Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Fob programming for door unlocking

Old 08-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Fob programming for door unlocking

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
There is a limited number of keys you can obtain and work with the skreem.. 180 said he thought 10 .. and I don't recall exactly myself.. but that number sounds right. Chrysler keeps a database with the vins on the keys (we know this since it does take the vin for a replacement) .. so when you order a new one.. they just go to the next one on the list I'm sure..
I said six but who's counting.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Okay.. so you motivated me to searching.. LOL..

IGNITION KEYS
Each ignition key transponder also has a unique ID code that is assigned at the time the key is manufactured. When a key is programmed into the SKREEM/WCM, follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for "Program Ignition Keys or Key FOB's" under "Miscellaneous Functions" for the "WCM/Wireless Control Module" menu item.
NOTE: A maximum of 8 keys can be learned to each SKREEM. Once a key is learned to a SKREEM, that key has acquired the Secret Key for that SKREEM and cannot be transferred to any other SKREEM or vehicle.
If ignition key programming is unsuccessful, the DRBIII(R) will display one of the following error messages: Programming Not Attempted
The DRBIII(R) attempts to read the programmed key status and there are no keys programmed into SKIM memory.
Programming Key Failed (Possible Used Key From Wrong Vehicle) SKIM is unable to program an ignition key transponder due to one of the following: The ignition key transponder is faulty.
The ignition key transponder is or has already been programmed to another vehicle.
8 Keys Already Learned, Programming Not Done
The SKIM transponder ID memory is full.
Learned Key In Ignition
The ID for the ignition key transponder currently in the ignition lock cylinder is already programmed in SKIM memory.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:54 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Okay.. so you motivated me to searching.. LOL..

IGNITION KEYS
Each ignition key transponder also has a unique ID code that is assigned at the time the key is manufactured. When a key is programmed into the SKREEM/WCM, follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for "Program Ignition Keys or Key FOB's" under "Miscellaneous Functions" for the "WCM/Wireless Control Module" menu item.
NOTE: A maximum of 8 keys can be learned to each SKREEM. Once a key is learned to a SKREEM, that key has acquired the Secret Key for that SKREEM and cannot be transferred to any other SKREEM or vehicle.
If ignition key programming is unsuccessful, the DRBIII(R) will display one of the following error messages: Programming Not Attempted
The DRBIII(R) attempts to read the programmed key status and there are no keys programmed into SKIM memory.
Programming Key Failed (Possible Used Key From Wrong Vehicle) SKIM is unable to program an ignition key transponder due to one of the following: The ignition key transponder is faulty.
The ignition key transponder is or has already been programmed to another vehicle.
Learned Key In Ignition
The ID for the ignition key transponder currently in the ignition lock cylinder is already programmed in SKIM memory.
Just to be certain is this to start the car or lock/unlock doors?

I'm talking start the car.

After reading all of this how does Needswings sell a key that has been programmed into MY SKREEM?

Last edited by KDW4Him; 08-24-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Just to be certain is this to start the car or lock/unlock doors?

I'm talking start the car.

After reading all of this how does Needswings sell a key that has been programmed into MY SKREEM?
I am quite ignorant of the facts here but I imagine that in the files somewhere there is a record under your VIN that gives specific codes that are held within your SKREEM and what ever else has codes in it.
Should your SKREEM require repair or replacement these codes are reentered into it or the replacement.
But as I say that is just my guess.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:44 PM

I'd say your spot on 180...

And in reference to the other question.. did you actually read what I posted.. I'd say those lasts lines pretty much defines things since the transponder is not required to lock/unlock.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One quick question...when my new key fob comes from NeedsWings I program it in the ignition right??

Even thou I don't understand what some of you guys say I do continue to read (and try to learn)
Thanks for all your help.
Sandy

Old 08-25-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Red Paul
One quick question...when my new key fob comes from NeedsWings I program it in the ignition right??

Even thou I don't understand what some of you guys say I do continue to read (and try to learn)
Thanks for all your help.
Sandy
Our key from them was all ready to go.. did nothing to program it.

