Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Brake light work only when headlight are off

Old 02-26-2018, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light work only when headlight are off

Several weeks ago I had a minor accident that involved a guide wire (fence) breaking my two front headlights and grill .I drove the car home after the accident and my BAS/ESP light came on later in the week I replaced the headlights and bulbs. The BAS/ESP light remained on afterthe repair. I tried to reset severat times by turning the steering wheel as directed in the fourm. The brakes lights function correctly when the headlight switch is in the off position BUT when I turn the headlight on the brake light do not function correctly. ( I believe they stay on).

2005 crossfire
no other known issues

Old 02-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: Brake light work only when headlight are off

Originally Posted by jt2005crossfire
Several weeks ago I had a minor accident that involved a guide wire (fence) breaking my two front headlights and grill .I drove the car home after the accident and my BAS/ESP light came on later in the week I replaced the headlights and bulbs. The BAS/ESP light remained on afterthe repair. I tried to reset severat times by turning the steering wheel as directed in the fourm. The brakes lights function correctly when the headlight switch is in the off position BUT when I turn the headlight on the brake light do not function correctly. ( I believe they stay on).

2005 crossfire
no other known issues
The brake lights and the BAS/ESP problems are connected and have nothing to do with the headlights. I would suspect a brake switch problem, this may just be a coincidence.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by jt2005crossfire
The brakes lights function correctly when the headlight switch is in the off position BUT when I turn the headlight on the brake light do not function correctly. ( I believe they stay on).
How can we help you if you can't tell us what the symptom is?

You say all is well with lights off. Ok, got that.

NOW:
You turn light on and what happens:

--- The brake lights come on and stay on. (ICM I would think.)
--- The brake lights come on when I step on the brakes, but then won't go back off. (This would make me think there is some odd screw-up that is "latching" the brake light relay, looking at the wiring diagrams [which are incomplete and not totally accurate] the only thing I can come up with is the Antilock Controller module - but I just don't see how.....)

The CLPSSM is wired to the tail lights thru diodes, don't see how that could be it...

Old 02-26-2018, 11:35 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
How can we help you if you can't tell us what the symptom is?

You say all is well with lights off. Ok, got that.

NOW:
You turn light on and what happens:

--- The brake lights come on and stay on. (ICM I would think.)
--- The brake lights come on when I step on the brakes, but then won't go back off. (This would make me think there is some odd screw-up that is "latching" the brake light relay, looking at the wiring diagrams [which are incomplete and not totally accurate] the only thing I can come up with is the Antilock Controller module - but I just don't see how.....)

The CLPSSM is wired to the tail lights thru diodes, don't see how that could be it...
Too many times we have seen symptoms lumped together and then found they were caused by different problems. Another cause of rear light problems has been the use of the wrong bulb in a socket causing problems.