Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod

Old 10-19-2018, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod

Originally Posted by Tom3120

I ordered some from a local electronic supply store yesterday. About $2.00 each. I should have them later next week. I’m looking forward to doing this mod even though the “driving season” is quickly ending here in Indiana. However it will be ready to rock come springtime!
In my opinion you will be very happy with the results. You will be able to increase the bass without getting that muddy sound from the front speakers and the sub woofers are suddenly alive!

Old 10-29-2018, 07:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, my local electronics store dropped the ball on this and forgot to order them for me and now says it would be awhile before they place another order so I'm going to just order them myself. Can someone confirm for me that this is what I need? I do not see anywhere if it is a polarized or non polarized type.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-270uf-...97.m4902.l9144

Old 10-29-2018, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom3120
Well, my local electronics store dropped the ball on this and forgot to order them for me and now says it would be awhile before they place another order so I'm going to just order them myself. Can someone confirm for me that this is what I need? I do not see anywhere if it is a polarized or non polarized type.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-270uf-...97.m4902.l9144
WHy are you wasting time when I pointed you to the right part a few posts above?
Go ahead, order those from eBay - but they are polarized. They will last for awhile, then *pop* goes the capacitor.

It is hard to help some people. It's why we let Dave provide most of the answers here........

Old 10-29-2018, 07:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
WHy are you wasting time when I pointed you to the right part a few posts above?
Go ahead, order those from eBay - but they are polarized. They will last for awhile, then *pop* goes the capacitor.

It is hard to help some people. It's why we let Dave provide most of the answers here........
Sorry, I originally thought I could get them quicker by buying them locally but they didn't have them in stock but they offered to order them for me and have them in just a few days so that is what I went with and focused on.
However, yes indeed you did direct me to a page where many different capacitors were listed for sale but I did not see the 270uf size listed. I do see the 250uf listed and will probably just go with those as the difference shouldn't be noticeable. Thank you for reminding me. So this is what I'll order?

https://www.parts-express.com/250uf-...citor--027-370

Old 10-29-2018, 08:41 PM
Administrator

That one will do. I played with 220s, 270s, 330s and 470s. All but the 470s did the job, the 470s didn't let much Bass thru, but enough that I didn't like them.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:08 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

I bought the following capacitors off Amazon: PANASONIC EEU-FC1J271 CAPACITOR ALUM ELEC, 270UF, 63V, 20%, RADIAL (5 pieces). Worked just fine.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I bought the following capacitors off Amazon: PANASONIC EEU-FC1J271 CAPACITOR ALUM ELEC, 270UF, 63V, 20%, RADIAL (5 pieces). Worked just fine.

Since you bought a 5 pack, does that mean you have 3 left over? I'm local to you and would love to buy 2 off you.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Eurow
Since you bought a 5 pack, does that mean you have 3 left over? I'm local to you and would love to buy 2 off you.
Give me some time to look for the 3 remaining capacitors. Assuming I find them, I'll be glad to give you a couple to use.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I'm new here and also new to the Crossfire community. I've always wanted a Crossfire but was never in a position to get one. I've just retired and found a 2004 Crossfire in excellent condition for a price I could afford and I snapped it up. The car rides like a dream and the only problem I have is with the sound system. The previous owner took out the Infinity radio and replaced it with a Pioneer DEH-X6800BS and when I turnit on all of the music appears to come out of the two speakers on the forward bottom corner of the car doors. I cannot hear any sound from the two small circular speakers above on the doors or the two sub-woofers behind the seats. This is making me very unhappy because I got the car to go on long cross-country drives while listening to the music I grew up with (late 50s through late 70s Rock&Roll). Question 1: Should I try to find the original Infinity radio (are they still available?) Question 2: should I try a different radio (Sony CDX-M9900?)
Also, I've heard that there is an amplifier in the car (under the floormats of the passenger side) that may be the problem; if so, is that unit still available from Chrysler?
Anything you can tell me to help this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:35 PM
Administrator

WHo knows what was done when the aftermarket head was put in. I'd pull the head and look at the wiring back there. BUT, it could also be that debris under the wipers has clogged the drains and rain water has backed up and ran down behind the mat and ruined the amp.

