Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Electric spoiler in SRT-S coupe

Old 05-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric spoiler in SRT-S coupe

Please, please, just because V8's have been mentioned - let's keep posts strictly on the powered spoiler.

Also, there are several threads on how you feel one way or the other about spoilers. Please post your spoiler feelings on one of them.

The enclosed photo (I know there's a way to post the photo directly, but why can't they automatically show up?) is the innards of the spoiler - in case no one has seen what it looks like. Someone is billing the yellow item as the motor. If this is the case, then is the item to the right gears? Or...? I'm wondering what part the silver rod plays.

The other small photo is an express up/down 'unit'.

I'll be happy to buy one of the latter and ship it along with the electric spoiler to whoever feels they might well be able to make it all work. You only get six weeks Max though.

I'm more than willing to give up my ashtray if the 'assembly' can be made to fit inside.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
XFSpoilerB.jpg (69.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: png
250.png (54.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Electric spoiler in SRT-S coupe

Yep the yellow thing is the 2.5 nm motor, the silver thing is the gears, and the long rod is what turns and makes the double links on each side raise and lower the wing.

I'm willing to give it a shot, but first send me the instructions on the 'express' unit along with any other info and I'll have a peek and see if it might fit the bill.
Send me an IM and I'll reply with my address.
George

Old 05-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BibaResto
Please, please, just because V8's have been mentioned - let's keep posts strictly on the powered spoiler.

Also, there are several threads on how you feel one way or the other about spoilers. Please post your spoiler feelings on one of them.

The enclosed photo (I know there's a way to post the photo directly, but why can't they automatically show up?) is the innards of the spoiler - in case no one has seen what it looks like. Someone is billing the yellow item as the motor. If this is the case, then is the item to the right gears? Or...? I'm wondering what part the silver rod plays.

The other small photo is an express up/down 'unit'.

I'll be happy to buy one of the latter and ship it along with the electric spoiler to whoever feels they might well be able to make it all work. You only get six weeks Max though.

I'm more than willing to give up my ashtray if the 'assembly' can be made to fit inside.
Telling people what to do generally has the opposite effect, their attitude is what my son said to me once 'who made you the boss?'
I'll keep my thoughts on this old subject to myself.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Forum Regular

As it turns out I not only have an AutoLoc, but also found the instructions.

On a seller's website a customer left this comment regarding the AutoLoc: "I've used this unit before and loved it. It's only a problem when you use high current electric windows and the hand crank switches. Not possible." I'm not sure what he is saying but...

Do you have any idea as to the voltage at the motor?

A very bright engineer, though not electrical spent umpteen amounts of time trying to get the aftermarket power windows I'd installed to express up /down with this AutoLoc. He/we could never get it to work. So be warned. It was a '75 Alfa so hardly a state-of-the-art electrical system.

I do want to make it clear that I want a normal smallish switch - as opposed to the child protector express switches.

This is the unit. Feel free to open it up when you get it - though it is sealed.

Why not contact me off line and I'll give you more details.

Attached Images
AutoLoc.jpg (137.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-14-2016, 07:57 PM
Forum Regular

George has come up with a fix to have the spoiler go up and down. Once installed I'll give you an update.

If you're listening in, George, I'm just thinking out loud.

In checking out the non-working automatic interior light problem, I ran into a lot of info regarding the 'workings' of the spoiler. Without a doubt the key question is if the two wires (28 & 29) that go to /from the RCM to/from the spoiler limit switch, ummm, will talk to each other.

Has anyone spent time working in the RCM section that could check the viability on a SRT-6 for these two connections if given their exact location? Or is this a problematic thing to do?

Old 05-15-2016, 07:37 AM

It's the BCM, not the RCM that controls the spoiler Biba.
You won't need to use the limit switches with the timer module.
I'll try to get the schematic drawing done today and get it and the module in the mail tomorrow.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:10 AM

Why would you want to get rid of the most distinguishing visual feature of an SRT-6 and make it look like every other Crossfire? Just curious.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:21 PM
Forum Regular

Rob, you make it sound as if Crossfires are as common as Honda Accords and your non-movable spoiler is really unique.

