TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

AT Tranny stuck in gear

Old 04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: AT Tranny stuck in gear

Then again maybe you MIGHT have to get the codes reset.
From MB forum

Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Photo DIY- 722.6 Conductor Plate and Regulator Valve Spring R/R

PLEASE keep us posted!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My transmission has been getting stuck too. it happned to me 3 times in the past week. I turn off car and start it up and WALA its fixed.

Somethings not right. :-/

i hope we can coordinate and get some answers here

Old 11-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertFattal
My transmission has been getting stuck too. it happned to me 3 times in the past week. I turn off car and start it up and WALA its fixed.

Somethings not right. :-/

i hope we can coordinate and get some answers here
I'd start by having the fluid level checked or changed depending on the mileage. Low fluid level is #1 cause of transmission problems with these cars usually from the electrical connector plug leaking.

Last edited by robby363; 11-01-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robby363
I'd start by having the fluid level checked or changed depending on the mileage. Low fluid level is #1 cause of transmission problems with these cars usually from the electrical connector plug leaking.
I've got 45k miles - im sure the previous owner has never did a major service on the car

Old 11-02-2010, 07:49 AM

I've got 45k miles - im sure the previous owner has never did a major service on the car
My buddy who is a MB mechanic replaced the electric plate in my tranny and i was ready to go. I believe the actual problem is the input/output speed sensor that go on the plate but you can't just buy this you have to buy the whole plate I got mine at cost for $300. I had posted that the car was still stuck in limp home mode after replacing the electric plate, but I borught the car into the local Chrysler dealer and they hooked it up to their Star machine and removed the codes and everything was fine, I don't think the cheap OBD scanner I had was able to remove that code.

I had it fixed not long after the original post and I haven't had any problems since.

Last edited by Xfire04/82; 11-02-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Forum Regular

Sweet, thanks! Mine also had the "P0715" turbine sensor code

is it safe to say i should first replace ATF and proceed after that or go all out and get the module replaced + ATF changed?

is the board a DIY or does it require a mechanic?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Sweet, thanks! Mine also had the "P0715" turbine sensor code

is it safe to say i should first replace ATF and proceed after that or go all out and get the module replaced + ATF changed?

is the board a DIY or does it require a mechanic?

I did not replace the TCM, i replaced the electric plate (i could be wrong but i believe these are diferent parts). If you replace the electric plate you will have to change the ATF anyways so I wouldnt recomend wasting money on ATF without doing the electric plate, I did this and it was just a waste of my money.

Well if your mechanically the electric plate is all that hard to replace, but the codes will need to removed by the dealer.

Last edited by Xfire04/82; 11-08-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Forum Regular

FYI, for those who stumble across this topic in the future:

It was infact my trasmision control computer unit that was bad, which placed the entire car in limp mode - same exact problem as the others have metnioned. I went to a reputible indipendant merecedes mechanic and he changed the board (200 bux) plus transmission flush change, and labor for $555

Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

FYI, for those who stumble across this topic in the future:

It was infact my trasmision control computer unit that was bad, which placed the entire car in limp mode - same exact problem as the others have metnioned. I went to a reputible indipendant merecedes mechanic and he changed the board (200 bux) plus transmission flush change, and labor for $555
You ARE talking about the Connector Plate ($200 or so) that is located IN the transmission and NOT the Transmission Control Module ($1200 or so) when you say "transmission control unit" aren't you?

Just want to make it clear for those that view this.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tighed1
You ARE talking about the Connector Plate ($200 or so) that is located IN the transmission and NOT the Transmission Control Module ($1200 or so) when you say "transmission control unit" aren't you?

Just want to make it clear for those that view this.
Correct, to clarify, I am in fact referring to the piece INSIDE the transmission, that piece that is around $200.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:40 PM

