Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

TPMS 101, The Basics.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: TPMS 101, The Basics.

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Theoretically any sensor of the proper frequency of the receiver will work. If it were my car I would find out the frequency of the current sensors then buy the Schrader in the same frequency (if they fit) and have someone with a DRBIII tool train the cars computer. (Known to work)

So you could get the Merc. Sensors of the same freq as you have now then have the Chrysler dealer train you car to them. With full refund rights if it doesn't work. (Your experiment)

The R170 does not have TPMS.

Not sure where the "theory" came from. My "freebies" were 415MHZ as required.. and as the Chrysler tech put it.. they are speaking Japanese and the car wants German.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Not sure where the "theory" came from. My "freebies" were 415MHZ as required.. and as the Chrysler tech put it.. they are speaking Japanese and the car wants German.
From OP and this chart. Data is data is data. 415 is out of band. AND let me clarify the proper protocol used to send the ID. Per the chart these manufactures claim to make Crossfire sensors so protocol should be fine. Not all of these have been reported to actually work on the Crossfire.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 08-14-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:32 PM

LOL.. first cup of coffee.. 433mhz.. "proper data" is required I do believe or it would be 1 size fits all"

Old 04-14-2015, 01:29 PM

It is literally that simple!

Old 04-14-2015, 01:37 PM

Did I miss something or are you trying to say anything broadcasting on the proper frequency is going to be compatible? If so please tell my freebies they need to work.. LOL

Old 04-14-2015, 02:18 PM

Did I miss something or are you trying to say anything broadcasting on the proper frequency is going to be compatible? If so please tell my freebies they need to work.. LOL
You will need a tech smarter than the TPMS system. We need more information on the freebie.

1) what frequency is it on?
2) does it have a fresh battery?
3) does it even work properly?
4) is this freebie designed for automotive applications? Meaning it's not an aftermarket set up for a boat trailer.

We will need to know this about the car... What frequency is the cars receiver on?

For starters....

Old 04-14-2015, 02:42 PM

LOL.. you were there when they programmed yours.. Did it really look like rocket science? "We've got a new line for the Chrysler Crossfire" I'm going with a guess the batteries were new.. I informed them 433mhz. Chrysler confirmed they were 433mhz but could not get communication.. as I said.. "speaking Japanese"..

Best guess when triggered the ID was not sent in a format "our" computers would understand.. Data is Data is Data.. so make a Windows computer read Mac language.. get the drift?

Last edited by Mrmiata; 04-14-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:39 PM

Best guess when triggered the ID was not sent in a format "our" computers would understand.. Data is Data is Data.. so make a Windows computer read Mac language.. get the drift?
My windows machines talk fine to my iOS devices, you gotta be smarter than the box.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:45 PM

My windows machines talk fine to my iOS devices, you gotta be smarter than the box.

Couldn't be compatibility by design by chance.. something lacking in the TPMS (by design i'm sure) to be "universal".

And I did note "Mac" systems. I don't care how smart you are you aren't going to make that happen.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:59 PM

LOL.. you were there when they programmed yours.. Did it really look like rocket science? "We've got a new line for the Chrysler Crossfire" I'm going with a guess the batteries were new.. I informed them 433mhz. Chrysler confirmed they were 433mhz but could not get communication.. as I said.. "speaking Japanese"..

In all reality Mrmiata since these things are so simple, when they function properly, all is fine but when there is trouble then we have to know basic trouble shooting of the system. If this "new line" for the Crossfire is actually for the Crossfire then the protocol transmitted should be correct. Guessing they were working before they are put on the car is fine, if they work, but if they don't now we need to know if they are the proper frequency and have good signal strength before we can go on. Does the tire shop/dealer have the decoder tool to do this? Did they test the sensors? Can the suspect sensors be matched to a different car? Verifies protocol. Again these are not rocket science, train them on a different car for an easy test of the sensor.

Chrysler confirmed "they" were 433? The sensors? Did they check your original sensor frequency with a decoder tool? Meaning we have to confirm the correct frequency. Again, this is all basic trouble shooting the system. The fact that they don't work today tells me something as amiss in the diagnostic process because accurate diagnostics can find the exact cause of the TPMS failure. And it could be just as you say, the ID not sent in the format needed but it seems very odd a company would manufacture an incorrect protocol.

Is it one of the brands listed on this chart?.....

Old 04-15-2015, 12:13 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

In all reality Mrmiata since these things are so simple, when they function properly, all is fine but when there is trouble then we have to know basic trouble shooting of the system. If this "new line" for the Crossfire is actually for the Crossfire then the protocol transmitted should be correct. Guessing they were working before they are put on the car is fine, if they work, but if they don't now we need to know if they are the proper frequency and have good signal strength before we can go on. Does the tire shop/dealer have the decoder tool to do this? Did they test the sensors? Can the suspect sensors be matched to a different car? Verifies protocol. Again these are not rocket science, train them on a different car for an easy test of the sensor.

Chrysler confirmed "they" were 433? The sensors? Did they check your original sensor frequency with a decoder tool? Meaning we have to confirm the correct frequency. Again, this is all basic trouble shooting the system. The fact that they don't work today tells me something as amiss in the diagnostic process because accurate diagnostics can find the exact cause of the TPMS failure. And it could be just as you say, the ID not sent in the format needed but it seems very odd a company would manufacture an incorrect protocol.

