TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

Old 07-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006

You are, sadly, right; I am not obsessed enough with my xfire ...

Still recovering from my last motorized obsession. A 1985 Jaguar XJS that I got to drive whenever I managed to "fix" it long enough to take it around the block

Loved that misearable heap of British engineering ... and, sadly, I am still not over it ...

I guess the xfire will just have to bear the brunt of my hurt feelings from that experience and reside in a hot garage

Old 07-18-2010, 09:35 AM

Here is a possible solution to the ignition assembly that is difficult to reinstall. Yesterday when I was working the temperature was around 100 degrees. I thought that the parts might have expanded. I took the ignition and put it in the fridge over night. Took it out this morning and it slid right in with very little trouble.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:54 PM

Now that is what I call a "cool" fix (yeah I know, it's kind of corny, but I just couldn't resist).

By the way, heat definitely influences when the problem gets worse. In my case, the car sat at 112F for eight hours after I parked it. It took me 20 minutes to finally get the key to turn. When it sits overnight in my garage, turning the ignition key gets "notchy" but I can usually turn it after one or two tries.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:59 PM

Rob,

You have to take that pin out. Turning that ignition is down right oragasmic.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:06 PM

"orgasmic" ...?

Talk to you later after I get out of the garage ....

Old 07-23-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Reliableron
Hi cirquedaddy - I would make sure that what is left of the drilled pin isn't binding but not sure if that would make a difference. Could you turn the key when it was out of the car - you should be able to.
It doesn't seem to be a common problem but a couple pages back Mophreakous had the same problem - not sure if he figured it out or not.
I still have the new one I bought in a box just in case but the old one is still working great after almost a year.
Keep at it!
Im still having a hell of a time. Luckily I have another car.

Im trying to get this fixed this weekend but here is where I am. I have the assy out of the car. I removed the plate on the assy took out the pin and the spring but still cant turn the key. I bought a new assy but now I can not get my old tumblers out to put them in the new one. Im pretty fustrated.

In a post in the middle of the thread someone used a hacksaw to cut the old assy to get to the tumblers. However im not sure if I have to replace the tumbers? Do I have to get re-keyed?

Need help here. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:27 AM

you will get a non transmitting key with your tumblers and you have to order by vin #. it costs about $225 for the parts alone and you have to go through chrysler. It did not solve my sticky key problem. I had to replace the steering lock and that solved the problem. If you order the lock for a 03 or 04 170 slk from Mercedes, it will be about $100 cheaper than ordering a xfire part from chysler. That part was $160. There is a special tool for removing the lock tumblers and the smaller key that comes with the tumblers must be used in conjunction. don't use anything else.

Last edited by brookings; 07-24-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by brookings
you will get a non transmitting key with your tumblers and you have to order by vin #. it costs about $225 for the parts alone and you have to go through chrysler. It did not solve my sticky key problem. I had to replace the steering lock and that solved the problem. If you order the lock for a 03 or 04 170 slk from Mercedes, it will be about $100 cheaper than ordering a xfire part from chysler. That part was $160. There is a special tool for removing the lock tumblers and the smaller key that comes with the tumblers must be used in conjunction. don't use anything else.
Thanks very much Brookings.

I should say that I am in the "cant turn out of 0" situation. So getting the tumblers out is almost impossible at this point. Does that change your advice?

Also what is the part number for the Benz lock?

Old 07-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by cirquedaddy
Thanks very much Brookings.

I should say that I am in the "cant turn out of 0" situation. So getting the tumblers out is almost impossible at this point. Does that change your advice?

Also what is the part number for the Benz lock?
Provided by TexasT

Lock cylinder key housing
MB # 2024600904
Chr # 68001655aa

From the Crossfire master parts list.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:45 AM

Ok guys got it fixed. I hope to impart some wisdom I learned in the fixing process. I had the "No Turn out of 0 position problem."

I think that most people with this problem are going to have to get the new assembly. The part numbers provided by OneHundred in the post above me are correct. Use those. I got the part from my local benz dealer for $150.00.

