Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Help?! Convertible Button Fell... how to get???

Old 09-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help?! Convertible Button Fell... how to get???

Today, I was washing my convertible crossfire and was going to put the top back up... I tripped slightly and pushed the button too hard (the up and down button) and now, it fell inside.

The button works still, I pulled it up with needle nose pliers and managed to get the top up, but cannot restore the buttons location without opening the center console, well lower part of it. Attached is a picture. If I can pull that plastic part up, I can restore the button... but do not know how and searched everywhere. Please help

Eric

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0128.JPG (508.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Help?! Convertible Button Fell... how to get???

I don't have a roadster but this may help.

The next silver section forward should just pull up and off. Gently pry with a plastic tool of some sort to prevent scratcihing. This will expose 1 or 2 screws to remove. With some effort, pull the rubber handle off your parking brake lever. Then open your your console compartment, peel back the carpet liner and you will find two 10mm bolts to remove. The console should be removable then. Becareful of the mirror wiring and air line to the lock.

Anyone else is welcome chime in. James

Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 PM

I appecriate it. I was reading through other instructions also in removing the cup holder which gives a good idea about getting the mid console off. Now, when it says to pry with a plastic tool... the silver section... what is that? Is that the actually just silver part hooked into the blue area. When it says to remove the rubber... I actually tried to just push it up and down and it looks like I can make it come off, but it doesn't. I'm somewhat confused in trying to take that off. Feels like I will rip it in trying.

Thanks for the info. Please let me know anything else.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

I replaced the cup holder on my Roadster two weeks ago. Mine is an automatic, here's how I did it.

IF you have an automatic, see the square trim around the shift? Well, I grabbed it at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions (or the middle of the left and right) and squeezed gently. By lightly pulling up, it came off. It is actually fitted with tabs at the top and bottom, but by grabbing the sides, you cause the ends to pull in a little bit.

THEN, use a flatblade screwdriver or something like it and stick it in the now open crack at the 6 oclock position (away from the shift towards the back of the car). Pull kind of up and forward and that plate will come out.

This exposes the two front screws. Remove them.

Now, lift up the carpet on the INSIDE of the console storage compartment and remove THOSE screws, well nuts.

Set the brake and pull off the boot thingy on the brake handle.

Gently pull up the front of the console and becareful from this point on to not make scratchs in the console parts - keep a towel or somethign handy as a protector...

Anywya, reach up under and gently twist/rock/work the hose off the nipple on the lock mechanism.

Now you can move the console around - may want to remove the connector from the mirror switch - that was easy but I dont' remember where the tabs were - try to look it over - can't remember if you can simply yank it off or if there are locking tabs on it.

At this point, you can figure out if the mounting for the top switch is broken or maybe you just ahve to shove it back in from below (which is all I think you will need to do...)

Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Administrator

One more thing, if you download the service manual (for the coupe) fromt the links here - it KIND OF helps to make you understand what you have to do. It shows you taking the trim off and then getting the plate from around the shift off.

It is of little help after that - but that part DOES show you how they expect you to manuvoer the trim parts from around the shift.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:21 PM

Thank you Very much. That helps because people explain.. but do not include the common sense details (Damn car)

Old 09-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Hey when I tried this, I had NO IDEA I had pneumatic locks - I thougth the hose was for the top somehow and got scared I was gonna mess up the top!!!!

Never occured to me I had pneumatic locks OR that the console on Roadsters locked! (It doesn't on Coupes - which is why the manual doesn't mention it.)

Download the service manual when you get a chance - makes VERY interesting material to look at during lunch / in the bathroom, etc.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Wink Re: Help?! Convertible Button Fell... how to get???

Ok, I managed to open it, but only half way to get the button back in place... but it didn't hold. It appears what holds the button.... there is a small plastic hook on each side. One side is broken... so it doesn't stay there. Probably the only idiot in the world with this problem. A temp solution is that I put the button on the outside because the wiring is long and it sits comfortably... and happy the fact that I can get my top up and down. I took your instructions and read through the manual... both were important and was helpful.

Now to fix fix this... I see that I either have to create some sort of hook with some insane super glue or buy a new center rear console. Does anyone have any idea how much one cost?

I can manually repair this... but the wiring to the mirror is small, so I can not pull the entire rear center console off. Anyone have any ideas or actually know how to do this?

Thanks,
Eric

Old 09-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Just take the connector off the mirror switch so you can get the console out and figure out a fix for this.

I can't remember, but I THINK there are two tabs holding the mirror switch wiring connector to the switch. Just can't remember, it may just be held on by friction with the switch lugs.

The storage bin for the center console is $66 - so the whole assembly is probably $200 or more. I'd try to come up with a fix myself - just get the whole assembly out of there so you can really work on it!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

pretty cool feature, locks everything so you can leave the top down...