Is it one of the brands listed on this chart?.....

This chart lists part numbers for the various years that differs from the official allocation of part numbers and the years they were used.
There is a lot of words written on this subject and only one part has proved to be the part that works. We knew that five years ago and still it is rehashed and we have learned nothing new.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:06 AM

Are you always this grumpy 180?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Are you always this grumpy 180?
I made the comment that the chart lists parts that have not worked, the chart lists different years for the two OEM parts than the Chrysler parts list does.
Only one part that is after market has been identified here on the forum as having worked and yet we have posts telling us why the others should work. Seemingly they do not work because the car only sees one type and the dealers computer is the only method that works to activate them.
I think that they can be initiated by tire dealers but they cannot get into the cars computer so they cannot finish the job.

Simply put, until it has been proven otherwise the only sensors to use are the OEM ones and the Schrader #20028 which replaces the most common Crossfire sensor, the Schrader #20066 might work in the remaining Crossfires but has yet to be proven here. The only place to get them set up is the dealer.
I have kept an eye on this matter for way over five years and have not seen anything different from what I have just said. There is a lot of makers of these sensors and some have come and gone, only the Schraders work and so they should as they made most of the OEM sensors.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:12 AM

I ask because you have been nothing but critical of me in this thread. The Intent of this thread isn't to add to the part numbers discussion but to explain how the TPMS works. You have throughly covered part numbers. Thank you for doing so. This thread is geared more to the process of those part numbers and specifically the difference in programable sensors vs training the cars computer. That seems to be where the confusion comes in, not with what part to use. When I get to a real keyboard I will edit the OP saying so.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 04-15-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE (finally): had at least one dead sensor for past couple years. A few months ago, had my tire guy install 4 new sensors ("aftermarket" Napa part # 92-1016C) along w/2 new tires. Per the chart on this thread, they are the 433mhz. Finally hooked up w/Chrysler Tech & a working DRB111 & trained to car computer; No more warning light (so far). (Napa part on the same chart line with Schrader 20028)

With all 4 new sensors, I think car may recognize either frequency, not sure. Car is 2005 Roadster Limited, manufacture date: 07/04.

Last edited by lovecross; 06-27-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by lovecross
UPDATE (finally): had at least one dead sensor for past couple years. A few months ago, had my tire guy install 4 new sensors ("aftermarket" Napa part # 92-1016C) along w/2 new tires. Per the chart on this thread, they are the 433mhz. Finally hooked up w/Chrysler Tech & a working DRB111 & trained to car computer; No more warning light (so far). (Napa part on the same chart line with Schrader 20028)

With all 4 new sensors, I think car may recognize either frequency, not sure. Car is 2005 Roadster Limited, manufacture date: 07/04.
Great! This will make 180's day. I think in this post ... link here>>>https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-sensors.html <<< he says only the Schraders have been proven to work so far so you might be the first report of other brand success.

Could you please post your success story there in the part # thread too. Others may want to know success with NAPA.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 06-29-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:46 PM

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) OE Design Sensor $ 63.99 /ea.
Part Number: 921016C
Product Line: Echlin Ignition Parts
IMPORTANT INFO: Clone-able/ID Writable

Schrader 20028 TPMS Sensor fits Chrysler Dodge Isuzu Jeep Mitsubishi (1-pack)
List Price:$79.95
Price:$37.35
Free Shipping for Prime Members You Save:$42.60 (53%)

Old 06-29-2015, 06:54 PM

I thought there have been zero reports of the writable sensors working on the Crossfire?

PS: My Schraders were $34 from Tire Rack.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:28 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Schrader 20028 TPMS Sensor fits Chrysler Dodge Isuzu Jeep Mitsubishi (1-pack)
List Price:$79.95
Price:$37.35
Free Shipping for Prime Members You Save:$42.60 (53%)

I used the Napa(Echlin) parts listed by Mrmiata (92-1016C). Paid $49 each w/dealer discount. Chrysler quoted oem; $66 each w/dealer discount, couple years ago. Originals say "Schrader Bridgeport & made in UK". Napa parts came from a far eastern country, but it was not China, that I remember. Paid $50 labor under the table to a friend. (Working DRB111's with adaptor & Crossfire software may become obsolete & hard to find some day & of course $50 does not include initial install of sensors) Best to replace @ new tire time.
Don't know about "clone-able/ID writable"; all I know is they are apparently compatible w/Schrader 20028 & they are working. Napa part came in factory sealed plastic bag, in box.

Last edited by lovecross; 06-30-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had to run a couple of miles on a very low, almost flat tire the other day and had to buy 2 front tires. I was hearing a double thump as I pulled into the tire shop. I am wondering if damage regularly occurs to the TPM sensors when running flat. The tire shop wanted to sell me some TPMS service and said "it was the law". I told them not to touch my sensors knowing that they were special in the frequency and training procedures.
So, I read that the DRBIII tool is needed. Having 3 Crossfires and ALL need new sensors, I am wondering if I should add the DRBIII tool to my arsenal and learn how to use it or try to get a package deal somewhere. Stealership perhaps?

Quick Reply: TPMS 101, The Basics.