Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

New Wheels, strange noise no one can figure out

Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheels, strange noise no one can figure out

Well, I finally got my new wheels put on yesterday I attached some pics , hopefully you can see them... Here is what I put on:

RPM R505 wheels Polished aluminum

Fronts: 18 X 8 38 Offset
Rears : 19 X 8.5 38 Offset

12mm wheel spacer used on rears..

HanKook Evo's all around

245 X 35 X 19

225 X 40 X 18

Well, I took it to My local Tire Kingdom to have them put on and balanced and alignment..
1st small problem.. the front wheels when they go to tighten the nuts down the last couple turns.. pops out the center cap..well. its only off by a few mm's.. crap.. but the wheel bearing dust cover is popping it out.. so first I thought maybe I can hammer down a few dings in that dust cover to free the space but looks like that is not possible cause the dustcover seems to be an exact fit.. no free space.. so I guess nothing I can do about that exept put a 5mm spacer on the front so I can get the center caps on.. so

first question,.. do I need new lugs with a 5mm spacer.. or will the standard ones I bought work.. ?

now the next problem is really strange.. after all togeahter the mechanic took for a ride... and came to me and said there was a strange noise coming from the rear.. so I went with a ride with him.. really loud click , clack... rotating noise.. the faster we went the faster the noise.. definately from the rear tires .. so back up on the rack it went.. he looked it all over.. cant find anywhere its rubbing.. mountains of room back there I didint even need the spacers if I didnt want to but we put them on to bring the tires out where they should be.. but he was scratching his head.. thought even might of been the brake disk dust cover.. and was playing with that .. but nothing.. cant see anywhere where there would be a rubbing problem.. what I did notice is that the click clack could be heard slightly off load up on the rack and really loud when loaded on the road driving.. click, clack , click , clack.. well I had 2 mechanics look at it and ???? so I left it there over night and they said to come back in the am and they will put the old wheels back on and see if it still makes the noise..

The next day I went back down.. 4 different mechanics talked to me each one took the car for a ride . same thing.. put it up on the rack pulled the wheels off put back on .. scratch heads.. then the 4th time.. he said he was driving it and it stopped .. no more sound.. and they drove it all around --nothing.. sounds gone.. so I tool it for a long drive and nothing smooth and clean.. ???? so I took her home.. they have no explanation.. ghosts, spirits..?? so I drove it all around ran many errans about 25 miles and ran great.. no noise.. then tonight I was driiving tot he movies and guess what click clack.. BUT was very subtile.. sound was not too loud and it did it for only about 45 seconds and went away.. didnt hear it again.. I dont know what to think.. Be honest I am a little nervous about it cause I dont want to mess anything up.. but its not like I can take it to a garge and have them look at it cause they will take it around the block and come back and say cars fine.. I thought maybe it had something to do with the spacers.. but they said no way at 81 ft -lbs there not moving.. which is 3rd question. is that right 81 ft-lbs per wheel torque.. hwe told me dont just tighten to were it feels right 81 ft lbs,..

any comments would be greatly appreciated.. Im stumped.. thanks so much Bruce

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 002.jpg (156.7 KB, 39 views)
Picture 004.jpg (204.3 KB, 33 views)
Picture 005.jpg (190.6 KB, 37 views)
Picture 007.jpg (182.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-24-2014, 06:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New Wheels , strange noise no one can figure out

sounds to me like the wheel lugs (bolts) are fouling the handbrake mechanism, presume you used new bolts with new wheels, measure how far they protoud the back of the wheel and then measure the factory bolts on the factory wheels should be the same making allowance for spacers of course....

Old 04-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: New Wheels , strange noise no one can figure out

^^^^^ What he said

Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Default Re: New Wheels, strange noise no one can figure out

when I put the foose wheels on my SRT, i had a strange noise as well, pull the rear rotors off and check your parking brake springs, thats what popped off of mine because my factory lug studs were too long

Old 04-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah what they said,^^^^^ the longer rear bolts touching something in the parking brake mechanism

Old 05-01-2014, 11:21 AM

My dealer that supplied the new wheels noticed that the wheels with the proper sizes for the Crossfire were now available and ordered two new rear wheels. He seemed to be satisfied that only the rear wheels were causing the noise.

They replaced the wheels yesterday and I am very pleased with the results. No tick--tick noise! There seems to be less road noise from the new wheels as well. I had no time to inspect the removed wheels to see if there were rub marks etc. on them but will do it today.

I hope this will help others that might have this same elusive problem.

Jim