TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
OK, I picked up one of these buzzers at Radio Shack today and just spent the last 20 minutes or so installing it. That time included gathering up everything I needed and putting everything away when I was done. I mounted the buzzer outside the fuse box with some double sided 3M tape, securing it to the adjacent body panel.

I really like how it isn't terribly loud and annoying, just enough to confirm that the doors are locked/unlocked. Once again a big THANK YOU to corfire for the how-to on this!
Mike in orange,

Which model buzzer did you buy?. I also want a buzzer that is not loud...just an acknowledge tone that the doors are open or locked.

Thanks

Old 03-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BRappaport
Mike in orange,

Which model buzzer did you buy?. I also want a buzzer that is not loud...just an acknowledge tone that the doors are open or locked.

Thanks
I got the one corfire specified in his original post - P/N 273-059. Just have the guys at the counter check their computer for that part number and pull it for you.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they have one that play "Rebelee" just like the General Lee on Dukes of Hazzard? .... lol

Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

Thanks Corfire, my wife likes it too!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:03 AM

It's simple and works well. Just got to make sure you get a buzzer with enough dB to overcome the ambient noise where the car is parked. The little buzzer I grabbed works, but it is too quiet and I don't like the sound of this particular buzzer. I'll stop by the store and get another.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:28 AM

An earlier post describes how to program the car's computer to get a chirp. It's under a menu selection for The Netherlands.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ighlight=chirp

Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Forum Regular

[quote=Rblakeney]An earlier post describes how to program the car's computer to get a chirp. It's under a menu selection for The Netherlands.

Yep. There are many posts on here about getting a dealer to reprogramming the security system to the 'Netherlands', and/or changing the factory siren to a later/different version. It sounds like some have had success and others have not. I did not try any of those ideas. So, I don't know how well they might work? It seems that the results are a bit dependent on the luck of getting the right dealer, the right tech, the right siren, and possibly the right model year or version of the Crossfire. There were just to many unknowns and expenses for me.

So, I came up with my inexpensive Radio Shack 'Buzzer' option, and made the info available to those who want to try it and have the capability of doing it (or have a buddy that does). It is relatively easy to do. If you don't like the results, it appears that there are other possibilities. Or, if you don’t want sound, don’t do anything! Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by corfire; 03-28-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by corfire
Here are some more details about the installation with diagram and picture attachments:
The Remote Keyless Entry Relay is located under the cover on the under hood fuse panel. You need to remove the panel lid & cover, not just the lid to find it (See Pic 2 & 3).

The relay is on the driver’s side of the panel closest to the windshield (Pic 4 & Figure 2). I added the ‘tone’ buzzer inside the panel near the front and ran the connecting wires between the two staying clear of the fuses.

To make connections to the relay, I pulled the relay out and made my two connections to pins 85 & 86 on the bottom of the relay using small gage solid wire that I had on hand. In the circuit, pin 85 is connected to 12 VDC via fuse 35. Pin 86 is switched to ground as the relay is operated. I wrapped and squeezed the stripped solid wire around the pins, then dressed the ‘tails’ up the side of the relay on each side and taped them under tension against the relay (Pics 5 & 6). I decided not to solder them to the pins, because the connection seemed to be good and the buzzer is very low current (10ma). You could solder them, and I might if the connection proves to be intermittent later. However, one must be very careful not to apply excessive heat, because the internal relay pin connections could become damaged. Just a warning to proceed with soldering at your own risk. Of course, all of what you will be doing is at your own risk! By the way, you could make the connections in other ways. This just seemed to be the easiest to me. Here’s another warning. If you decide to use stranded wire, the stripped wire should be twisted and flooded with solder before trying to wrap it onto the relay pins to make sure that no loose strands short to other pins on the relay.

I did make solder connections between the relay and buzzer wires, and covered with heat shrink (Pics 7 & 8). Any other insulated connection method could be used. It would probably be a good idea to pull fuse 35 before re-installing the relay with the buzzer connected. However, I did not! Once the relay is re-inserted, the buzzer should make some noise along with blinking of the lights when the doors are locked or unlocked using the key fob.

