Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Front wheels shake

Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front wheels shake

I started to get a steering wheel shake and thought the tires were out of balance so I went and got them both balanced and the shake was still there. I took them off again and took them to a performance shop and asked to balance them again to to check if the tires were out of shape, everything was fine. Now really annoyed I went to a local mechanic who said to jack the front of the car up and see if I can shake the tires and see if they move. Well I jacked up the car and did this to see that the rims shake. It also sounds like something in there is lose. Anyone have any ideas if I should replace anything or tighten something.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Front wheels shake

Id check the tightness of all the bolts and swaybar. Id also swap tires side to side to see if it alters the condition.

Could you have hit something that started this? What are the wheel bearings like?

Shake the wheels side to side and then top to bottom while ON THE GROUND. Is there any info to be gained from this shake test?? Let us know, Woody

Old 05-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Front wheels shake

Woody I ran out and tried to shake test. The drive side shake from top to bottom when I pushed on the top I heard some kind of click noise. I tried the passanger side and nothing. Side to side both sides did nothing. I just got the car detailed yesterday and its been raining all day so I will switch the tires tomorrow if it dries up and see if that changes anything. Also yesterday I checked the steering stabilzer and its fine.

To dark to check the bolts now but the bearings sound fine not sure how they look.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Front wheels shake

SIde to side says that the bearings are not the issue, top to bottom says the click could be a ball joint and a good place to consider a better search.

You can lift the weight off the wheel and try lifting the wheel with a long 2x4 to see how much play you may have. Swapping the wheels can also be a lo to no cost diagnostic test.

You have some ideas to follow up, good luck to you, Woody.

Do a search on the google as see how to check ball joints for more info.