Here was the trick to getting the tumblers out of the old assembly. On the long end of the assy, (the part that goes into the steering column) is a tab that protrudes out of the end of the assy. That slot shaped tab is the steering lock. With the "No Turn" problem this tab completely fails. When I pulled the assy out of the car the tab was protruding out of the end of the assy. That tab needs to completely contract into the assy. It needs to be completely inside of the assy! In a fuctioning assy when you turn your key the tab retracts and twists clockwize towards the driver allowing you to start your car. When this mechanism completely fails the tab will not retract or turn. So here are my step by step instructions to getting the tumblers out of a Stuck in 0 car.

1) Remove the Dash panels. (You can see these instructions in the PDF that is posted a page back in this thread)
2) Drill out the steering column locking pin. (See PDF)
3) Remove Assy (See PDF)
4) Remove the spring and part from the Trap door (See PDF)

5) Once you have the assy out of the car you need to make sure that tab is competely retracted. I pressed it against my shop floor using body weight and then used a flat head screw driver and hammer to make sure it was seated completely inside the Assy housing.

6)Now insert the key into the tumblers. You will most likely need a friends help for this. Have your friend use a pair of needle nose pliers and grasp the end of the tab. While you turn the key your friend will turn the tab clockwize towards you. Your key will move into the first position when the tab turns fully into place.

7) Take out tumblers (See PDF)
8) put them in new assy (See PDF)
9) Put it all back in the Xfire (See PDF)

I want to thank everyone on this forum and thread for help. IM BACK ON THE ROAD BABY!!!!!!

Last edited by cirquedaddy; 07-31-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:59 PM

i`m new in this forum how do i get the pictures for this issue??

Old 08-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Metin
i`m new in this forum how do i get the pictures for this issue??

read the whole thread. read the whole thread. read the whole thread. read the whole thread. read the whole thread. read the whole thread. read the whole thread.

kcuF, kcuF, kcuF, kcuF,

Link to post with picture tutorial of Sticky Ignition Fix
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post504963

Last edited by rekcah; 08-10-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:10 PM

please send me the pdf files. i need them today if possible i have to drive to the office tomorrow.
thanks. email: metin.altay1@gmail.com

Old 08-08-2010, 07:15 PM

thanks. i did find it.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by rekcah
read the whole thread. read the whole thread. read the whole thread. read the whole thread. read the whole thread. read the whole thread. read the whole thread.

kcuF, kcuF, kcuF, kcuF,
are you wound up that tight that you need to resort to reverse spelling profanities? Take a serious chill pill!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by typhoon55
are you wound up that tight that you need to resort to reverse spelling profanities? Take a serious chill pill!
my repair shop tells me he cant drill out the pin. he wants me to order new tumblers. what can i do?? any other way to get out the tumbler in a 0 key turn ?

Old 08-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my repair shop tells me he cant drill out the pin. he wants me to order new tumblers. what can i do?? any other way to get out the tumbler in a 0 key turn ?
I think you could drill the tumbler like a locksmith would do, but then you would have to order new tumblers that match your key from the dealership and the dealership will probably charge you $1,000,000 for the tumbler itself. You have to drill out the pin to remove the ignition assembly. ordering new tumblers only is the most expensive way to go.

Just do it yourself; the fastest and cheapest way to get it done. If you can use a drill and screwdriver, then you can do it.

@typhoon55
ginkroW t'nerA slliP llihC

Link to post with picture tutorial of Sticky Ignition Fix
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post504963

Last edited by rekcah; 08-10-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:43 PM

There's a difference between "can't" and "won't". I would recommend reading through this thread comprehensively and try doing it yourself. That's what I, and many others did. It's a crappy situation, no doubt.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM

[quote=rekcah]I think you could drill the tumbler like a locksmith would do, but then you would have to order new tumblers that match your key from the dealership and the dealership will probably charge you $1,000,000 for the tumbler itself. You have to drill out the pin to remove the ignition assembly. ordering new tumblers only is the most expensive way to go.

Just do it yourself; the fastest and cheapest way to get it done. If you can use a drill and screwdriver, then you can do it.

@typhoon55
ginkroW t'nerA slliP llihC

@rekcah
!!si romuh fo esnes ruoy tsael ta
niap ruoy leef od I

Old 08-15-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by g-man
The Hammer! But I saved 1000.00

anyone need info hit me up, the dealer is crazy

I also saved my tumbler
I need help fixing mine, the key wont turn at all and I dont know much about cars.

Quick Reply: Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006