New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Introduction

Old 12-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction

Hello, just recently purchased a 2004 Crossfire out of Sarasota FL (you can guess the color) and have been enjoying it immensely. I've changed out the hood strut, installed a new driver-side sun visor and have done a lot of detail cleaning. Unfortunately the previous owner must have pissed-off his girl friend because both doors are keyed. So I'm working on getting the doors repainted, along with the front bumper which has some paint scrape.

It has the ugly 3M tape on the front of the hood which I'm slowly removing when I have time...

The only problem I occasionally run into is not getting it into first gear fully and, bam!, out it pops when I take off. Scares the crap out of me and then pisses me off! But of course its me, so I have to work on it.

It has 83,000 miles on it and runs great.

I'm looking forward to reading over the forum and using it as needed.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts
Default Re: Introduction

It is not you - it's the transmission.
The 04's had a glitch in the transmission and this one was never fixed.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum. As for the transmission popping out of gear, I think it was caused by bad syncronizers, (from the factory).
The problem was supposedly eliminated on Crossfires built after December of 03.
When was your car built? The build date is on the edge of the drivers door.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome From Sarasota. Funny I never saw this car for sale...You will enjoy not only the car but this group!! Everyone is helpful...(some with a little sarcasm).
We also have the Florida Crossfire Group here and on Facebook. Please join us https://www.facebook.com/groups/349482915112354/

Old 12-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBlazeCrystal
Hello, just recently purchased a 2004 Crossfire out of Sarasota, FL and have been enjoying it immensely.
Welcome to the forum and be sure to meet up with all the cool Florida Crossfire Owners
You are among many that enjoy getting together for meets

Old 12-23-2013, 06:37 PM

Yes, its built date was July 2003.
The times I have caught it, I was blocked half way getting into first. I had to reclutch to get in.
Thanks for the data. I appreciate it.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

Just put a label over the '1' and call it "EL" for Extra Low", then renumber 2 thru 6 as 1 thru 5; start out using 2nd - many here will tell you that they think 1 is way too low anyway, and often start out in 2nd. (This goes for the red-light racers more than most of us - and frankly, if I'm trying to zip around, I often do start in 2nd).

Problem solved.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 PM

Yes, I see your point. I'll give it a try and see how I like it.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 PM

I'm new too!! Mine pops out of first gear when stopped with the clutch in and foot on the brake. If I keep my hand on the gearshift and a little pressure, it doesn't pop out. Was thinking to take to transmission shop or read where there was a cable that needed tightening that could cause that too. Mine is 2004 and has almost 50K miles and the guy I bought it from says it has been doing that ever since he bought it 3 years ago. Suggestions?<br /><br />thanks!!!!!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by meganingle
I'm new too!! Mine pops out of first gear when stopped with the clutch in and foot on the brake. If I keep my hand on the gearshift and a little pressure, it doesn't pop out. Was thinking to take to transmission shop or read where there was a cable that needed tightening that could cause that too. Mine is 2004 and has almost 50K miles and the guy I bought it from says it has been doing that ever since he bought it 3 years ago. Suggestions?<br /><br />thanks!!!!!
Do a quick search of the forum and you’ll find the TSB # on this issue. Call the toll free customer support # and have them find a dealer in the Austin/ San Antonio area with a Xfire tech to repair the 1st gear pop-out under warranty.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 AM
JSK
Received 101 Likes on 85 Posts

I don’t think warranty will cover at this point, it’s a TSB not a recall.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JSK
I don’t think warranty will cover at this point, it’s a TSB not a recall.
Dealership I asked said they would fix it, but I have to pay for everything, yes there is a article that says how to fix, but unless you are still under factory drive train warranty, you have to pay.
Why I have been telling people some tricks so they do not have it happen, and tips and tricks become normal, me, I do not hardly ever start in 1st gear, for the fact the almost everyone who does rides the clutch, letting out slow and slipping it, me I want me clutch to last as long as I can make it, and not have it go out at 54k miles like a member is repairing atm.
Think about it, the more you are on your brakes the more you have to change brakes.
Driving habits affects repairs, I have around 95k miles on my rotors and pads and still lots of pad left.
It is not a big deal on how to shift this transmission, it is a good transmission, and idk why many make it sound like it is a drop everything and have transmission completly rebuilt.
What is more needed is ways to strengthen the transmission.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:40 PM

I have the same year car. All of these manual transmissions for this year apparently do this.

I have found two things that help.

1. The most effective way is to downshift into first gear just before you stop. Then you can take it out of gear if you want and release the clutch while you wait. When you are ready to go, just put it in first and go. It has never popped out of gear when I have done this.

2. When I have forgotten to do the above, I double clutch the transmission. In other words, before I put it in gear to take off, I push the clutch in twice. Then I push the clutch in, put it into gear, and off I go. It has slipped out of gear two times using this method, but it works almost as well as the first option.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Thanks for all the tips!!!! I thought perhaps that maybe the cable could be tightened as the TSB notice said, of course it is not under warranty lol Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Old 01-16-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by meganingle
Thanks for all the tips!!!! I thought perhaps that maybe the cable could be tightened as the TSB notice said, of course it is not under warranty lol Thanks for all the suggestions!!
I answered your query in one of the three posts on the subject you made in 24 minutes yesterday. More posts just leads to confusion. CLICK
Check the adjustment and see if it needs attention first.
If the first owner of the car had a problem he probably got it fixed for free, so maybe it is just an adjustment problem.
There was also a problem that the shift mechanism needed lubrication inside to make the changer slide easier.
The wrong oil in the gearbox may cause problems as well.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:23 PM

Thanks, I called Chrylser, they are supposedly going to call me back with a guestimate, lol Maybe I'll try explaining to a different shop and at least try an adjustment, as long as they do not have to drop the transmission it shouldn't be extremely expensive, I don't think. Although I am not sure at what point they do have to drop the transmission to fix something, lol