TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Old 08-16-2010, 03:39 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Originally Posted by kittidatt
I need help fixing mine, the key wont turn at all and I dont know much about cars.
You dont need to know anything about cars to fix this problem. If you can read, follow instructions, and good with your hands then you should be able to fix it.

tI xiF oT elbA eB dluohS uoY nehT sdnaH ruoY htiW dooG dnA ,snoitcurtsnI wolloF ,daeR naC uoY fI .melborP sihT xiF oT sraC tuobA gnihtynA wonK oT deeN tnoD uoY

Last edited by rekcah; 09-19-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drhrsh
A lot has been written on this site about this problem. I was having the problem of the key not turning, and having to try 6 or more times turning the steering wheel, etc. until it finally worked. I also read about others who were finally unable to turn the key at all, requiring a tow to the dealer and a bill for $1500.00 or more to fix. I want to thank Crossbow 39 for his nice thread on how to do this. I am a visual guy and thought I would take pictures and post a thread to help others. I also learned a few tips which may help others.

1.) Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2.) Remove the fuse panel access door to the left of the steering wheel, in the door jam area.

3.) Remove the air vent above the headlight switch. It just pops out.

4.) Remove the lower trim panels. First remove the "U" shaped panel below the steering wheel (one screw). This gives you access to 2 hidden screws which need to be removed.

Thanks guys, took me about 5 hours but it worked like a charm My baby is running again

Old 09-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Forum Regular

great in will save for linky

Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well the dreaded ignition key lock up hit my xfire yesterday no turn at all the only problem i had was my drill bits where junk my son next door had a great set of bits no problem after that back on the road tonight the pdf file was a great help thanks

Old 10-01-2010, 08:16 PM

New to thread, though I have read it at least 20 times.
We bought a 2005 about 3 weeks ago and the ignition just started sticking. Checked with several dealers and the price ranges between 1200 and 1500. I should put it out there, right up front...I'm a chick and I have blonde hair (enough said). But, I LOVE to take stuff apart and I'm pretty good at it. So, I waited until my husband went to work and I got busy.
It has gone great, so far.
I have already removed the ignition , but I just can't get the large rear-mounted main elec harness off the assembly. I followed the instructions to rock and pull out, but it's not going anywhere. I do notice that there are 3 tabs in the assembly housing, but they're not cooperating either. I could sure use your expertise. Am I too wimpy or is there something else I need to know?
TIA..JoAnna

Old 10-01-2010, 08:22 PM

just have to pull a little more no tabs holding it mine unplugged very easey

Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Forum Regular

welcome to the forum

With the assembly in its original position, you will have to grab the black block harness and push towards the front of the car

Old 10-01-2010, 09:13 PM

Old Man..I spent a very "enjoyable" half hour doing just that. I guess I Am a wimp!
I'll have to have My Old Man give it a try...Thanks for your reply

Rekcah..You da man!! Thank you so, so much for your very detailed instructions. I would not have even thought of doing this myself, but you made it look very doable. Even if there's a flatbed in my immediate future,
I still want to express my gratitude for giving me the confidence to try!
I'll be back on the job at first light tomorrow!
Your #1 fan...JoAnna

Old 10-01-2010, 09:47 PM

whatta a girl to even attempt to do this fix

Old 10-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Well boys....Cancel the flatbed....I DID IT!

Can't really talk about it, yet. I'm practically psychotic from trying to fit the housing back in the steering column.
I have a few tips...I'll get back to you.

Thanks again

JoAnna

Old 10-07-2010, 04:24 PM

This happened to me and I'm glad I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the car 3 1/2 years ago. Dealer replaced the whole key assembly.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 AM

Help
I just purchased a 2006 crossfire coupe here in the UAE GCC spec.

Just had the 0 position scenario

Read this thread 100 times and tried the fix.
Got to the part where you drill the pin and the pin just spun with the drill bit ie cant drill it out.

Took it to the chrysler dealership here in the UAE and they said the tumblers and housing were bad.
I asked a lot of questions and got alot of funny looks.

