Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Automatic transmission fluid change

Old 05-05-2021, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic transmission fluid change

Hi everyone, please can someone tell me what I will need to change my automatic transmission fluid, the parts, type of fluid and tools, and if you have any tips on how to do it too that would be great, The car is a 2005 Crossfire coupe automatic.
Many Thanks

Old 05-05-2021, 10:31 AM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Re: Automatic transmission fluid change

first don't do it ,,unless u r having a problem with the tranny also ,unless your fluid is black, or burnt ,, and if u still want,,to but ,not need to change it , the only drain is by dropping the pan ,,catch as much as u can strain it clean it and put it back, (if it is not black or burnt,, ) you can only remove 30 to 40% of the old fluid and some times when new fluid is mixed with old fluid the tranny will slip. get a dip stick, your car does not have one ,dipstick tube yes dip stick no look at the color .
the transmission is a sealed unit it does not get dirty and only needs changing if there is a problem I have not changed my tranny fluid in a transmission in 20 years owning over 100 different cars, my last crossfire before installing a V8 and performance tranny had 174000 miles with out changing the fluid and no tranny problems.
jim

Old 05-05-2021, 11:04 AM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

amx1397 - Very good information, thank you. My tranny is shifting nicely and running fine. Can't tell if there is any dark or burnt fluid since there is no dip stick. I have 77,000 miles on mine and had thought of having it changed just as a preventive maintenance gesture. Your thread has convinced me to leave it alone.

Jim

Old 05-05-2021, 06:10 PM
Received 563 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
first don't do it ,,unless u r having a problem with the tranny also ,unless your fluid is black, or burnt ,, and if u still want,,to but ,not need to change it , the only drain is by dropping the pan ,,catch as much as u can strain it clean it and put it back, (if it is not black or burnt,, ) you can only remove 30 to 40% of the old fluid and some times when new fluid is mixed with old fluid the tranny will slip. get a dip stick, your car does not have one ,dipstick tube yes dip stick no look at the color .
the transmission is a sealed unit it does not get dirty and only needs changing if there is a problem I have not changed my tranny fluid in a transmission in 20 years owning over 100 different cars, my last crossfire before installing a V8 and performance tranny had 174000 miles with out changing the fluid and no tranny problems.
jim
By the time you have a problem with the transmission it may be too late to change the oil.
Dipsticks can be made using a long cable tie or one identical to the MB dipstick purchased from our friends in China for less than $10.
The red cap on the fill tube can be reused if taken off as outlined in a thread on this forum or a new one purchased for a $1 or so.
There is a drain plug in the lower pan and your pal Rudy recommends only using MB transmission oil and 40,000 miles is an excellent time to change the oil and filter.
It is also a good time to change the electrical plug.
I am going to do mine soon.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-05-2021 at 06:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by onehundred80:
BrushRoadster! (05-16-2022), pizzaguy (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 08:57 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
first don't do it ,,unless u r having a problem with the tranny
A transmission shop owner once told me: "If everyone did a fluid and filter change to their automatic transmission every 50,000 miles, it would almost put me out of business."

the transmission is a sealed unit it does not get dirty
And it does not absorb moisture, either?

I have not changed my tranny fluid in a transmission in 20 years owning over 100 different cars, my last crossfire before installing a V8 and performance tranny had 174000 miles with out changing the fluid and no tranny problems.
jim
Using your logic, if I see prostitutes for twenty years and never catch a disease, Ive just proved that visiting prostitutes is safe.

Jim, you are probably the nicest guy on this forum - but I SO totally disagree with your advice to simply ignore maintenance on an automatic transmission.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 05-05-2021 at 09:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BrushRoadster! (05-16-2022)
Old 05-05-2021, 10:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We had a washer leak that forced us to drain the transmission fluid. We kept what we drained and added it back to the transmission (adding fresh fluid to make up the slight difference). It’s been fine ever since at 90K miles... I wouldn’t change it unless you need to. I’ve seen this advice in multiple places.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Ive changed my fluid twice since I owned this car. My car has 229k on the original trans. You're not going to get to my mileage with the same trans without changing it. Even if you only remove 30 to 40% its better than nothing and also there is still a filter in that should be changed.
I change it between every 50 to 60k.

I don't recommend trans flushes though. Ive seen that mess up transmission numerous times on various cars.

Brian P (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 11:01 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by philosophico
Ive changed my fluid twice since I owned this car. My car has 229k on the original trans. You're not going to get to my mileage with the same trans without changing it. Even if you only remove 30 to 40% its better than nothing and also there is still a filter in that should be changed.
I change it between every 50 to 60k.

I don't recommend trans flushes though. Ive seen that mess up transmission numerous times on various cars.
I have to agree with you with 226000 miles yes ,if at 126000 miles if i see discolored fluid i would change mine also,, as i stated above i had 174000 miles on my tranny before going with a v8 tranny
at that time a friend needed a transmission , he did put in new fluid but that tranny is still going today, don't know the miles he has put on it if u can get a mechanic that is not going to make money on your car he will tell you what i told u,,, your car,,you do what you think or what you have been to do with it.
good luck,, and help the economy ,change your tranny fluid every 50000 miles jim

BrushRoadster! (05-16-2022)