Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Car wandering on motorway

Old 12-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car wandering on motorway

Tire pressure was extremely important on bias tires. Not so important with today's radial belts unless the sidewalls are extremely stiff.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn
unless the sidewalls are extremely stiff.
Like a run flat.
Why they call them run flats is the stiffer sidewalls.
I like the stiffer tires on the front, and a softer on the rear on the XFire.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn
Tire pressure was extremely important on bias tires. Not so important with today's radial belts unless the sidewalls are extremely stiff.

I beg to differ, Sir. In order to extract the best performance from these max performance low profile tires, the correct pressure is very important. Unless you want to buy a new set every few K miles. My tires list a max of 50lbs. so I have been running them at 48 for three years now and they don't show any adverse signs of wear.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the other replies. I use the recommended pressure on the tire's sidewall. The recommended pressure thats stated on the door were for the car's original tires. Tire pressure recommendations differs for each manufacturer.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:03 PM

Sorry, I think that is rubbish. The car manufacturer determines the recommended pressure , not the tyre manufacturer. The only exception maybe a tyre specifically designed & manufactured for a specific vehicle ?
A tyre of a particular size and rating Is often suitable for many different cars but the recommended pressure could be different for each vehicle type, mainly relative to axle weight and determined by the vehicle manufacturer.
The only pressure rating on my tyres (on all my cars) is a max pressure e.g. 44 psi on my Crossfire rear tyres, no minimum or range. The other spec is maximum weight.
Although not specified in the Crossfire owners handbook , the tyre pressures for my 2 other cars in their handbooks has recommended pressures for different tyre sizes, not tyre manufacturers.
Mick

Old 12-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD

I beg to differ, Sir. In order to extract the best performance from these max performance low profile tires, the correct pressure is very important. Unless you want to buy a new set every few K miles. My tires list a max of 50lbs. so I have been running them at 48 for three years now and they don't show any adverse signs of wear.
I made a general statement and I am sticking with it.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because of the its short wheelbase and wider tires, our cars have a tendacy to wander while crusing on the highway. Ive noticed the effect also varies more on hardtop surfaces than ashphalt surfaces. My Crossie has surer footing on asphalt surfaces. She has 62K miles on her and the stabilizer still looks new. I may change her out when I buy her a new set of shoes.

But to address the "tire pressure controversy" here is some advice from the Tire Rack

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=8

Old 12-04-2014, 12:40 PM

That link is great, explains clearly how/why tyre pressures are determined by a car manufacturer and exactly my thoughts.
Your honour, I rest my case !

Mick

Old 12-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

check the door for proper pressure on tires. My fronts are at 32 and rears are 33psi.

If you have a retractable fin, when it is extended it will catch light gusts of wind and push a little crossie around. On a calm day, steady as can be!

That's been my experience.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While our surfaces are smooth, our lanes are very deeply rutted in many areas of the asphalt jungle around Seattle. My Tyer pressures are what they are, and my ride is smooth and with the least amount of trammeling I have experienced in this car. ( or any sports car for that matter)

I think the most recent diagnosis has been overrridden in pressure talks, and should be revisited. If your Tyers are good ( and Your good with your pressures) then it's possible that your steering wheel / column is in need of tightening. I have read that here before. Also the bushings might just be worn and cracked creating slop in the ball joints.

Look up the steeering wheel tightening procedure first, as it is cheaper than the damper.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Oconnom
Sorry, I think that is rubbish. The car manufacturer determines the recommended pressure , not the tyre manufacturer. The only exception maybe a tyre specifically designed & manufactured for a specific vehicle ?
A tyre of a particular size and rating Is often suitable for many different cars but the recommended pressure could be different for each vehicle type, mainly relative to axle weight and determined by the vehicle manufacturer.
The only pressure rating on my tyres (on all my cars) is a max pressure e.g. 44 psi on my Crossfire rear tyres, no minimum or range. The other spec is maximum weight.
Although not specified in the Crossfire owners handbook , the tyre pressures for my 2 other cars in their handbooks has recommended pressures for different tyre sizes, not tyre manufacturers.
Mick
I don't know about across the pond, but you are wrong. Tire manufacturer is where you get your correct pressure. The car manufacturer doesn't even warrant the tire, they will tell you to go to the tire store. Always run what the tire states, or suffer. There are numerous things that can make your car pull one way or another. Bushings, brake grabbing or hanging, tire out of round, bent rim, wheel bearing and I can go on and on....but tire pressure isn't a CAR manufacturer recommendation. I can tell you that from being a crash scene investigator, and working in transportation my whole life....

Old 12-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I don't know about across the pond, but you are wrong. Tire manufacturer is where you get your correct pressure. The car manufacturer doesn't even warrant the tire, they will tell you to go to the tire store. Always run what the tire states, or suffer. There are numerous things that can make your car pull one way or another. Bushings, brake grabbing or hanging, tire out of round, bent rim, wheel bearing and I can go on and on....but tire pressure isn't a CAR manufacturer recommendation. I can tell you that from being a crash scene investigator, and working in transportation my whole life....
I must step in here before this incorrect information leads to a accident and leads to an investigation by an accident investigator. I am assuming Tire Rack knows more on this subject than most and would not post info that would lead to mass lawsuits against them.
Read this and review the above information, I think you'll find that what we have all done up till now is correct. Use the car makers recommended tire pressure, this applies to all cars not just the Crossfire.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Dave's ALIVE !!!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hummm mixes reviews both ways.
Car manufacturer tire pressure to make it easier on factory crap shocks, or tire manufacturer pressure for best performance and
("<{[《 longevity 》]}>")
Of the $$$$$ tires.