In any event, you DO NOT want one of those factory amps any more than you want an OEM head. The sound system is not hard to upgrade. A new JVC or KENWOOD amp can be had for under $100, under $200 if you are demanding of a lot of power (which hte factory speakers barely can handle).

It would not be hard to buy an amp and new head and start over. My JVC head was $85 at Best Buy and it sounds WONDERFUL. I run mine without an ampl, my car is a Base with no rear speakers or amp.
I changed the head to hte JVC head, added rear speakers, and was happy for under $200 and about three hours of my time.

That's how Id do it, just start over. But seriously, pull the mat up and check for water under there. Don't let that go.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:30 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
WHo knows what was done when the aftermarket head was put in. I'd pull the head and look at the wiring back there. BUT, it could also be that debris under the wipers has clogged the drains and rain water has backed up and ran down behind the mat and ruined the amp.

In any event, you DO NOT want one of those factory amps any more than you want an OEM head. The sound system is not hard to upgrade. A new JVC or KENWOOD amp can be had for under $100, under $200 if you are demanding of a lot of power (which hte factory speakers barely can handle).

It would not be hard to buy an amp and new head and start over. My JVC head was $85 at Best Buy and it sounds WONDERFUL. I run mine without an ampl, my car is a Base with no rear speakers or amp.
I changed the head to hte JVC head, added rear speakers, and was happy for under $200 and about three hours of my time.

That's how Id do it, just start over. But seriously, pull the mat up and check for water under there. Don't let that go.
I think that spending money on a head unit can be a waste, I use the OEM amp and a Kenwood navigation head and after rewiring it to give four channels you can really feel those rear speakers.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I think that spending money on a head unit can be a waste, I use the OEM amp and a Kenwood navigation head and after rewiring it to give four channels you can really feel those rear speakers.
I do'nt disagree, it's just that WOW, did my JVC heand improve things, even before I added rear speakers.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:26 PM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

Lots of room in the passenger footwell for an aftermarket Amo

ditch the original

run the power to the Amp directly from the battery. There is a grommet beneath the battery tray. It will accept a 3/8” power cable

Old 08-27-2019, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Pizzaguy: Thank you for your prompt replay. First of, I have to admit to not being at all familiar with the "lingo" used to discuss these problems. I'm confused between the meanings of such terms as "Heads" & "Amps". This is what I believe I know: 1. The "radio" itself does not directly connect to the speakers. 2. The "radio" has Line outputs that connect to the car's amplifier (under the mats on the passenger side). 3. The amplifier then distributes the "radio" line outputs (amplified) to all the car's 6 speakers (Highs/Mids & Subs). I had the installation checked by Bestbuy's Geek Squad and they told me those connections are alright. So, if my understanding of all this is correct, is your suggestion that I replace both the present radio as well as the present amplifier? and if I do that, that perhaps I also would benefit by replacing all 6 of the present speakers?
I sincerely apologize for my lack of education regarding car radio/amplifiers parlance but I never before had the opportunity to investigate/learn this stuff so I really do appreciate your help with my problems. Also, following your advice, I checked for water damage and found no signs of it anywhere but since I live in a very dry desert region it could be I'd have to wait for it to rain and go driving the car then. Are there other ways to verify the amplifier's present condition?
Thanks again for your help!

Old 08-27-2019, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by josefran
Mr. Pizzaguy: Thank you for your prompt replay. First of, I have to admit to not being at all familiar with the "lingo" used to discuss these problems. I'm confused between the meanings of such terms as "Heads" & "Amps".
"Head" means "radio", I don't know why they use the term 'head'.

