Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Changed SKREEM, key & ECU no start!

Old 08-04-2018, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed SKREEM, key & ECU no start!

Hello all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place & in the right manner.
Ok, bought an 05' CF with what I thought was a SKREEM issue. Has the dreaded 3x's crank then nothing. So I bought a used ECU, Key Fob and SKREEM module w/ring(all out of the same donor car). Replaced them all and same scenario, still cranks 3x's with no start and dead.
Is there something I may not be doing right?
Is there a programming sequence I must initiate?
Or am I just forgetting another part?
All help would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to get this thing running for my daughter's birthday.
Thanks in advance.
Jody
***The tilt/tow light is flashing on the dash if that means anything and all lights in the cluster are fully illuminated.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:28 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Changed SKREEM, key & ECU no start!

So you transplanted the SKREEM, RFID chip in the key and the ECU? You are SURE the RFID in the key is there?
Anyway, I'm thinking that SKREEM, RFID chip can move from car to car together - but I'm not sure if that is really so.

And I'm not sure if there is anything else in the chain that you must transplant, but I don't THINK there is. Seems to me, this should have worked.

Waiting for someone who KNOWS to chime in...

Old 08-04-2018, 11:51 PM

Hello and thank you for replying.
To follow up on your questions, yes. I replaced ECU, transponder chip in the key fob w/ matching internals, key ring and SKREEM module. Everything matched the exact numbers with my original equipment also.
A little info about myself as well... I've been installing electronics and accessories professionally for 25yrs. Such as remote starts, alarm's and etc but, I'm stumped on this one.
I think the factory security is what the issue is because, of the following reasons:
When connecting the battery the security starts flashing the lights and will not allow me to shut it off by the unlock button on the remote. It will however stop flashing when I depress the lock button. I have tried programming the remote again and again. I have removed fuse 9, nothing. I have left it set for one hour with key on in the ignition, doesn't work.
There has to be something I'm not doing right.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

Codes? Water in the air pump area below trunk? Inertia sensor under the console? Just guesses without codes

Old 08-05-2018, 09:52 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto
Hello and thank you for replying.
To follow up on your questions, yes. I replaced ECU, transponder chip in the key fob w/ matching internals, key ring and SKREEM module. Everything matched the exact numbers with my original equipment also.
A little info about myself as well... I've been installing electronics and accessories professionally for 25yrs. Such as remote starts, alarm's and etc but, I'm stumped on this one.
I think the factory security is what the issue is because, of the following reasons:
When connecting the battery the security starts flashing the lights and will not allow me to shut it off by the unlock button on the remote. It will however stop flashing when I depress the lock button. I have tried programming the remote again and again. I have removed fuse 9, nothing. I have left it set for one hour with key on in the ignition, doesn't work.
There has to be something I'm not doing right.
There is a short procedure that is done when a new SKREEM is installed in the car, and As the power was off all of the parts you replaced they probably need rebooting.
I shall look for the procedure, those who have a spare SKREEM should keep a copy of the procedure with the spare module.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:53 AM

No codes even with the original SKREEM & ECU.
No water. Haven't checked any inertia sensors, didn't know of any. Have been searching this Forum and others for two weeks. I've never owned nor have I ever worked on a CF.

***The original SKREEM and ECU would lock and unlock(arm/disarm)doors with no problem. The donor set will only lock(arm). Both however will not start the car and on the third attempt the car quits cranking. Car will fire and run with a little gas in the throttle body but dies when that runs out.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

There is a short procedure that is done when a new SKREEM is installed in the car, and As the power was off all of the parts you replaced they probably need rebooting.
I shall look for the procedure, those who have a spare SKREEM should keep a copy of the procedure with the spare module.
Thank you!

Old 08-05-2018, 10:20 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Thank you!
I cannot find it, but it is simple like turning the key to the first position and leaving it for a few moments, turning it off and then starting.or something like that.
Maybe Rob at NeedWings knows.
Look at this video and check that you did all the steps correctly. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-05-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

I cannot find it, but it is simple like turning the key to the first position and leaving it for a few moments, turning it off and then starting.or something like that.
Maybe Rob at NeedWings knows.
Look at this video and check that you did all the steps correctly. CLICK

Yeah, I've watched that video before. I appreciate you taking the time to look. Just frustrating that this ECU & SKREEM module worked in the donor but will not allow me to get past disarming the alarm to try it in this vehicle. I even tried using the factory disarm wire in the driver's kick but it does not do anything either.
I can put my old stuff in and I can arm and disarm fine but not with the donor parts.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Josh has this to say:

Old 08-05-2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Josh has this to say:

I don't have anything like that. Anything I have would just be loaders for aftermarket security systems through obd11 but nothing that would give me access to the vehicle with internet.
Is there any other way?
Thanks

Old 08-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
And I'm not sure if there is anything else in the chain that you must transplant, but I don't THINK there is.
Isn't there some link to the powertrain control module and SKREEM or is ECU meaning powertrain control module? Seems it kept the number of FOBS to a max of 6 or 8 before it needed to be replaced.

AND as Josh said needs programming to do the swap.

Hey Auto, wouldn't it be
easier to put the car back with all original modules and get a new SKREEM from Needswings?

Last edited by KDW4Him; 08-05-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:56 PM

You can use a used one, but you can't make it work without a scan tool.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
You can use a used one, but you can't make it work without a scan tool.
Ok, I understand that if I just replace the SKREEM module but thought if I changed all major components that it should work. What other than the ECU and SKREEM reads the RFID?

Old 08-05-2018, 02:06 PM

Ok, I understand that if I just replace the SKREEM module but thought if I changed all major components that it should work. What other than the ECU and SKREEM reads the RFID?
But you still have to get by the central locking module. It's not unusable, it's just locked. The procedure to "Replace SKREEM" in the scan tool should unlock a used one. I've had a few car lots drag them in this way in the past.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:10 PM

But you still have to get by the central locking module. It's not unusable, it's just locked. The procedure to "Replace SKREEM" in the scan tool should unlock a used one. I've had a few car lots drag them in this way in the past.
Can the central locking module be replaced as well?
If so, where is it located?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:12 PM

Can the central locking module be replaced as well?
If so, where is it located?
Thanks in advance for your help.
That's really expensive. It's way down in the right side of the trunk.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You would have to reverse engineer the entire system. These are all CAN and SCI buss computers talking to each other, ONE byte of non-proper info and you are toast.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:18 PM

That's really expensive. It's way down in the right side of the trunk.
Ok, thinking I can get it from the same donor car if it'll work. Wish there was a way to just do away with the system completely. I know I'm not the only one who is having this issue, surely there's a series of wire's that could be grounded to get past all this.
I've read so many threads imI seeing triple from staring at my phone.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

If you are getting the security model (central locking model) you may as well play it safe and get the Body Control Model from the donor car as well. The central locking model "talks" to the BCM with the OK of the SKREEM. Hope you are getting all these really cheap as a new SKREEM from Needswings is about $250

Quick Reply: Changed SKREEM, key & ECU no start!