THIS IS ACTUALLY EASIER THAN IT SOUNDS! Just pull the relay, connect the buzzer, and re-install it. The buzzer can be placed under the fuse block cover or outside the cover if you want it to be louder.
Confire, I believe you are right that fuse 35 should be removed while doing the work. Can you tell me where it is located? Thanks

Old 03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Forum Regular

Confire, I believe you are right that fuse 35 should be removed while doing the work. Can you tell me where it is located? Thanks
It's located in the fuse block under the hood. The same block that the relay is in. See the original attachment or the one attached below. It is near the buzzer location on the diagram.

Attached Files

Last edited by corfire; 03-28-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:04 PM

It's located in the fuse block under the hook. The same block that the relay is in. See the original attachment or the one attached below. It is near the buzzer location on the diagram.
Thanks, Confire, for the info and the quick response. I did not notice it in the original diagram...to excited about your great post! Also, I had gone thru 2 years ago trying to reprogram the computer with my dealer for the "chirp" with the "Neitherland" coding, but they could not make it happen. Even tried a Mersedes dealer with no luck either. Thanks again for your clever and professional posting. GREAT JOB!!!!!!

Best Regards,

Ben

Old 03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks, Confire, for the info and the quick response. I did not notice it in the original diagram...to excited about your great post! Also, I had gone thru 2 years ago trying to reprogram the computer with my dealer for the "chirp" with the "Neitherland" coding, but they could not make it happen. Even tried a Mersedes dealer with no luck either. Thanks again for your clever and professional posting. GREAT JOB!!!!!!

Best Regards,

Ben
Your very welcome. I've got one more comment for you, then I need to get off this darn computer or my wife will kill me. I used the P/N 273-059 which isn't very loud when installed under the fuse panel cover. So, I ended up installing it outside of the fuse panel instead and got the sound I wanted. Others, have used 273-060 which is louder and could probably be left under the cover to get about the same volume or outside for a louder sound. There are also many other choices at Radio Shack. I looked at a big drawer full of them when I was there.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There are also many other choices at Radio Shack. I looked at a big drawer full of them when I was there.
The manager at the Radio Shack that I went to was very helpful and let me compare the sound of 4 of them to decide. He opened the packages, brought up a 12v battery to the counter and we tested each one. Not sure if I was just lucky, or not, but it is worth asking to hear before you buy. I decided on the 273-060 beacuse it is just a little louder and a little higher pitched than the other.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danimal
The manager at the Radio Shack that I went to was very helpful and let me compare the sound of 4 of them to decide. He opened the packages, brought up a 12v battery to the counter and we tested each one. Not sure if I was just lucky, or not, but it is worth asking to hear before you buy. I decided on the 273-060 beacuse it is just a little louder and a little higher pitched than the other.
I got the guys brother-he let me listen to 3 options and I chose the same.

Works for me!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:40 AM

I mounted mine just outside the fuse box on the inner fender under the hood and it sounds good. Not real loud.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Question Re: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

For those of you that have done this installation, have you pulled fuse # 35 before starting the job...or did you leave it in. I was just curious to know, since pulling the fuse removes power to the keyless entry module, does it reset any programming parameters that was done to your key fob keyless entry for locking and unlocking doors and trunk?

Thanks - please reply if you did the install.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Talking Re: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

OK, OK! How Many New Chime/Chirp/Buzzers, are we going to have at the Dragon, Now?

It is every Quiet & Peaceful there, & Those things could sound like a Swarm of Bees or a Flock of Birds!

(I may have to Outlaw their usage at the Meet, next Weekend!) jk

(Let's see 3 Amigos, Dan, Max ; that's five.............. Who else?)

SF

Old 03-29-2008, 10:22 AM

Did two cars...left it in on both...no issues

Old 03-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Default Nice....

Thanks fot this Mod... Did it in 5 minutes... later found that I had Neg and + crossed... all if well now, and I got the 60 series wih the 86dcbl.... Any more cool things we can do, please share... thanks

Old 03-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Forum Regular

This "discovery" has got to go down as a historic mod breakthrough. Corfire should be given a Crossfire Great Achievement Award, succeeding where others have tried and failed.

I plan on installing mine tomorrow.

But I have to ask Corfire one question..... How did you figure this amazingly simple procedure out? Are you an electrician, or just very savvy?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:44 AM

Did not pull fuse and had no problems.

Quick Reply: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?