Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Double Din Dash Kit - Teaser - Far from done!

Old 02-19-2019, 11:59 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Double Din Dash Kit - Teaser - Far from done!

Originally Posted by BlakeSwain
I agree, but considering the factory cup holder is a sheer flop. I will be replacing the oem cup holder for the bin, just not completely setup to print the abs plastic required.
The best CH option I've had is to add to the rear bulk head and if customized add more storage (the addition of speakers is my custom concept that once I have my overall plan in my head drafted out should be pleasing to the eye and functional, at least I hope it will be "lol"). I have worked a few models of "pop-out" cup holder but haven't found/designed one that keeps the oem styling or clean lines that I prefer. Only time will tell.
It's not easy!

Old 02-20-2019, 12:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a little free time at work.... did a quick conceptual design draft of the bulkhead cup-holder windscreen I had in mind. The acrylic windscreen will be in a recessed channel, in the middle of the roll bars and held in place with clear silicone for a clean appearance (no plastic straps or velcro but may need to add further mounting if I do not feel comfortable with its durability). I originally wanted the entire cabin width windscreen, but I do not want to subtract any backward movement of the seats as other windscreens sometimes do (being 6'4 I fit and am not risking one millimeter). This design has 2 x 4.5" speakers that are angled toward each seat within the cabin to obtain the mid-tones (once dimensional accuracy is used, may have to reduce to 3.5" speakers). The cup holders have a 3" depth, with the switches below controlling the LED's of the windscreen, with future recessed side lights (illumination for behind the seats) and possible cub holder illumination (may add a light inside the center armrest console). Either sand prime with matched paint or leather upholster and I feel this would really add to my customized ride!
Nevertheless will have to appear factory, if not... it will stay nothing more than conceptual!

This reality will have to wait until I have completed my double din mods.... but, a little tease never hurt, "never hurts to look, but touch and all hell breaks loose" lmao.
Hope you guys enjoy!!!

The following users liked this post:
Sussudio (09-08-2022)
Old 02-22-2019, 10:10 AM

UPDATE:
I have extruded and test printed of the 2nd layer of the switch bezel (clips/holders for the oem switches). The test came out awesome, and the buttons slide right in. I have almost completed the design of the 2nd rear layer for the HVAC & double din area all-of-which will be using the original oem clips and mounting holes. Once I have these 100% dimensional as the switch holders... I will start to add the front faces of the bezels. I have drafted the overall center dash bezels on more occasions than I care to count, and by starting with the 2nd layer; and then adding the top final surface area... feel I should be able to really make this a reality more than ever before!
Enjoy!

3D Print - Rear2ndLayer - Switch Holder

Old 02-22-2019, 10:49 AM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's truly Awesome!!

Old 02-22-2019, 11:42 AM

This stuff absolutely amazes me. Kudos to you!

Old 02-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Forum Regular

Omg awesome progress!

Old 02-23-2019, 01:39 AM

UPDATE:
Rear layer HVAC/DoubleDin has been extruded with its 3D parameters. Once I have a moment, I will be test printing . Now this may look a littler different from the bezel, but this is with a double din modification and can really "throw the eye". The longer pegs towards the bottom of either side, match length of the pegs where the original switches are located. This should line up nicely! Also, since I'll need to accommodate the double din, the single din internal cage needs the bottom removed. I more than likely will design a double din cage that will use the original 1 din open cage and act as a extender guide, further adding structurally.

I believe next I will be drafting/creating the rear layer mount of the ash-tray switch relocation (This will probably be the most complex part yet, given no direct reference to go off of), trying to maintain the use of the 2-4 pegs that are attached with screws to the base dash/floor console base. From past research... I believe 1 if not both of the top screw mounting pegs of the ash tray may have to be removed/altered to allow the full bottom recess to accommodate the double din (and if so, I may try to put a extender and/or shorten-er from the screw locations - hopefully this will allow me enough clearance to not be an issue). Will know more once I have a better overall rendering to play with.
Enjoy!