Movable, non obtrusive spoilers are quite rare - compared to most any car. Not to mention they don't impinge on the rear's shape.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:20 AM

Rob, you make it sound as if Crossfires are as common as Honda Accords and your non-movable spoiler is really unique.

Movable, non obtrusive spoilers are quite rare - compared to most any car. Not to mention they don't impinge on the rear's shape.
I see Porsches with movable spoilers almost every day on my way to and from work, as well as a Crossfire or two. There are actually two regular Crossfires where I work (at a University). I have only seen 3 other SRT-6's in my life, and one of those was in the back lot of a dealer - totalled. I think that's a lot more exclusive, and the spoiler is what people notice and ask what model it is.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:42 PM

George has come up with a fix to have the spoiler go up and down. Once installed I'll give you an update.

If you're listening in, George, I'm just thinking out loud.

In checking out the non-working automatic interior light problem, I ran into a lot of info regarding the 'workings' of the spoiler. Without a doubt the key question is if the two wires (28 & 29) that go to /from the RCM to/from the spoiler limit switch, ummm, will talk to each other.

Has anyone spent time working in the RCM section that could check the viability on a SRT-6 for these two connections if given their exact location? Or is this a problematic thing to do?
Interested in your solution and search into speed activating the spoiler. I recently bought a trunk for my Miata that had been modified to acomodate the roadster spoiler. Not sure how it was wired, haven't received it yet, but it was working with switch activation. The seller, not the one who did the modification, said it was wired poorly thru the power window circuit. Looking for a better solution and the possibility speed activation. Heres a short video

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...xacWF4bms5elJn

Old 05-19-2016, 12:34 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Okay gents.. I know enough about electronics to release the magic smoke in resistors.. so I'll just toss this out for review..

AutoSpeed - Frequency Switch, Part 1

Old 05-19-2016, 09:47 AM

Came across this in my search for info, is this a possible solution? Not clear to me if this could be set to raise the spoiler at X and lower it at X-

Attached Images
SCAN0023.JPG (988.2 KB, 12 views)
stov - Copy.jpg (61.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-19-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by sprite63
Came across this in my search for info, is this a possible solution? Not clear to me if this could be set to raise the spoiler at X and lower it at X-
Yes, that has possibilities in conjuction with the 10 sec timer module that Biba displayed.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Yes, that has possibilities in conjuction with the 10 sec timer module that Biba displayed.

With the limit switches.. would you really need the timer?

Old 05-19-2016, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
With the limit switches.. would you really need the timer?
not if you can monitor the limit switches.
seems to me that neither module has that capability.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:11 AM

Out of curiosity, is the gentleman who put the Hemi V-8 in his X-fire on this forum and if so who is it? Have a couple of questions for him?
DJ

Old 05-20-2016, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by ROB311952
I see Porsches with movable spoilers almost every day on my way to and from work, as well as a Crossfire or two. There are actually two regular Crossfires where I work (at a University). I have only seen 3 other SRT-6's in my life, and one of those was in the back lot of a dealer - totalled. I think that's a lot more exclusive, and the spoiler is what people notice and ask what model it is.
The old saying: "to each his own"

Old 05-20-2016, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular

Thinking out loud - this isn't the correct term, but I have been wondering if an adjunct (stand alone?) program, using available electronic 'modules' could be made to function closely to the OEM system. While I have no problem with using a switch, it would be nice to have the spoiler raise automatically at 62 mph and retract at 39 mph (+ / –).

In the 2007 Service Manual 3, the spoiler's electronic diagnostics for the BCM goes from 23-99 to 23-122. Not knowing diddle regarding electronics, it does seem to me that it 'might' be helpful for programming. Or not.

The spoiler switch diagram in the CSG is located on page 8W-44-3 in manual 2.

There's a diagram of the speed controller for the BCM but doesn't mention the spoiler.

Just trying to help.