Otherwise press lock or unlock button twice and insert key and turn to run position.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks MrMiata
Sandy

Old 08-27-2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I am quite ignorant of the facts here but I imagine that in the files somewhere there is a record under your VIN that gives specific codes that are held within your SKREEM and what ever else has codes in it.
Should your SKREEM require repair or replacement these codes are reentered into it or the replacement.
But as I say that is just my guess.
I disagree, The SKREEM is the programable device via the DRBIII. The FOB's RFID is not programable via DRBIII so the FOB RFID must be the device on file per VIN. When the SKREEM is replaced the DRBIII is matching the new SKREEM to the existing FOB's RFID so you can use the existing FOB's.

My suspicions are the RFID in each FOB for a specific VIN are identical meaning VIN XYZ has FOB RFID 123 for any FOB mfr'ed for that VIN. If it were not this way then every time a SKREEM was replaced the dealer would have to enter all the possible codes for a FOB's RFID and places like Needswings would not only need the VIN to sell you a key but also WHICH key you are replacing. As far as I know they only need the VIN so that tells me VIN XYZ will have RFID 123 for every FOB associated to that car.

This applies to starting the car only and not the lock/unlock of doors remotely.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yea, ^^^^ what he said.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:45 AM

And in reference to the other question.. did you actually read what I posted.. I'd say those lasts lines pretty much defines things since the transponder is not required to lock/unlock.
Is it possible to program a FOB from car A to lock/unlock car B? Not start, just remotely lock/unlock the doors.

I ask because the description you posted mrmiata looks like programming the doors to the car takes into account having the correct FOB in the correct car. Or the proper RFID for this VIN is being programmed to lock/unlock the doors in the same VIN car. I just don't recall if people have reported they buy a FOB from Ebay and successfully program it for locks but never start the car.

Good theory, bad theory?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Yea, ^^^^ what he said.
Sooooo....... if my description sounds proper then any speculation as to what happened to Sandy's FOB after the SKREEM replacement that now doesn't start the car?

Before both FOB's start the car, SKREEM replaced now only one does. We know the RFID's did not change so... ???

I cannot explain it other than timing of an RFID chip fail or loose inside the non-working FOB.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:58 AM

I disagree, The SKREEM is the programable device via the DRBIII. The FOB's RFID is not programable via DRBIII so the FOB RFID must be the device on file per VIN. When the SKREEM is replaced the DRBIII is matching the new SKREEM to the existing FOB's RFID so you can use the existing FOB's.

My suspicions are the RFID in each FOB for a specific VIN are identical meaning VIN XYZ has FOB RFID 123 for any FOB mfr'ed for that VIN. If it were not this way then every time a SKREEM was replaced the dealer would have to enter all the possible codes for a FOB's RFID and places like Needswings would not only need the VIN to sell you a key but also WHICH key you are replacing. As far as I know they only need the VIN so that tells me VIN XYZ will have RFID 123 for every FOB associated to that car.

This applies to starting the car only and not the lock/unlock of doors remotely.
I thought I said that the SKREEM was programmed to suit the chip in the fob, so any new key would have a new chip in it programmed to matched the old chip. Remember I did say 'and whatever else has codes in it'.
All this info being kept in a locked vault deep under Mount Chrysler.
I now give up this futile argument, I have always had two keys for my Crossfires and they worked or work perfectly.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:06 PM

Well feel free to enlighten us on how the dealer completely disables a single key if so requested. Or do they just disable a fob and hand you a note that your car is still susceptible to theft should the person find the car unlocked. Makes sense to me.

Maybe spend some time with Google and enlighten yourself vrs your own theories?

And the DRBIII doesn't "know" ****.. it is only used to transfer the code from the PCM.. which is why if both are toast you get to buy a brand new set of keys to go with those fries.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:12 PM

Is it possible to program a FOB from car A to lock/unlock car B? Not start, just remotely lock/unlock the doors.

I ask because the description you posted mrmiata looks like programming the doors to the car takes into account having the correct FOB in the correct car. Or the proper RFID for this VIN is being programmed to lock/unlock the doors in the same VIN car. I just don't recall if people have reported they buy a FOB from Ebay and successfully program it for locks but never start the car.

Good theory, bad theory?

That feature called search here answers this question.. repeatedly ..

Old 08-27-2015, 02:12 PM

That feature called search here answers this question.. repeatedly ..
I wasn't asking you to search it, I was asking you for your answer. So saying yes they can or no they can't I need to search for?

Last edited by KDW4Him; 08-27-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:48 PM

I wasn't asking you to search it, I was asking you for your answer. So saying yes they can or no they can't I need to search for?

I posted this early... and was obviously ignored..

As you then state "must all have the same rfid".. example of ignored post.