HVAC/2Din-3DRearLayerDimensionalDesign

Old 02-23-2019, 02:05 AM
Forum Regular

UPDATE:
Rear layer HVAC/DoubleDin has been extruded with its 3D parameters. Once I have a moment, I will be test printing . Now this may look a littler different from the bezel, but this is with a double din modification and can really "throw the eye". The longer pegs towards the bottom of either side, match length of the pegs where the original switches are located. This should line up nicely! Also, since I'll need to accommodate the double din, the single din internal cage needs the bottom removed. I more than likely will design a double din cage that will use the original 1 din open cage and act as a extender guide, further adding structurally.

I believe next I will be drafting/creating the rear layer mount of the ash-tray switch relocation (This will probably be the most complex part yet, given no direct reference to go off of), trying to maintain the use of the 2-4 pegs that are attached with screws to the base dash/floor console base. From past research... I believe 1 if not both of the top screw mounting pegs of the ash tray may have to be removed/altered to allow the full bottom recess to accommodate the double din (and if so, I may try to put a extender and/or shorten-er from the screw locations - hopefully this will allow me enough clearance to not be an issue). Will know more once I have a better overall rendering to play with.
Enjoy!

Just a question. Do you think once this is finished that it could be available in different colors?

Last edited by alexdc; 02-23-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:01 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

UPDATE:

Enjoy!
When I did my mods to the face plates I found the Double Din headunit fouled the ash tray module and I had to cut the rear of the ash tray part of the module shorter. The module itself did not get too close to the posts to which the ash tray module was secured to, so I can use all four posts.
My current design of a one piece bezel will use the bottom two posts to secure a plate to which the bezel will attach to, this is because the ash tray uses the rear of the posts to mount against and the one piece bezel cannot as it has to swing down, hinging on the very top location posts.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:04 PM

Yes, the color can be changed... however, 3d printing does not necessarily leave a finished edge. To finish, it will need sanded and sprayed with a filler primer then wet sanded before being paintable or wrapped. You can spray with solvent to "melt" the top layer, but that does not guarantee an even surface. That is why I think I may wrap in marine grade vinyl leather, with a baseball stitch in a contrasting thread color that would be accented with stitching down the center spine (should allow the contrasting color of the thread to stand out). Will still need to sand prime sand... but should decrease some of the perfection work. But won't know until I have printed the final pieces with the abs plastic. Smaller objects would allow for a higher quality top surface with less work (The bezel will have to split into parts (can only print the size of my current 3D printer bed). I am already contemplating the split lines of the bezel to obtain the best final result, this may have to be a "trial and error" until I have the best final prints.

Last edited by BlakeSwain; 02-23-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:08 PM

Awesome Onehundred80!
Thanks for the response, then I shouldn't worry about it! However, that means I have more wasted space hidden .... hmmm well we've been wanting an actual cup holder.... not to get any hopes up! Might have to ponder on a pop-out CH (have a draft in mind, but nothing official). But first, the double din concept/design needs completed!

Again, THANK YOU!

Old 02-23-2019, 10:21 PM

Update:
Had to split the HVAC from the Double Din 2nd Layer. Test printed the HVAC rear layer, came out almost exact just a few minor adjustments (top hooked post & screw holes need to be moved towards the center by 0.25 inch).

I did not print the double din layer yet (modeled, and ready for test printing), I instead started the 2-dimensional ash tray rear layer mount bezel. This is going to be the biggest pain-in-the-butt, however I have the 2D overall viewpoints and once I combine and put the views into a perpendicular 3D model and start to angle and curve the model I believe I will "get it".

Enjoy!

Old 02-23-2019, 10:47 PM
Forum Regular

Is it going to be plug and play? reversible?

Old 02-24-2019, 01:01 AM

Yes, building a whole new front bezel. Want to save the oem.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by alexdc
Just a question. Do you think once this is finished that it could be available in different colors?
Yes, building a whole new front bezel. Want to save the oem.
I think that the rear black section of the CD/AC bezel can be carefully separated from the front cosmetic part. They are sonically welded to one another, an eBay seller was selling the two parts independently. When I cut my original part the button section nearly came loose and I had to bond it back together.
I think this would save a lot of effort and the part would be stronger, as the part is an alloy of PC and ABS.
This part carries all the snaps,the head unit depth shoulder and location posts,this would leave only the front cosmetic part to be made saving a lot of time and materials, time and materials = money.
This bezel can be purchased for $100 or less, sometimes that gets you the buttons as well.The interface between the two parts are the little pads which focus the welding forces into those areas, some did not weld on my parts and I have used three of the bezels. This may be a cheaper option than printing the three parts.
Food for thought?