I got the parts list for the chrysler here and the numbers dont match what you guys have put on this thread.

I went to the MBZ dealership and they had 2024600904 in stock for 135$ so i purchased it, dont have it yet but should by tomorrow.
The chrysler # 05098712aa

The exploded view of the housings looks different from the 2 pages i have?????
Chrysler wants 1000$$ for just the housing and they want me to buy new tumbler,key,ignition switch.

Can anyone tell me if the parts are different on Euro spec, or other than USA spec cars?????
Was there anything different about 2006?????

I am seriously stuck here

please if anyone has any insight shimmersky@gmail.com

Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 AM

Hi Everyone

This thread is great bar one thing......... my KEY is stuck completely, it wont turn to the first position. how do I remove the ignition now ??????.

I have striped the dash till there is wires and wires alone. there is a small silver locking pin that secures the ignition to the steering column. I have tried to manhandle this so that I can remove the ignition. when I say i have manhandled I`m not joking. a small chisel and hammer and it does not budge.

I need some help please my car can not sleep another night in the streets of Johannesburg outside my house (totally not safe). i cant turn the key, cant turn the Steering and cant get it out of Park (auto).

please assist i am at the end of my wits end. local dealer said R 1500 ($215)to tow and then i would need to replace both keys and the entire ignition. they need to order from the states and then get it coded and cut. could take up to 3 months... at a cost of R ($2142)

if some-one can assist me please post here and email me at atholcanadian@gmail.com. i would really appreciate any assistance

Athol

Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Forum Regular

uhm, read the whole pdf tutorial, the answer is there.

Link to post with picture tutorial of Sticky Ignition Fix
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post504963

Old 11-16-2010, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by drhrsh
A lot has been written on this site about this problem. I was having the problem of the key not turning, and having to try 6 or more times turning the steering wheel, etc. until it finally worked. I also read about others who were finally unable to turn the key at all, requiring a tow to the dealer and a bill for $1500.00 or more to fix. I want to thank Crossbow 39 for his nice thread on how to do this. I am a visual guy and thought I would take pictures and post a thread to help others. I also learned a few tips which may help others.

1.) Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2.) Remove the fuse panel access door to the left of the steering wheel, in the door jam area.

3.) Remove the air vent above the headlight switch. It just pops out.

4.) Remove the lower trim panels. First remove the "U" shaped panel below the steering wheel (one screw). This gives you access to 2 hidden screws which need to be removed.

hi PLEASE HELP if you guys can

i have got the ignition out the vehicle !!!!!! 4 drill bits and a billion little cuts on the hands later.

the problem comes in with the key still does not turn to position 1 for me to remove the assemble. ive tried everything i can think of but to no avail. im lost and desperate and would appreciate any positive comments.

Reliableron - thanks for the help and the smack on the hand. i have read the post by rekcah a few times now and as much as it was a truly brilliant post, it seams as if my problem is now 1 step more involved.

anyone have ideas ? and before the obvious comments come out the nearest locksmith is about 25 miles from me, so take it to a locksmith is not an option as the XF is my only mode of transport.

id welcome any help

Athol

Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Forum Regular

It sounds like you got the ignition assembly out, but still trying to get the key to turn to remove the tumbler.

1. Try messing with the **** thing on the far end. Turn it and push it with the key in and the key out.
2. Open the hatch and take out the spring and pin.

Other than that, I dont know. I had to drill mines as well, but when I removed the assembly from the car the key turned with no problem.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:17 AM

you need to take the cover off the side witch is staked in an then remove spring an metal plunger then the key will turn then put the side cover back an you are done reinstall the assy.

Last edited by old man; 11-16-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Thanks, I'll pass this along to my service guys. Appreciate it!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:21 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the probablity that this is going to happen? OR to at least delay the inevitable? Some lubricant of some type that will reduce the wear?

Old 11-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PNA
Is there anything that can be done to reduce the probablity that this is going to happen? OR to at least delay the inevitable? Some lubricant of some type that will reduce the wear?
NO, but taking out the pin and spring will stop the problem.

Quick Reply: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006