This is what I believe I know: 1. The "radio" itself does not directly connect to the speakers. 2. The "radio" has Line outputs that connect to the car's amplifier (under the mats on the passenger side). 3. The amplifier then distributes the "radio" line outputs (amplified) to all the car's 6 speakers (Highs/Mids & Subs). I had the installation checked by Bestbuy's Geek Squad and they told me those connections are alright. So, if my understanding of all this is correct, is your suggestion that I replace both the present radio as well as the present amplifier? and if I do that, that perhaps I also would benefit by replacing all 6 of the present speakers?
I sincerely apologize for my lack of education regarding car radio/amplifiers parlance but I never before had the opportunity to investigate/learn this stuff so I really do appreciate your help with my problems. Also, following your advice, I checked for water damage and found no signs of it anywhere but since I live in a very dry desert region it could be I'd have to wait for it to rain and go driving the car then. Are there other ways to verify the amplifier's present condition?
Thanks again for your help!
1) The radio drives the speakers directly in Base and SE models (those cars have no amps or speakers behind the seats.

2) WRONG -you'd think they would do it that way, but no. The factory 'head' (radio) drives the amp with it's speaker outputs.
... Most replacement 'heads' have line outputs as well as speaker outputs. It is best to drive the amp with speaker outputs. If you use "Line" outputs, they must be 4 volt level, if they are the 2 volt level, things won't sound right.

3) The system is wired oddly. THe factory head had only two channels, left and right. The output of the head feeds the amp, which is four channels. The harness is jumpered such that it operates like a two channel amp. If you put a new head in, you can wire it up so that each door's speakers are one channel and each rear speaker is one channnel, this gives you fade as well as balance control as well as separate equalizers for front and back if the new head supports that - most do.

The rear speakers are dual voice coil. I'd replace them with conventional single-voice coil models if you replace the factory amp.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:25 PM
Administrator

If you have no water damage I STILL think the wiring is wrong. But there ARE a lot of our cars out there with bad speakers, and I do know some of our factory amps have failed on their own.

The following users liked this post:
ZH SRT6 (06-28-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 07:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you sir, did the mod today with 220's and I couldn't be happier. Just wanted to let you know that there are still people enjoying you nugget of wisdom...

The following users liked this post:
ZH SRT6 (06-28-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 07:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you...I installed the 220uf capacitors today...I can now raise the bass to a plus level and not have the door speakers muddled....Thank you to all, Pelkid, 180 especially.......We used to call a foreman 180, cause when he was a worked with his tools he was lazy and after he made foreman he turned around 180 degrees and expected everyone to bust ***, unlike him....

Old 07-30-2020, 09:58 AM
Received 133 Likes on 111 Posts

The only downside I see with " Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod " is I think it shortens the life of the rear speaker foam surrounds . The extra bass channeled through the rear puts an extra load on the foam. This foam is slowly degrading and need to be replaced in most of our cars, if not all, it's only a matter of time . After I did the mod my speakers bit the dust 6 months later but I do like loud music

Last edited by dcskmail; 07-30-2020 at 10:49 AM. Reason: misspelled
Old 07-30-2020, 10:53 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by dcskmail
The only downside I see with " Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod " is I think it shortens the life of the rear speaker foam surrounds . The extra bass channeled through the rear puts an extra load on the foam. This foam is slowly degrading and in needs to be replaced in most of our cars if not all it's only a matter of time . After I did the mod my speakers bit the dust 6 months later but I do like loud music
Ithink that the foam used in Europe is made to be environmentally safer that what we use. It uses less environmentally unsafe materials and as such it falls apart sooner. I had some European foam that lasted 30 odd years but the roam in the headliner lasted only 15 years. When the foam around the speakers gets vibrated it will not last as long.
I wired my head to the amp using four of the pre outs and now have control each speaker. The speakers in the rear are now a threat to the health of my kidneys if I was to punch the bass.

A word of warning, young people today will get deafer sooner than their parents because of the loud music constantly in their ears. I worked in a noisy environment for a few years, I am now quite deaf and suffer from Tinnitus, which is worse to bear than my deafness. Noise makes the fine hair like things in your ear vibrate too much and they are damaged and they cannot repair themselves. Ignore this warning at your own peril. Rant over.

Quick Reply: Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod