz 744 should be equal. It's quite a good match; not 100% though (might also be related to aging of the original parts).

@Da55id I can share the 3D files and you can have it manufactured at any 3D printing store. The design is not perfect yet, so I'd prefer to finalize it first, but if you can't wait, just let me know and I willl send you the current files. I've been using laser sintering in Polyamide (SLS) from i.materialise (https://i.materialise.com/) and it cost me around 150 Euros.
Thanks a lot for the name of the paint, I’ll try that one.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Forum Regular
Cool Re: Double Din Dash Kit - Teaser - Far from done!

Thanks! I will wait until you are happy with your design and then proceed with local print. Any idea when you will be fertig? Thanks again!

Old 07-29-2019, 02:15 PM

I've applied some carbon foil. Some imperfections here and there, but quite happy with my first attempt.

Last edited by pschlan; 07-29-2019 at 02:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pschlan:
MAYAman (04-16-2022), Sussudio (12-08-2022), Vvette (07-09-2020)
Old 07-29-2019, 02:21 PM
cmz

Very nice

Old 07-30-2019, 01:14 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

The original poster hasn’t been here since May.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:21 PM
JPT

How did this thread just die on the vine? This work is amazing and the finish work is what everybody is clamoring for. I dm'd him directly asking for a status, and pleaded with him to share the source files with the community. Once the files are available we could just either print ourselves or use a service to print them out. I have a place in mind, and could potentially negotiate a bulk order.

Thoughts?

JPT

Quick Reply: Double Din Dash Kit - Teaser - Far from done!