All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

2007 Low mileage Limited Coupe to do list?

Old 01-10-2023, 02:47 PM
kas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 Low mileage Limited Coupe to do list?

Expecting my new 2007 Crossfire Limited Coupe to arrive in a few days by shipper. It's a Texas one-owner with 15,000 miles. What are the first items you might suggest that the I (the mechanic) should prioritize, given its age & low mileage? The seller said they have changed the oil & installed a new battery as part of their "pre-delivery" inspection. Carfax says, it's had regular oil changes & the brake master cylinder was replaced in 2021 at 14.5k miles. I know there are things that need to be looked at by virtue of the car's advanced age, rather than low mileage. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2023, 05:40 PM
Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Re: 2007 Low mileage Limited Coupe to do list?

Originally Posted by kas
Expecting my new 2007 Crossfire Limited Coupe to arrive in a few days by shipper. It's a Texas one-owner with 15,000 miles. What are the first items you might suggest that the I (the mechanic) should prioritize, given its age & low mileage? The seller said they have changed the oil & installed a new battery as part of their "pre-delivery" inspection. Carfax says, it's had regular oil changes & the brake master cylinder was replaced in 2021 at 14.5k miles. I know there are things that need to be looked at by virtue of the car's advanced age, rather than low mileage. Thanks!
kas
Since this is a one owner car, is the original owner providing you with the complete written maintenance history, with receipts, on this Crossfire? This car is 15 years old, so you can't go by the mileage of 15,000 when looking at the work, what has been done in the past. You need to look at the monthly frequency of the items related to the maintenance.
  1. What type of oil/filter was used?
  2. When was the tranny fluid/filter changed?
  3. Any hoses/belt changed in the past?
  4. Tires need replaced, check the date on the sidewall?
  5. Rear diff fluid changes?
  6. etc, etc, etc.....
Who did the visual inspection on the Crossfire before you purchased it?

Just a few questions that you've solicited....

SEE the excellent sales ad below, click on the link!
Dennis
DTMenace

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Limited Roadster, A+ condition - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

Last edited by DTMenace; 01-10-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2023, 05:55 PM
kas

Originally Posted by DTMenace
kas
Since this is a one owner car, is the original owner providing you with the complete written maintenance history, with receipts, on this Crossfire? This car is 15 years old, so you can't go by the mileage of 15,000 when looking at the work, what has been done in the past. You need to look at the monthly frequency of the items related to the maintenance.
  1. What type of oil/filter was used?
  2. When was the tranny fluid/filter changed?
  3. Any hoses/belt changed in the past?
  4. Tires need replaced, check the date on the sidewall?
  5. Rear diff fluid changes?
  6. etc, etc, etc.....
Who did the visual inspection on the Crossfire before you purchased it?

Just a few questions that you've solicited....

SEE the excellent sales ad below, click on the link!
Dennis
DTMenace

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Limited Roadster, A+ condition - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource
All good questions. Of which I have no answers. I bought the Crossfire from a dealer. All the information I have is from the dealer & Carfax.

Old 01-10-2023, 06:58 PM
Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts

kas
Essentially you have NOTHING related to the car, since the CarFax is just about worthless and we know how dealers lie....
Dennis
DTMenace

Old 01-10-2023, 08:05 PM
kas

Originally Posted by DTMenace
kas
Essentially you have NOTHING related to the car, since the CarFax is just about worthless and we know how dealers lie....
Dennis
DTMenace
Indeed. I have nothing relating to the car. Except it's a one owner 2007 Crossfire Limited Coupe with 15k miles. Hence, my original question.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:10 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, you doing your own work? Or find a good euro Indy shop.

Old 01-11-2023, 06:27 AM
kas

Originally Posted by No704
Well, you doing your own work? Or find a good euro Indy shop.
I have a mechanic. For a Crossfire of this age & mileage, what can I expect hm to look for? Or more to the point of my question, what would Crossfire experts here expect him to look for? Thanks.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:42 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

FIRST! Seeing as you are not doing the work yourself, find a good trustworthy independent shop who specializes in Mercedes or European automobile repair. NO DEALERSHIPS!!! That is first and foremost import. These cars are basically Mercedes 2003 SLK 320 which is an R170 platform.
Considering it came from a dealer, I would want all the fluids changed to Mercedes recommended products.
I would change all the brake pads to Euro Ceramic. As has been suggested check the tire date on your tires, replace if needed.
Look for any rust under the door at the rubber seals and repair if you find any.
With such a low mileage car I would install a Needswings oil catch can to help keep the engine clean.
Read the owners manual and test your FOB for correct operation. If the red siren button does nothing when you push and hold it down for about two seconds, or if the siren is weak, have your mechanic open the cowl under the windshield and disconnect and remove the siren.
Check the plastic trim around the windshield. Try to lift it up. If it feels loose then remove it from the car and replace the two sided tape from the plastic and replace the tape with new two sided tape which holds the plastic to the retaining clips. Those trim pieces are hard to find and expensive when you do find one for replacement. BEST not to loose them!
If your key does not rotate easily and never seems to get hung up, you may already have the "Sticky Key" repair done to your car, but if there is any resistance to a normal twisting motion you need to make this repair now before you get a stuck key in the ignition. Click on the PDF file Sticky Key Repair Your car being a 2007 may not have this problem, but you should be aware of it.
These are really fun cars, Enjoy The Ride and come to some of the annual events to meet other owners. Everyone is welcomed!

