TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

steering / ignition locking

Old 07-27-2016, 06:32 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: steering / ignition locking

Originally Posted by DarksideXF
Hey guys, hate to post in such an old thread, read through the entire thing and can't find the answer I'm looking for. My ignition was sticky since I got the car so would just give the wheel a few rugs and it would turn (I've had the car 4 years and it never got worse). Well a couple weeks ago it locked completely and I cannot get the key to turn at all. How do I remove the ignition or the key cylinder without turning the key?? Do I need to drop the column?

Also, I have parts on the way that should be here Thursday from a donor car of the same year. It comes with the entire ignition assembly, key and fob, along with the RFID ring... As long I have the RFID ring and fob from the same car it should work right??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guy!
Go to post #31 in this thread , click on the .pdf mentioned in the update and you will see the instructions on how to do this for free in one to two hours. You should have done it before you got to this point. Send the parts back if you can, they will not work.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You are replying to a post that is three years old and contains some bone headed ideas.
If your car is a 2004 to 2006 model you have the sticky ignition problem. Look for the .pdf in an earlier post in this thread and read it.
You can fix it yourself for free with just an hour or so of your time.
Oil and fuse changes are not going to solve the sticky ignition.

Fine, I just ordered the part, well the Mercedes part, hopefully it'll do the trick.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by newestguy007
Fine, I just ordered the part, well the Mercedes part, hopefully it'll do the trick.
You are not understanding - you need NO part. Just follow the procedure in the PDF, I've fixed no less than four cars and have taught a kid who has fixed at least three so far.

You need no parts, just follow the procedure's special instructions that say "If your key won't turn at all...."

This is far easier than you are making it.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Administrator

That is to say, at step 10 it tells you to skip ahead if your key won't turn..

Bottom of post 1 here click on "VERSION 5"
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ru-2006-a.html

Old 07-27-2016, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Do NOT let this intimidate you! ! ! !

Old 07-27-2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
You are not understanding - you need NO part. Just follow the procedure in the PDF, I've fixed no less than four cars and have taught a kid who has fixed at least three so far.

You need no parts, just follow the procedure's special instructions that say "If your key won't turn at all...."

This is far easier than you are making it.
I'm understanding perfectly fine, I know I don't need it but I don't want any surprises, the link said if I want to, and I want to, don't worry about what I want to do and what I am comfortable with. Did you not read the PDF yourself?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, 007 He was just trying to HELP you. Buy the parts if you want to, but it's an easy fix that can be done , in your driveway, in 1hr. min. an 2.5 if your watching a ballgame. Most people like to keep the small amount of money that's not accounted for each week, month or year. Good luck with your fix!

Old 07-27-2016, 02:08 PM

To put the part in he has to take out the old part, while it is out he could just remove the cover, spring and pin, maybe five minutes work max.
Not my money and I guess the economy needs all the help it can get.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:36 PM

Newestguy007, there are some guys on this forum who can really help you if you let them.
Pizzaguy, Onehundred80 and Ala_Xfire are three that come to mind.
They have a wealth of knowledge about these cars because they've been there and done that, more than once.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mackel
Newestguy007, there are some guys on this forum who can really help you if you let them.
Pizzaguy, Onehundred80 and Ala_Xfire are three that come to mind.
They have a wealth of knowledge about these cars because they've been there and done that, more than once.
And on that note, here's a big thank you to Mark, Dave and George!!! They're always here to answer an help, any way they can an they're not the only one's. That is what makes this ,a great forum! Call ,Chrystealer an see what you get ,("I don't know or it'll be 2 weeks an do you have a mortgage!) there.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Wow, 007 He was just trying to HELP you. Buy the parts if you want to, but it's an easy fix that can be done , in your driveway, in 1hr. min. an 2.5 if your watching a ballgame. Most people like to keep the small amount of money that's not accounted for each week, month or year. Good luck with your fix!

I know , I realized that later, if he reads this , I apologize. I wasn't able to download the PDF as I am at work, so I just read it off the forum and made a quick judgement. Thank you all

Old 07-27-2016, 05:25 PM

Go to post #31 in this thread , click on the .pdf mentioned in the update and you will see the instructions on how to do this for free in one to two hours. You should have done it before you got to this point. Send the parts back if you can, they will not work.
Why would the parts not work? Purchased on eBay and they'll be here tomorrow so there's no possibility of returning them...

Old 07-27-2016, 06:02 PM

Why would the parts not work? Purchased on eBay and they'll be here tomorrow so there's no possibility of returning them...
The complete set of components is required, what you have, the SKREEM and the PCM I believe. There is a code in the SKREEM that matches the chip in the keys and PCM.
As stated it can be fixed just by removing a little spring and pin, I'm assuming this is an '04 to '06 model. If not we will think again.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:24 PM

The complete set of components is required, what you have, the SKREEM and the PCM I believe. There is a code in the SKREEM that matches the chip in the keys and PCM.
As stated it can be fixed just by removing a little spring and pin, I'm assuming this is an '04 to '06 model. If not we will think again.
Yes it's an 04... It came with what I thought was all the parts needed. Guess it's money wasted and hopefully I can figure it out. I can't tell exactly where this pin is in the .pdf I look all over around the ignition and see no shiny pin.... Once I locate that just drill it or cut it off and the ignition assembly should pull out? Or...

Old 07-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The 'shiny pin' is usually hidden behind the lower part of the plastic shroud on the lower steering wheel column. After the dash bottom is dropped, you have to push back the shroud to see it clearly.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:02 PM

Yes it's an 04... It came with what I thought was all the parts needed. Guess it's money wasted and hopefully I can figure it out. I can't tell exactly where this pin is in the .pdf I look all over around the ignition and see no shiny pin.... Once I locate that just drill it or cut it off and the ignition assembly should pull out? Or...
The pin and spring you remove is hidden under that little plate you have to remove. The pin you have to grind/drill off is as George says is hidden by the trim under the steering wheel which you pullback. It is all explained in the PDF quite well. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:02 PM

I'm trying to fix this myself, however I took the panel off , the transponder ring unhooked , and I have no idea where the location is at, can anyone take a picture and show me??? Thanks in advance

Old 07-31-2016, 08:04 PM
Administrator

You won't see the pin until you get to step 15 - it's under that collar held on by this bolt.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by newestguy007
I'm trying to fix this myself, however I took the panel off , the transponder ring unhooked , and I have no idea where the location is at, can anyone take a picture and show me??? Thanks in advance
There is a complete article on how to fix this problem. CLICK
The photo shown by PG is only a part of it and what he says is a bit misleading. You loosen that bolt and then push the trim panel on the left over and then pin is underneath. You then grind the pin away with a Dremel or drill it off which is the trickiest way to do it.
It all depends if your key is locked in the ignition or not.
Look at the sticky ignition fix. You would not be asking this question if you had read it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-31-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:27 PM

I'm trying to drill out the locking pin, nothing is happening, how exactly do I drill it out?

Quick Reply: steering / ignition locking