So I figured you'd want the answer from someone else..

Old 08-27-2015, 07:20 PM

I posted this early... and was obviously ignored..

As you then state "must all have the same rfid".. example of ignored post.

So I figured you'd want the answer from someone else..
So help me out here, which of your answers are to my question "Is it possible to program a FOB from car A to lock/unlock car B? Not start, just remotely lock/unlock the doors." In other words, can you take your FOB and program it to my car to unlock the doors? A simple yes you can or no it won't work will suffice.

The things you just posted...

"8 Keys Already Learned, Programming Not Done
The SKIM transponder ID memory is full."

Are probably dealing with the locking system and not the starting system. Unless you have some additional information. Also it makes no sense the SKREEM is past 8 keys since Sandy only had two. Where did all the other "blank" codes go?

I posted two possible scenarios as to why Sandy's second key is not working. RFID chip failure or RFID chip loose inside FOB.

What do you take the manual's phrase "each SKREEM is programmed with a unique secret key code." to mean? The RFID or a secret code that normal remote entry systems exchange every time you hit unlock on a remote? (rolling code remote technology) I ask you because it matters as to which system the manual is referencing, starting or locking. It doesn't say specifically.

The SKREEM handles both functions, RFID chip authorization to start and remote locking. Most cars use rolling code remotes so we have to sync a new SKREEM to a FOB for locking not starting. I suspect the description you posted is a mix of programming the SKREEM to the RFID in the FOB for starting AND syncing the "secret" key code for remote locking. I also suspect the SKREEM will allow only 8 keys for locking but unlimited for starting since all FOBS for a VIN have the same RFID code.

If you think the system works differently I would like to hear it. From you. I have to fill in some blanks technically in my descriptions because I cannot decode Chryslers terminology in their manual. IE:"unique secret key code." From what I know of rolling code remotes and RFID all contribute to my description however these cars could have been engineered several ways. I am trying to discern just the starting system and ignore the locking. (for now)

Rolling code here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_code

Last edited by KDW4Him; 08-27-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good theory, bad theory?
Personally, I don't know, but I bet it would work. I have my own theories on how these get programmed and work, which are based on what actually happens, not what most opinions think they are. But I honestly don't know. I think the part about the transponder in the key should be asked of Rob of NeedsWings since he does something to make them functional in you car when you get a new one from him. If anybody can answer correctly, he could.
As for the remote unlock transmitter, I believe that nothing is programmed on the keyfob, but the car is "taught" to accept its codes, and it is taught to authorize it based on the rfid in the key being already an acceptable value.
SO I believe, that if you had your key for your car ready to start, and someone else hit unlock twice right before that, their remote might be accepted in the future for your car. I would love to test that (with someone else's car and keys of course!)
Back to the rfid deal, what I think is
1 - the car needs told what key(s) to accept, and can be done by Chrysler connected to the car
2 - just guessing, but I think Rob programs a blank RFID to the same vin based sequence as one of the original factory keys that came with the car, so it is effectively a clone of one of the original, not a trusted new key.
I'm sure the real info is out there, but I haven't seen it on this site, and haven't really looked hard.
Just remember to think of the key assembly as 3 totally separate devices which are only mechanically connected
1 - Mechanical metal key which manually allows things to turn.
2 - Keyless entry remote fob which uses batteries to transmit when you press the buttons.
3 - rfid chip which is charged from signal transmitted from ring near ignition switch, and then transmits a coded response.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
Just remember to think of the key assembly as 3 totally separate devices which are only mechanically connected
1 - Mechanical metal key which manually allows things to turn.
2 - Keyless entry remote fob which uses batteries to transmit when you press the buttons.
3 - rfid chip which is charged from signal transmitted from ring near ignition switch, and then transmits a coded response.

Yes, three individual systems that somehow interact within the SKREEM. The internals to the SKREEM is where I am guessing.

One guess is if a FOB from your car cannot be synced to my car its because the SKREEM says your not one of mine due to RFID so it won't allow the sync. This would explain why the FOB needs to be IN the ignition to sync the locking.

Another guess is I could get 7 more keys from Needswings and only the first 6 would lock the car since my 2 already are synced for locking but all would start the car since the RFID is correct.

The best educated guess is one RFID per vin otherwise Needswings would need to know which FOB you are replacing.

We all may get this figured out...

Quick Reply: Fob programming for door unlocking