Last edited by zip439; 01-12-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:04 AM
kas

Originally Posted by zip439
FIRST! Seeing as you are not doing the work yourself, find a good trustworthy independent shop who specializes in Mercedes or European automobile repair. NO DEALERSHIPS!!! That is first and foremost import. These cars are basically Mercedes 2003 SLK 320 which is an R170 platform.
Considering it came from a dealer, I would want all the fluids changed to Mercedes recommended products.
I would change all the brake pads to Euro Ceramic. As has been suggested check the tire date on your tires, replace if needed.
Look for any rust under the door at the rubber seals and repair if you find any.
With such a low mileage car I would install a Needswings oil catch can to help keep the engine clean.
Read the owners manual and test your FOB for correct operation. If the red siren button does nothing when you push and hold it down for about two seconds, or if the siren is weak, have your mechanic open the cowl under the windshield and disconnect and remove the siren.
If your key does not rotate easily and never seems to get hung up, you may already have the "Sticky Key" repair done to your car, but if there is any resistance to a normal twisting motion you need to make this repair now before you get a stuck key in the ignition. Click on the PDF file Sticky Key Repair Your car being a 2007 may not have this problem, but you should be aware of it.
These are really fun cars, Enjoy The Ride and come to some of the annual events to meet other owners. Everyone is welcomed!
Thank you much! Just the type of useful information I was seeking.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:14 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You can also learn a lot from the daily posts on this forum.
This list of Crossfire fixes has been invaluable to me. Big thanks to onehundred80
Jim
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Old 01-12-2023, 11:38 AM
kas

Originally Posted by exparamedic
You can also learn a lot from the daily posts on this forum.
This list of Crossfire fixes has been invaluable to me. Big thanks to onehundred80
Jim
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html
Indeed. Thanks for this. It is nice to get "first things first" in a bit of a nutshell post(s). I plan on taking it to my mechanic as soon as it's registered. I'd like to have an intelligent discussion with him about what needs to be attended to without delay & what can be delayed should the entire to-do list be $$ unwieldy during one service. As expected.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:40 AM

Anther item that needs maintenance would be the plate where your rear spoiler attaches to the car. I believe all will leak eventually, so repair it before you get into deep trouble with a failed vacuum pump. There are several other areas where a leak can occur but this is the primary problem area. Remove the plate clean the area and reseal it with "Mortite" weatherstrip caulking cord.
You can use the search box in the upper right corner of this website for more info. Type in leaking wing and use the google option by hovering your mouse over the threads option directly to the left of the search box to get the best results.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:42 AM
kas

Anther item that needs maintenance would be the plate where your rear spoiler attaches to the car. I believe all will leak eventually, so repair it before you get into deep trouble with a failed vacuum pump. There are several other areas where a leak can occur but this is the primary problem area. Remove the plate clean the area and reseal it with "Mortite" weatherstrip caulking cord.
You can use the search box in the upper right corner of this website for more info. Type in leaking wing and use the google option by hovering your mouse over the threads option directly to the left of the search box to get the best results.
On the list! Thanks.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:49 AM
kas

Since I don't seem to have a "new thread" button here any longer, I'll post on this one. Just went thru my second car wash. Water poured in from above the foot well on the passenger side of the car. Any idea why? I didn't notice anything on my first wash. But, I now notice there is evidence of prior water staining on the carpet floor. Any trouble shooting advice for my mechanic would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-28-2023, 08:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 196 Likes on 139 Posts

Most probably leaves, debris, and or pine needles etc blocking drain holes which are just forward of firewall under the hood..which caused an overflow.
Happened to me where the water shorted out the heater/cooler fan resistor. All because I went thru a high pressure car wash.

You will need to remove the wiper arms and the plastic cowl.
You will find tons of leaves and debris underneath clogging the 4 drains.
Use a coat hanger in combination to a water hose to GENTLY clear the drains ( don't knock off the rubber tubes underneath

Old 01-28-2023, 08:14 AM
kas

Thank you! I've screenshotted this for my mechanic.

Old 01-28-2023, 08:15 AM
kas

Originally Posted by JoeO
 Most probably leaves, debris, and or pine needles etc blocking drain holes which are just forward of firewall under the hood..which caused an overflow.
Happened to me where the water shorted out the heater/cooler fan resistor. All because I went thru a high pressure car wash.

You will need to remove the wiper arms and the plastic cowl.
You will find tons of leaves and debris underneath clogging the 4 drains.
Use a coat hanger in combination to a water hose to GENTLY clear the drains ( don't knock off the rubber tubes underneath
Thank you. I have screen shotted it for my mechanic.

Old 01-28-2023, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by kas
Since I don't seem to have a "new thread" button here any longer, I'll post on this one. Just went thru my second car wash. Water poured in from above the foot well on the passenger side of the car. Any idea why? I didn't notice anything on my first wash. But, I now notice there is evidence of prior water staining on the carpet floor. Any trouble shooting advice for my mechanic would be appreciated. Thanks
With the cowl off test that siren as I explained in my post above.

Old 01-28-2023, 08:20 AM
kas

With the cowl off test that siren as I explained in my post above.
Will do. Thanks!