New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Starting issues

Old 09-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Starting issues

I am a new member. I owed a crossfire roaster for ten years with no issues. sold it four years ago for a four door to haul grandkids. Missed the X-fire, so I bought a 2005 coupe four months ago. Ran great until parking in the garage a few days ago. Would not start the next dat. Cranked very fast but no start. checked fuel pressure at end of fuel rail. Had no fuel pressure.. Changed fuel pump and filter (not a pleasant task) after that had great fuel flow and pressure. Still no start. Would the next step be the crank shaft location relay, camshaft location relay of RCM module, How do I check? Crankshaft location relay is in a really bad spot and don't want to change unless it is bad. Thanks for any info.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:59 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Starting issues

I would send the RCM to tighed1 and let him do his magic, could well be just a relay contact problem.
( send him an email at tighed1@hotmail.com )
Next I would replace the CPS.
Last the Camshaft sensor, as it seldom goes bad, and if it does it usually just causes rough running.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:15 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Do what George said. While you are waiting for the RCM to come back, order one of these:
https://www.germanautosupply.com/mer...ensor-400.html

If you don't need it, keep it in the trunk for when it DOES fail. If you do need it, order another one as a spare as soon as you use this one.
I've carried one for over six years, used one on my car and one on a friend's car. The Crank Sensor is prone to failure and it not easily obtainable locally.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:30 AM
Received 542 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by wylirb32
I am a new member. I owed a crossfire roaster for ten years with no issues. sold it four years ago for a four door to haul grandkids. Missed the X-fire, so I bought a 2005 coupe four months ago. Ran great until parking in the garage a few days ago. Would not start the next dat. Cranked very fast but no start. checked fuel pressure at end of fuel rail. Had no fuel pressure.. Changed fuel pump and filter (not a pleasant task) after that had great fuel flow and pressure. Still no start. Would the next step be the crank shaft location relay, camshaft location relay of RCM module, How do I check? Crankshaft location relay is in a really bad spot and don't want to change unless it is bad. Thanks for any info.
These cars are equipped with the ability to record faults that cause problems, instead of guessing what the problem is, connecting a code reader to the car cab save time, money and frustration. I recommend that you buy one, some faults are not detected but it is certainly worth the effort.
You say you had fuel problems, you solved that and still have problems. I do not believe in coincidences so the problem has to do with the fuel problem or you actually did not have a fuel problem. It would be odd that you parked the car and two separate failures occurred at the same time. You
What pump and filter did you use?

Old 09-28-2018, 11:33 AM

update to starting problem. Thanks for all your good information. I diid change out the crankshaft position sensor and that did solve the problem. as a note. It was not as hard as some folks on youtube made it out to be. It took less that an hour. I removed the two bolts to the heat shield and access after the heat shield was removed made the job a lot easier.

Thanks.

Last edited by wylirb32; 09-28-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2018, 11:38 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

update to starting problem. Thanks for all your good information. I diid change out the crankshaft position sensor and that did solve the problem. as a note. It was not as hard as some folks on youtube made it out to be. It took less that an hour. I removed the two bolts to the heat shield and access after the heat shield was removed made the job a lot easier.

Thanks.
Thanks, I've been telling people that for years, but who listens. Easy peasy with the shield removed.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Thanks, I've been telling people that for years, but who listens. Easy peasy with the shield removed.
The best way in my opinion is to unscrew the bolt while the cable is still attached and keeping the screw in the CPS hole by pulling on the cable, the CPS coming out at the same rate the screw is coming out the threaded hole. Do not drop the screw.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I would send the RCM to tighed1 and let him do his magic, could well be just a relay contact problem.
( send him an email at tighed1@hotmail.com )
Next I would replace the CPS.
Last the Camshaft sensor, as it seldom goes bad, and if it does it usually just causes rough running.
Replaced Crankshaft position sensor. Started right up. Then started acting the same way, turning over fast and not starting until I wriggled the shift lever while in park position, then it would start. Anyone have experience with the shift lever position sensor?

Last edited by wylirb32; 09-29-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2018, 04:08 PM

Replaced Crankshaft position sensor. Started right up. Then started acting the same way, turning over fast and not starting until I wriggled the shift lever while in park position, then it would start. Anyone have experience with the shift lever position sensor?
Unless the gear shifter is in Park or Neutral the car will not start.
Does the car start fine in Neutral?
There is a cable going between the ignition switch and the transmission that controls this.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The best way in my opinion is to unscrew the bolt while the cable is still attached and keeping the screw in the CPS hole by pulling on the cable, the CPS coming out at the same rate the screw is coming out the threaded hole. Do not drop the screw.
Exactly. Made it way easier.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I'll 2nd this and add the fact that it's a lot easier to disconnect that plug from the harness.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by CROSSFIRERUSH
I'll 2nd this and add the fact that it's a lot easier to disconnect that plug from the harness.
I forgot to mention that important detail, I have never done it and hope I never will.