Old 02-24-2019, 11:45 AM

I see your point... but reverse engineering the rear layer bezels has really been a great learning process for me. The actual rear layer is square.flat and will allow me to dimensionally adjust for the front curvature of the dash bezel. I've self taught myself the programs, and 3D printing process. Not only am I completing a new bezel, I'm further learning the programs and will be using them in my future business with a CNC router system. Additionally, I have contemplated the production of these items. Do not want to go into this too much and get anyone hopes up as other post have in the past, but too many threads/post of people who want a 2din kit which is not available. Seeing some of the post and cost from stereo shops is really quite ridiculous (guess I'm in the wrong business! jkin lol) I have done the manual Frankenstein custom/cut dash panels before, and to me its quite easy... but being a bit of a perfectionist there is always that one spot of bondo/filler that is to high or to low or paint didn't come out as anticipated or this didn't line up just perfectly with that screw .... you get the gist.
I come from a family of "jack of all trades", and rather than manually concept I wanted to computerize the process. Plus, the initial layout of the center console dash isn't the most ergonomic... having the computer model allows me to 3-dimensionally modify and make changes without physical action/waste (the cupholder is just one point that was never done correctly and I do have a thought or two on this but am waiting until I have the overall bezel simulated before I add further).

I'm putting really more into this project than I really should, but this car means quite a bit to me. In high-school I bought a 97 Chrysler Sebring convertible in candy apple red and had more fun and memories than I ever thought I would. My father even purchased the car from me, trying to save my first "sporty car" but my family's irony claimed the Ol' Red Sebring in the same manner as his first sports car (my father had saved his 1st sports car, an old 57 Chevy. Had not been worth much but more sentimental value (many stories of out-running the old police cars, or what size of engine he put in... ect) The old Chevy met its demise in the early 2000's... my father parked the vehicle back by the old chicken coup of the family farm decades ago, and always kept the weeds and growth trimmed away. When lighting struck a nearby elm, my grandfather had no concern for the old car and allowed the vehicle to become engulfed in flames. (yes this is only material items, no one had been hurt... just my grandfather tried to save the chicken coup; which nature had reclaimed and was irreparable, rather than his sons sentimental memories). My Sebring met a similar demise, my father had been working on the car that had been sitting for a few years. He took the car out for a drive around our small hometown of Lyman, Iowa (population 50) when the car caught fire, and burned just as the same ending fate of his own 1st sports car. Again, thank goodness no one was injured and when he called me to tell me what had happened, was more worried about the car rather than himself knowing the same feeling from his experience. I was just happy he hadn't been injured, and happily joked he'd be buying me a new convertible (he would've and attempted to buy my a convertible few times after the incident, but I would not allow it). 2018 and I got my convertible again (on my own of course)! This time, more love of a car than ever before... for the new memories always brighten the smile of the bad ones!
I come from a Mopar family... being the 3rd generation mopar the Chrysler Crossfire is a one-of-a-kind that will be a collectible (at least in my eyes for sure)!

RIP-2014 - 97Sebring

Last edited by BlakeSwain; 02-24-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Forum Regular

The Crossfire is definitely a future classic. It's not that rare yet. It could have been way better with a few design changes. They should have made improvements throughout the years. They obviously were on a budget. They should have done a club sport version to keep the interest going. They had the parts bin to do more with it.

Last edited by alexdc; 02-24-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by alexdc
The Crossfire is definitely a future classic. It's not that rare yet. It could have been way better with a few design changes. They should have made improvements throughout the years. They obviously were on a budget. They should have done a club sport version to keep the interest going. They had the parts bin to do more with it.
I still blame Celine Dion for the poor sales, with Jeremy Clarkson put the final mockers on it.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:29 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

I still blame Celine Dion for the poor sales, with Jeremy Clarkson put the final mockers on it.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do love the new Farmers Insurance commercial though. It presents our car as a car worthy of special care and in a gorgeous light. I also fell in love with convertibles via the Chrysler Sebring - rented one when doing biz trips in the Pasadena mountains at sunrise. Beauty!!

Quick Reply: Double Din Dash Kit - Teaser - Far from done!