Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Please Help - SRT6 abruptly loses all power

Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help - SRT6 abruptly loses all power

Hey all,

I've been having issues with my SRT6 since last September and it has been to the dealer probably 15 times to try and sort it out. Basically, when I'm driving along the car suddenly loses all power. I can put the pedal to the floor but nothing happens. It stays running, but the idle bounces and the car shudders horribly. I usually do not get a CEL, though in the past I have (BAS/ESP & Check engine). If I cycle the key a few times it will come back to life and run normally for a month or so. I'm hoping someone has resolved a similar problem and can offer some guidance. I even have some videos of the car in inaction if it would help someone help me!

The dealer has changed my ECM (2x), MAP sensor, TPS, throttle body, pedal assembly, but never the IC pump. They have told me they can't re-create the problem, so there is nothing to fix and nothing they can do.

The issue began when the car had ~16K and now it has 30K.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 08-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Please Help - SRT6 abruptly loses all power

Sounds like they fixed everything but the real problem. It's most likely the IC pump from what you described.

Last edited by robby363; 08-09-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

+1

Theses cars hate dealerships, and the feelings are mutual.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular

Sounds like more than one problem. I would agree with the others that the IC pump would be the culprit of the loss of power (horsepower) but that pump being bad wouldn't give you any warning lights like you mention. It also would not affect the idle.

Post up the video you have and let's see if it tells us anything.

RL

Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will get the video up shortly. I originally did a lot of research here on this issue and I sent the following e-mail to the dealer. Much of the info lead to the IC pump, but I wonder if they ever read it:

Dear Dealer,

Here are some threads from the Crossfire forum with other owners and the loss of power:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/46094-occasional-slow-acceleration.html
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/41537-srt-6-occasional-loss-power.html
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/40517-loss-power.html

Here is a long multi-year thread with many people having the same issue and ways it has been attempted to fix:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/11278-sometimes-sluggish-acceleration.html

One of the forum members posted his dealer's write-up:

Customer states vehicle has no boost from supercharger when it is warm. Check and advise. Road test and verify complaint. Check for codes. P011 = intake air temp sensor circuit high. Check intake air sensor. Voltages and values are within spec. Connector and harness at temp sensor: OK. Found case K80420155. Check air cooler circulation pump. Check power and ground. Found fuse13 open. Replace air circulation pump fuse 13. Confirm operation road test. Condition duplicated after road test. Found fuse blown. Insect wiring: OK. Pump causing open fuse. Replace air circulation pump. Replace fuse. Clear code. Road test. Confirm repair.

There are more threads, but I'm hoping these will offer enough history on the problem. If you have any questions, please let me know.

I haven't had lights in a while, but as I said, there is no power at all...not simply a lack of boost. From a stand still the car will not even accelerate...it just stalls if you give it too much gas. The video will show it.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Where do you live (City and State)? If you live close to me, bring it over and I'll help you figure it out.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM

I'm in Middlebury, IN (just south of the MI border).

Here is the link to the video. I had to clip it short as it came from my phone:

Crossfire SRT6 Idle & Power Issue - YouTube

Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Forum Regular

Just a thought - but since you've had a CEL in the past, have you checked to see if the car has any stored codes currently?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:24 AM

It had codes stored the last time I took it in, but they were for things already changed - MAP Sensor and I believe voltage of fan to the PCM (that was an interesting one in itself - for a while the fan was getting 220V and sounded like a jet whenever I started the car).

I said, "well, since the codes have come up again, doesn't that mean that whatever you have changed/fixed isn't sufficient?" - Response: "Well, it could be the wiring harness". But, they (and the aftermarket warranty company) did not want to delve into that due to the cost and not physically "seeing" the problem. They said they had to run a diagnostic when it is actually in the process of malfunctioning. I called them Wednesday morning when it acted up in the video, but it was going to take them nearly two hours to get someone out as the techs had not arrived yet.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Forum Regular

In the video - did you floor it in drive with no response? If so, do you get no response when applying throttle in park or in neutral?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 AM

Have you had any codes for the EVAP system?

Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Yes, in both instances it does nothing. In gear and in park it does just as you saw. That was floored when it stalled and when it started to move slowly. I've not tried in neutral...

I don't recall ever having a code for EVAP.

Last edited by RxRot; 08-09-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RxRot
Yes, in both instances it does nothing. In gear and in park it does just as you saw. That was floored when it stalled and when it started to move slowly. I've not tried in neutral...

I don't recall ever having a code for EVAP.
Have you or anyone else investigated the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)? Since this car does not have a direct linkage attached to the throttle body (a cable), it uses a sensor to tell it what position the throttle is in - sounds to me like the computer is not getting that information for whatever reason.

Does the car happen to have a "sprint booster" installed?

RL

Old 08-09-2013, 02:16 PM

They changed the TPS and the entire pedal assembly for that very reason.

The car is bone stock, nothing ever aftermarket.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Forum Regular

They changed the TPS and the entirehttps://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54003&page=4 pedal assemfor that very reason.

The car is bone stock, nothing ever aftermarket.
Yep - re-read your first post and saw that - sorry about that

There is a thread on here that kind of describes your problem and many members pointed at the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) and the re-soldering of the Relay Control Module (RCM).

I don't think your symptoms qualify for either of these repairs, but the RCM repair costs nothing and really should be done if it hasn't been done already.

The CPS is not a hard job to do but the part is about $50 - if you decide you want to try this repair, be sure to use only a Bosch CPS. Others have reported bad luck with the off brand units.

Also, just throwing this out, how old is your battery? These cars are very voltage sensitive, and since your problem is intermittent, that might be the cause.

I'll see if I can dig up that other thread and post it for you.

EDIT:

Found the link:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...imp-power.html

A lot of discussion about different things in it, but read what Smokey is saying about his car and see if that is what you're experiencing (somewhat).

Last edited by RL67037; 08-09-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 AM

Thanks or that post. I forwarded it to the dealer, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this! I did send a message to Smokey and he says his car has been running normally since the RCM replacement. Hopefully that's the culprit in my case as well! Thanks again for the input everyone.

Also, my battery was replaced about 1.5 years ago. The alarm started randomly going off and shortly thereafter I ran into starting/power issues...turns out the battery was the source of the problem.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks or that post. I forwarded it to the dealer, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this! I did send a message to Smokey and he says his car has been running normally since the RCM replacement. Hopefully that's the culprit in my case as well! Thanks again for the input everyone.

Also, my battery was replaced about 1.5 years ago. The alarm started randomly going off and shortly thereafter I ran into starting/power issues...turns out the battery was the source of the problem.
Sounds good - but be aware - before the dealer sells you a new or refurbished RCM, there is a thread on here on how to fix them if you have a soldering iron and basic soldering skills....it's not that difficult. Up to you for the final decision, but I thought you should know.

Good luck

RL