Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

I found this part to be the cause of the erratic climate control fan speed

Old 01-21-2022, 07:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: I found this part to be the cause of the erratic climate control fan speed

Hi Guys

The erratic heater control has now got to the point that it has to be fixed this summer (In the UK) so its way to cold to pull the heater unit apart at the moment, but I want to have the parts in my hand ready to go.

I have been onto Piher and they don't have any stock of the 4K7 potentiometer that they guarantee will work in our unit.

So can I ask if anybody has got a replacement part that has worked 100% and hence what was the part number of the item you ordered/received.

Cheers

Old 01-28-2022, 05:31 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: I found this part to be the cause of the erratic climate control fan speed

I got tired of missing with mine. So i bought one from a slk. Its been working great for over a year now. I had to trim the crossfire panel just a little.

Old 01-29-2022, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by bc75
I got tired of missing with mine. So i bought one from a slk. Its been working great for over a year now. I had to trim the crossfire panel just a little.
Did the unit come from an "OLD" SLK i.e. 2004-2010 or a more modern one i.e. 2015 onwards?

Old 01-29-2022, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by THETESTER
Did the unit come from an "OLD" SLK i.e. 2004-2010 or a more modern one i.e. 2015 onwards?
It was from a 02 slk.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:11 PM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

It was from a 02 slk.

Good to know! Just for info/grins, what was the MB part number for the head?

Old 01-29-2022, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Good to know! Just for info/grins, what was the MB part number for the head?

It was A1708301085. I had to trim some of my dash bezel by the heat control on the unit. It didn't take just a couple of minutes with some sand paper.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:50 AM

It was A1708301085. I had to trim some of my dash bezel by the heat control on the unit. It didn't take just a couple of minutes with some sand paper.
I noticed that the item you quoted is a different "shape" to our Xfire units i.e the internal circuit boards have been positioned to make the unit deeper. This should not make any difference as the functions should be exactly the same, however, can you confirm that it was a direct plug in replacement to the existing Xfire wiring harness?

Old 01-30-2022, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by THETESTER
I noticed that the item you quoted is a different "shape" to our Xfire units i.e the internal circuit boards have been positioned to make the unit deeper. This should not make any difference as the functions should be exactly the same, however, can you confirm that it was a direct plug in replacement to the existing Xfire wiring harness?
Its the same.Before i bought it a was on the slk forums seeing if they had the same problem as we do. I couldn't find one complaint about the fan speed. So i thought i would give it a try.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:56 AM

Its the same.Before i bought it a was on the slk forums seeing if they had the same problem as we do. I couldn't find one complaint about the fan speed. So i thought i would give it a try.
Thanks BC75

It is my intention to "pull" the unit in springtime (warmer weather), change the fan speed potentiometer (if I can find one), re-solder every pin on both circuit boards, check the power being fed to the fan speed controller and then if all fails I will have a proper look into getting an old SLK unit from a salvage/scrap dealer in the UK.

As a matter of interest does anybody know if anybody actually found a way of physically testing the blower motor resistor block?

Old 01-30-2022, 10:40 PM

Thanks, put in my parts list page for references... Can you post a picture of the unit in place? If not, it's OK...

Old 01-31-2022, 06:28 AM

Just remembered. Everything works the same except the ac. It is backwards on is off off is on.No big deal to me but it might bother some people.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:39 AM
Received 458 Likes on 221 Posts

FWIW, I had this same issue in our 04 Limited, and it was the potentiometer in the controls. However, I did not replace it. I simply used electronics cleaner on it (in it), and then re-lubed it with silicone spray. It has been fine for the last two years, now.

Edit: This took less than an hour with ordinary hand tools to accomplish. Not a major project.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maggy55
Yes , I still have a few
I need this potentiometer. Do you have any left for purchase? Or can you give me the part number.
Thanks
Bryan

Old 02-25-2022, 08:02 AM

If you have still some pots left, please let us know

Old 02-25-2022, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Madice
If you have still some pots left, please let us know
I did the same thing nemiro did. “Cleaned potentiometer in electronically cleaner” Spray into cap till puddle forms. Submerge potentiometer take out and turn dial. Repeat 5 to 10 times, let dry and replace. Works perfectly. If you don't want to do the work, I have extra control module for sale $220.00 “I did the potentiometer fix”, plugged it into my 2005 crossfire. Works perfectly. Plug and play ready to go. Takes 10 min to install in your car. If anyone else wants one, I will rebuild one for you. BEWARE of ebay. I bought a replacement module. Said it had been tested and worked. When I received it. Same problem, erratic fan speed. This is why I have extra control module. The prices on eBay vary from $90 to $180 for used part. I'm willing to repair used modules if you send it to me $120.00. Questions, contact me at bgrip2@yahoo.com or leave a message

Old 02-28-2022, 03:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

These should work as a replacement,

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...Tqwd04TLRSQBlz

Old 02-28-2022, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Thanks, put in my parts list page for references... Can you post a picture of the unit in place? If not, it's OK...

Sorry it took so long.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:32 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Looks nice, was there much to trim?

Old 02-28-2022, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Looks nice, was there much to trim?
No it didn't. The heat control would move but was tight. I took a file it didn't take 5 minutes.

Old 03-01-2022, 12:18 AM

Sorry it took so long.

Thanks, looks OK! Night time, does it light up OK? When you said the A/C was 'backwards' ("Everything works the same except the ac. It is backwards on is off off is on."), what exactly do you mean? Thanks.

Quick Reply: I found this part to be the cause of the erratic climate control fan speed