All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Drink Spill In Gear Shifter

Old 05-29-2019, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drink Spill In Gear Shifter

Hey guys, i recently just spilled coffee into my gear shifter box. (That damn cup claw sucks!) My issue is that now, my xFire will not shift up or down, and does not display the gear PRND1234 gears in the gauge cluster. It does not display any gears, and driving it like this makes the rpm very high, cannot go up to speeds higher than 45mph. Also it has trouble going from frive to park when the brake is pressed, so i keep the multi tool handy to manually allow it.

With a little research i found out it could be this { Chrysler CrossfireTiptronic floor shifter } , and also now the vehicle displays an engine code of P0705. Im considering buying a replacement and hoping that fixes the issue, but before i do, i would like to make an attempt at cleaning the assembly before buying a replacement. Does anyone have any suggestions also any tutorials on how to remove the assembly and so forth? That would be grea thank you so much in advance! You guys have solved EVERY issue that i have come across with my XFIRE, so any advice is welcome, and much appreciated.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Default Re: Drink Spill In Gear Shifter

I spilled water in my gearshift and now I am officially stuck in park. I can barely get it into drive and when I do the RPM's go super high .. only runs in 1st gear.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:39 PM

had the car for only a couple months and now it's screwed any help??? suggestions? have seen people mention the TCM??? not sure which sensors I'll need to replace or if it's worth doing in 2020. any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-07-2020, 02:47 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm afraid that other than trying a wet / dry vac and sucking out as much as you can and then maybe using a hair dryer and hoping it starts to work you will have to replace your shifter. Do a search on this site on how to remove the bezel so you can get inside. GOOD LUCK, these cars do not like liquids, too much electronics in todays cars.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:11 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

The SLA Shift Lever Assembly has to be replaced as a unit. You may find one on ebay or a junkyard site. Replacing the TCU will not correct your problem.
If you get it fixed;; Don't drive with food or drinks in the car. Make that rule number one, and that includes any passenger. NO food or drinks, period!

Old 02-08-2020, 10:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a link to a shifter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/04-05-06-07...QAAOSwwFld9CYe

Old 02-09-2020, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by cowancom3
I purchased a new one from Amazon months ago and replaced it myself, itwas fairly easy, the only challenge was the little clip underneath, other than that, my issue was resolved as soon as the new one was installed.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenial
I purchased a new one from Amazon months ago and replaced it myself, itwas fairly easy, the only challenge was the little clip underneath, other than that, my issue was resolved as soon as the new one was installed.
You are the one to ask then. When I select a shift position I can see the unit beneath the bezel tilt to the left as though it isn't fastened down. Once the lever is in position the unit goes level again. Can you tell me what I need to do to make the shifter stationary during selection? Thanks.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by g wheels
You are the one to ask then. When I select a shift position I can see the unit beneath the bezel tilt to the left as though it isn't fastened down. Once the lever is in position the unit goes level again. Can you tell me what I need to do to make the shifter stationary during selection? Thanks.
There shouldn't be any play in the gear shifter, or the unit itself. If you can post a short video, or pictures showing what you mean it would help with identifying. Otherwise, it sounds like maybe a bolt or fastener could be lose.

The process of taking apart the interior is very easy. I posted a few videos below for you. The first two videos are extremely similar modules(Mercedes) that the crossfire has and will help with understanding how to take the shift mechanism apart and what goes where, and does what. The third video is Crossfire specific and will show you the interior break down. (Very easy)

The whole process can take you less than 10 minutes , even less if you are better with tools than myself, because I'm not great.
​​​​

Gear Shifter Breakdown

Crossfire Interior Removal

Last edited by Xenial; 02-12-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Xenial
There shouldn't be any play in the gear shifter, or the unit itself. If you can post a short video, or pictures showing what you mean it would help with identifying. Otherwise, it sounds like maybe a bolt or fastener could be lose.
Ok, thanks for the invitation. Here's two pictures of my exposed unit
It looks as though there are a couple of screws missing. I've been told that for a long time now.

Upper left and upper right. You can see the vacancy.

Just a broader view.

If you can verify that there are screws missing, can you give me a good idea of what millimeter, size and pitch?
THANKS!

Old 02-26-2020, 06:12 PM

I checked the hole diameter. It's approximately .095 inch. That might be the minor diameter of an M3 screw. I went to the hardware store and got a couple of M3 X .5 10s. This doesn't appear to be what is needed. The button head screws don't go. There must be another method that fastens the module down. Anyone with experience please help. Thanks..

Old 07-10-2021, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zip439
The SLA Shift Lever Assembly has to be replaced as a unit. You may find one on ebay or a junkyard site. Replacing the TCU will not correct your problem.
If you get it fixed;; Don't drive with food or drinks in the car. Make that rule number one, and that includes any passenger. NO food or drinks, period!

I just experienced this same issue. 2004 Automatic. 12oz coffee all in the gear shift assembly. Park locked then wouldn’t start. Got it to start, did the park override to get it home. Now it sits.

are you suggesting the fix is to replace the whole gear shift assembly and this replacement should resolve the issue?

thank you. Be well.

Last edited by Cub Fan; 07-11-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 03:22 PM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Cub Fan
I just experienced this same issue. 2004 Automatic. 12oz coffee all in the gear shift assembly. Park locked then wouldn’t start. Got it to start, did the park override to get it home. Now is sits.

are you suggesting the fix is to replace the whole gear shift assembly and this replacement should resolve the issue?

thank you. Be well.
YES. You can let it dry, hope and pray, or remove it and try cleaning, but in the long run you will find it easier, quicker and likely the only remedy. These should help, just click on the link, look under the interior topic and you will find a PDF with pictures as how to remove the center console: console removal
when you get the plastic removed from above the shifter

That's from the service manual.

Last edited by zip439; 07-10-2021 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:28 PM

Zip,
PM sent.

Again, thank you.

Be well.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Stop using that cup puncture called a cup holder. The worst cup holder design ever, replace it with something useful, a cubby bin.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:33 AM

Do I need to clear any codes or will the car self clear once it reads the “new” assembly?

@philosophico Noted. My next mod is to remove the cup holder and make a bin. ….that and treat the car like Gizmo so it doesn’t turn into a Gremlin!

Be Safe. Be well.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by g wheels
I checked the hole diameter. It's approximately .095 inch. That might be the minor diameter of an M3 screw. I went to the hardware store and got a couple of M3 X .5 10s. This doesn't appear to be what is needed. The button head screws don't go. There must be another method that fastens the module down. Anyone with experience please help. Thanks..
Those are NOT screw holes.
If you click on this link for the paddleshifter instrucitons https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K96...Z6pLrHiQn/view
and then scroll to pages 10-23 you will find detailed instructions and annotated pics of shifter removal and disasembly.

HTH,
Chris

Old 07-16-2021, 03:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cub Fan
Do I need to clear any codes or will the car self clear once it reads the “new” assembly?

@philosophico Noted. My next mod is to remove the cup holder and make a bin. ….that and treat the car like Gizmo so it doesn’t turn into a Gremlin!

Be Safe. Be well.
The car should happily accept the new shifter without the need to xfer any settings or programming. HOWEVER, there are some shifter malfunctions that can create a a stored error that must be cleared (I have personally only seen this once). SO, if you replace the shifter and still have some problem, you may need to hook up a dealer level tool and clear a code .
HTH,
Chris