I bought my Chrysler Crossfire with 65k. So firstly I went to service to change oils and filters. So I change the oil in transmission (MB 236.14). So the stick more oil in my transmission! And once oil expelled on exhaust system. And behind me I saw a smog. So I came to another service and they take out some more oil from transmission. Cleaned mistake (they told me that there was slipping of transmission without saying the number of mistake),changed transmission connector. After some time I have again the same problem. It stuck in gear so I turned the car off restart and everything was fine again.
What can it be? May be it is better to go to service and change oil and filter one more time after the oil expelled on exhaust system? To what can lead to much fluid in transmission? I was driving like this for 3 weeks approximately.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BadBoy007
I bought my Chrysler Crossfire with 65k. So firstly I went to service to change oils and filters. So I change the oil in transmission (MB 236.14). So the stick more oil in my transmission! And once oil expelled on exhaust system. And behind me I saw a smog. So I came to another service and they take out some more oil from transmission. Cleaned mistake (they told me that there was slipping of transmission without saying the number of mistake),changed transmission connector. After some time I have again the same problem. It stuck in gear so I turned the car off restart and everything was fine again.
What can it be? May be it is better to go to service and change oil and filter one more time after the oil expelled on exhaust system? To what can lead to much fluid in transmission? I was driving like this for 3 weeks approximately.
Perhaps it's a good idea to get your mindset at accepting a $400 transmission control unit computer board replacement. That's what fixed my car's stuck in gear problem. It went into "safe mode home" where it would stay in second gear and run real rich (i think its rich or lean, i forget which version it is) so i got very bad gas milage.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same problem on my 04 Limited. While I was training in California my wife took it to the local Chrysler dealer in Hawaii. The tranny guy there tore the tranny apart looking for any issues. He didn't find anything wrong with it and put the whole thing back together. On the ride home same thing happen. Took it back and the dealership couldn't figure it out. He did notice that anytime the car had been serviced the fuel filter had never been replaced. So he replaced the fuel filter and it has never happen again. I got all the same codes you guys did. I think there is a little troll in our cars and he decides what goes wrong and when. All in all I only paid about 350 for all the work on my car. The Parts manager at the dealer did have a SRT-6 coupe. Maybe I got lucky with some labor charges...

Old 03-01-2011, 12:09 PM

The thing is that I have changed : all filters and all oils including fuel filter. I hate this service!I wanted to see my car in good condition!But because of this service and to match oil in transmision I have this problem.I see that I have some electrical problem! Because when I try to use it manualy whan the car stay there is no need to pull my transmission to + it goes very fast even if I will pur I finger on it 1,2,3,4,5 and again D!Very very fast!

Old 03-01-2011, 12:42 PM

May be you know how it look like and is it possible to buy on ebay?What is the part number of this transmission control unit?Can I drive like this if I will not have limp home mode before I will buy it?Can it lead to more serious damage?

Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBoy007
May be you know how it look like and is it possible to buy on ebay?What is the part number of this transmission control unit?Can I drive like this if I will not have limp home mode before I will buy it?Can it lead to more serious damage?
I have no idea what's wrong with your car, so I can't really tell you if it is going to cause more damage.

You need to have someone DIFFERENT work on your car.
Paying someone multiple times to screw up your transmission fluid level isn't doing anything positive to your car's longevity.

BC.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Old 03-06-2011, 06:19 PM

05 owner; had car detailed. came out car in 1st gear will not go to automatic. won't go to 2nd or shifter will not move to Reverese only neautral. I have to turn car off to put it in park. Also noticed display on dash instead of 1 or a D the display is a dark square.
#7 fuse replaced problem persists. Should I manualy reset the brain by disconnecting battery? Want to try everything at home before i take it to dealer and they charge $100 just for diagnostics.
Or should i just pour some tequila in the tranny?

HELP!
Gitano

Old 03-19-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Gears are controlled by the TCM. The "electric plate" is nothing more than electrical wire runs and changing it or the TCM does not require adaptation. (does include the speed sensor also)

Been there done that.
Mine is stuck in 1st. I saw a post elswhere with the exact same problem as mine. I also need to mention that instead of displaying a 1 it displays a black box. The other post said the problem was a loose cable connection behind thedash that goes to the TCM. Have you heard of this? Error code is P0705
Car out of warranty and the Brake light switch was replaced so far and $1500 from my wallet. Ouch!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by Flamenco2005
05 owner; had car detailed. came out car in 1st gear will not go to automatic. won't go to 2nd or shifter will not move to Reverese only neautral. I have to turn car off to put it in park. Also noticed display on dash instead of 1 or a D the display is a dark square.
#7 fuse replaced problem persists. Should I manualy reset the brain by disconnecting battery? Want to try everything at home before i take it to dealer and they charge $100 just for diagnostics.
Or should i just pour some tequila in the tranny?

HELP!
Gitano
sniff, sniff sniff....do I smell a troll??

Whats with the name change from an earlier post today:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post574859

Quick Reply: AT Tranny stuck in gear