TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

Hey silverfox-didn't you read the post about the buzzer workshop on Thursday at the dragon? We have FP,Gary and Ann signed up, do you want to join in with the chirping? Also it sounds more like birds than bees so we'll blend in with the surroundings.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brilliant! Thank you for this! Just installed in my XFire - about 20 minutes with a little soldering. Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular

I just did mine with the 060 buzzer. I am absolutely thrilled!!!!!

Thank you, Corfire!!!!

Old 03-30-2008, 02:08 PM

Just want to confrim...others here are describing the sound as a "chirping". Mine is a "beeping" sound. Others the same??

Old 03-30-2008, 03:25 PM

Frank- It's more of a quick tone (beep).

Old 03-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will do an install this week , pulling the fuse would eliminate any grounding problems, but my battery is still disconnected fromm winter storage, so i see no problems with the computer. If saftey is a concern just disconect the battery ,install and reset the clock and FFS

Old 03-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Forum Regular

i think this thread earns a sticky status!

WELL DONE CORFIRE!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:39 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the Part Number 273-060 and installed it inside the fuse box to tone down the volume and protect it from the weather. It's just what I wanted. Thanks again corfire.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by midnightman
This "discovery" has got to go down as a historic mod breakthrough. Corfire should be given a Crossfire Great Achievement Award, succeeding where others have tried and failed.

I plan on installing mine tomorrow.

But I have to ask Corfire one question..... How did you figure this amazingly simple procedure out? Are you an electrician, or just very savvy?
Oh golly gee, I’m not sure it’s that big a deal? I’ve been working on, and messing around with cars casually for around 48 years. However, I just do easy stuff. No hardcore mechanical work. I love my Crossfire, but I have found that it has a few shortcomings for me. Not getting a sound indication when locking and unlocking the doors ‘was’ one of them.

I do have an electronics background, and I am retired with lots of time on my hands. It seemed obvious to me that the clicking sound that you hear when the lights flash during locking and unlocking was from a relay. The location of the clicking noise (the RKE relay) wasn’t that hard to find. Armed with that knowledge; a little ingenuity; the service manual; and knowing where 12VDC sound alerts (buzzers) are available led me to trying and working out the details. As we all know, the electronics and systems in these modern vehicles are very complex. Much more complex than I want to get very involved with. So, I was glad to find a simple relay to deal with. I am happy to share what I found with those that want to try it. It also gave me a reason to learn a bit more about the forum and how to use the features of posting. Of course, that process took much more time and effort than figuring out the mod itself.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 PM

I just installed mine..just the tone i wanted. Thanks Corfire

Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 PM
Forum Regular

I just installed mine, I got the 273-060 buzzer, 5 minutes job without pulling the fuse, Perfect tone, however I would like a bigger volume (the problem is the buzzer located inside the closed fuse box, the volume would be perfect when I leave the fuse box open).

Questions: For those who put the buzzer outside the fuse box, which way did the wire go? I don't want to creat an opening and let water goes into the box, and I want to keep the buzzer dry. Can someone help? thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jackei
Questions: For those who put the buzzer outside the fuse box, which way did the wire go? I don't want to creat an opening and let water goes into the box, and I want to keep the buzzer dry. Can someone help? thanks
Look at Picture 3 as originally posted by corfire - you see where he has the buzzer mounted inside the fuse box? Well, right next to it there is a bit of a slit that matches up with the clip that secures the lid. I just laid the wires into that slit and, using a bit of 3M double sided tape, stuck the buzzer to the inner body panel adjacent to the fuse box. The lid still snapped into place as before the install.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
OK, I picked up one of these buzzers at Radio Shack today and just spent the last 20 minutes or so installing it. That time included gathering up everything I needed and putting everything away when I was done. I mounted the buzzer outside the fuse box with some double sided 3M tape, securing it to the adjacent body panel.

I really like how it isn't terribly loud and annoying, just enough to confirm that the doors are locked/unlocked. Once again a big THANK YOU to corfire for the how-to on this!
I did exactly the same install last night using the 60 series which has a 86dB beep.. This is perfect! No longer do I have to look back at the car to confirm the doors are locked.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:21 PM

Corfire:

Thanks so much for the "Keyless Entry Alert " info. I connected mine last weekend and it worked great. I too used the smaller unit and mounted it outside of the fuse panel and under the hood mounting shelf. If it gets wet and I have to replace it, perhaps I'll go to the lounder one. But for now it works just fine...a very mild single "beeeep" on UNLOCK and 3 tones on LOCK. I believe the unit cost me about $3.50. Not bad.

By the way, I also did this with the hood in the 90* position. For those who do not know, this can be done by pushing a button on the top of the hood suspension rod. Then press the button on the bottom of the rod to release it. It sure made a difference in getting to the fuse panel.

Thanks again,

Last edited by My04Inferno; 04-02-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:53 PM

So I did the quick buzzer upgrade and it works perfect but with one side effect, it automatically locks the doors after a few minutes, doesnt when they are open, just closed without hitting the lock button. I'll see if it does the same thing on the other Crossfire when I install it.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bleu Chocolate
So I did the quick buzzer upgrade and it works perfect but with one side effect, it automatically locks the doors after a few minutes, doesnt when they are open, just closed without hitting the lock button. I'll see if it does the same thing on the other Crossfire when I install it.
That's not because of the mod. If you unlock a locked Crossfire, but don't open the door, it locks again after a certain amount of time. However, if you open the door, it stays unlocked until you lock it even after you close the door. You probably just noticed that with all the lock/unlock testing after the mod. It was that way before!

Last edited by corfire; 04-02-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by corfire
That's not because of the mod. If you unlock a locked Crossfire, but don't open the door, it locks again after a certain amount of time. However, if you open the door, it stays unlocked until you lock it even after you close the door. You probably just noticed that with all the lock/unlock testing after the mod. It was that way before!
Thanks for the info, yet another cool thing I didn't know.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Sweet! I can't wait to get off work and run over to Radio Shack.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom2112
Sweet! I can't wait to get off work and run over to Radio Shack.
I suggest that you get the 273-060 buzzer that several forum members have used. I used the 273-059 and it is a bit hard to hear if you park on a street with traffic. The 060 is a little louder. Hope you enjoy the mod!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:41 PM
She can ride with me ;)

I bought the 273-060 after work today, but it was so nice out, I cruised until it got dark. Then it was too dark to install the buzzer! LOL. Tomorrow is another day.

Quick Reply: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?