How about a show of hands, when needing new tires, how many people research and spend lots of time going over hundreds of tires to find what they want for there car, and what they think would be the best tire for there car and there driving style.
And how many ppl wait to get tires when someone tells them they need tires and they go to a tire shop and grab the cheapest tires they can find or tires that they think look pretty????

I have a ? Does anyone remember there stock tires? And how much pressure that tire was reccomended for?

Old 12-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Hummm mixes reviews both ways.
Car manufacturer tire pressure to make it easier on factory crap shocks, or tire manufacturer pressure for best performance and
("<{[《 longevity 》]}>")
Of the $$$$$ tires.

How about a show of hands, when needing new tires, how many people research and spend lots of time going over hundreds of tires to find what they want for there car, and what they think would be the best tire for there car and there driving style.
And how many ppl wait to get tires when someone tells them they need tires and they go to a tire shop and grab the cheapest tires they can find or tires that they think look pretty????

I have a ? Does anyone remember there stock tires? And how much pressure that tire was reccomended for?
There is no mixed review, just the right way and the wrong way. The tire manufacturers max pressure is NOT the best performance pressure, that pressure is the max pressure allowable under a very few certain circumstances, oledoc2u is wrong, eventually someone will be dead if people insist on driving their Crossfire with the max tire pressure stated on the tires.

As I said before read this and understand it. What is so hard to comprehend? There will be a test tomorrow.

When it comes to tire selection I went by the recommendations I got from this forum, it worked for me, I got Hancooks. These cars have become cheap and are often owned by people with limited budgets so they will often be fitted with the cheapest tires possible, minimally maintained, modded badly and replaced with a Honda when they can afford one. I think in the next five years half of the Crossfires will be in scrap yards, which is good as that means more and cheaper spares hopefully.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

He's back! And correct.. I was keeping my dog out of this one.. but do note it says MAX.. not "recommended" as they have no clue what car (weight) it is going on. Chrysler put the sticker there for a reason.. and the numbers weren't drawn out of a hat..

Old 12-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Good ole' Dave to the rescue. If you run stock tires, you can go by the manufacturers recommendation. Just about every one on here that has done any modifying to their cars have changed the size of their tires. The old adage to go by the manufacturers recommendation have lead to more accidents of low pressure tires failing. No one, except those like on here who spend a lot of time caring for their cars will have this problem. But the general public rarely check their tire pressure. Running stock pressures only allows the tire to lose air over time resulting in low pressure tires, creating heat and wear, and failed side walls. By running close to maximum pressure, especially in a light sports cars, you increase handling but sacrifice ride. You will also increase wear and will prevent side wall failures. Anyone who has done any performance driving knows this. Any one who have spent time around a tire shop knows this. Manufacturers cover their asses by their general recommendations and make the Tire Racks of the world more money. Keep stock tires, motor around like a 73 year old man, and check you manufacturers recommended pressure every few weeks and life will be good. But if you want your car to perform and handle well, you need to increase the pressure close to the maximum. Tire failures lead to many accidents, and it can be prevented....but not with Dave's recommendations...Do some more reading Dave....I have had it with your ****.....
Oledoc has run these tires at higher speeds than most on here for over 4 yrs and have had zero failures. We ran all of our cruisers at near maximum for years with better tire performance and wear. You boys run your tires the way you want, but do a little research before you call me a liar again... I have seen a lot of failed tires because of low air pressure...or just poor care in general.... You have a lot more leeway when running more pressure, but you still have to check pressure from time to time...to keep them up to par.... Now if you want to go back to 75's, 60's and even 50's series tires...run 32 all you want and ride around on sponges, but once you enter the 35, 30 or God forbid 25 or lower, you better fill them or pay the price....

Last edited by oledoc2u; 12-05-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:14 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm just going to say this.. then I'm out. When I bought my 04 the previous owner thought 40 psi was where they should be "cause it's on the tire".. There was probably 3/32 more wear in the middle of the tires than the sides by the time to replace them. Tire wear speaks volumes. I run them at 34-35 and tire wear is pretty uniform. And I don't feel every twig I run over.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 465 Likes on 325 Posts

Guys
I have great respect for your knowledge but ......

Guys, please keep your personal conflicts with each other in the PM's
I welcome both of you to contribute input here but not with the criticism please

Thank You, Gary

Last edited by Valk; 12-07-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

All the tire mfg. suggest using the vehicle mfg suggested tire pressures for the OEM tires that originally come on the car. Of coarse the pressures will deviate some when installing "+" size tires. Here's a tool to view the manufacturer recommended inflations for standard sized tires on your vehicle.

Tire Pressure | Firestone Complete Auto Care

Quick Reply: Car wandering on motorway