Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I finally got a ticket :(

Old 11-27-2006, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I finally got a ticket :(

Originally Posted by nox1s
We got my car used at the DCX employee lot. My dad works for Chrysler, so that's all we can drive.

But my car was one of the cars they give the "special employees" ... you know. Use it for a few months and then turn it in to get a new car. It was the only automatic (this is my first car and I don't know how to drive a stick) that wasn't a convertible (those were to expensive for us, and in michigan I didn't really want one).
Hey you are in the same position that I am in, minus the ticket. As much as it might suck to tell your parents you got your first ticket, they will find out either way. The state of Michigan sends a letter home for any driving offense that you break if you are under 19 years old. So if you don't tell them they will instead find out from the letter which doesn't come until months after you pay the ticket off. So hiding it, really isn't an option.

As far as parents taking the car away, my parents also said they would take away my car when I got a ticket but that didn't happen, all I got was just a long talk about responsibility and was told not to speed again.

No matter what, go and fight the ticket and they might let you off with a warning. But if you have a lead foot you might want to invest in a high quality radar detector, or learn to slow down.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamicS
No it's not about integrity it's about being smart, if you tell your parent your getting speeding tickets, they will become paranoid and worried that he's out street racing and acting like a knuckle head, most likely they might start thinking about taking the car away from him.

If he takes the driving school there is no record of the offense and neither his parents or insurance company will be on to him. He's already being punished by having to show up early for court and paying the ticket. What more abuse does he deserve.
So, being "smart" is more important than being honest and developing
personal integrity? Keeping your driving privilege is more important than
keeping a parent's trust?

Noxls, be truly smart. 'fess up as soon as you see your parents. Even if
they've lost a bundle in Las Vegas, tell them immediately. It is likely that
the initial eruption will be bad, but probably not the last word either. To
be treated like an adult, one must act like one. That means taking your
licks when you have to, and not crying about it.

The adage, don't do the crime if you can't do the time, seems to make
some sense. But, we are only human, and prone to make mistakes. Those
who are forthright will have the opportunity to make more, while those
who lie and cover up will not.

Coyote

Old 11-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Tell your parents... not telling them may be considered a lie to them. Own up, take the heat, make it right. They will put WAY more trust in you in the future. Also, these cars (Crossfires) love going fast, they can easily go faster than you think you are going. If you didn't realize you were going that fast... explain that as well. It's not a cop-out of you really didn't notice, but don't use it as an easy-out.

Just learn to obey the speed limit. Radar detectors only tend to give you a false sense of security and then you break the speed limit more.

There are times and places to drive fast (track) with the proper instruction (class & instructor riding shotgun). Take advantage of these if you really want to do two things.

1. Drive fast, have fun & be safe without breaking the law.

2. Improve your knowledge and skill controlling a motor vehicle.

I had a blast at the track for the first time at the age of 37 and I'm very sad that I didn't get the chance to do that sooner.

I also got a ticket on the way to Las Vegas just before the track event. Sucks to be me, because I only have myself to blame and I have to pay for it, point and the fine.

Trust me... just learn to watch your speed and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by MMZ_TimeLord; 11-27-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Tell your parents... not telling them may be considered a lie to them. Own up, take the heat, make it right. They will put WAY more trust in you in the future. Also, these cars (Crossfires) love going fast, they can easily go faster than you think you are going. If you didn't realize you were going that fast... explain that as well. It's not a cop-out of you really didn't notice, but don't use it as an easy-out.

Just learn to obey the speed limit. Radar detectors only tend to give you a false sense of security and then you break the speed limit more.

There are times and places to drive fast (track) with the proper instruction (class & instructor riding shotgun). Take advantage of these if you really want to do two things.

1. Drive fast, have fun & be safe without breaking the law.

2. Improve your knowledge and skill controlling a motor vehicle.

I had a blast at the track for the first time at the age of 37 and I'm very sad that I didn't get the chance to do that sooner.

I also got a ticket on the way to Las Vegas just before the track event. Sucks to be me, because I only have myself to blame and I have to pay for it, point and the fine.

Trust me... just learn to watch your speed and enjoy the ride.
A bit off the subject:

That's how I ended up on the track for the first time in 1975... My first car was a 1970 Triumph GT6+ and I got busted being stupid and terribly unsafe by the Malibu Sheriff's Dept. My dad was notified and I ended-up losing my driving privileges for a few weeks and having to do every labor intensive job he could think of to pay off the $85 fine. Then my father said if you're going to be driving like an idiot, you better learn how to do it well, otherwise you'll kill yourself and worse, somebody else... He sent me to Jim Russell School for two weeks during my summer vacation and made me reimburse him for the cost... I've been a track junkie ever since and drive like an old grandma on the streets... Hell, for that matter, I drive like an old grandma on the track too !!!

PS: I haven't had a moving violation for 25 years...

Last edited by HDDP; 11-27-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most questions like this are very simple to answer, the question is asking permission to do another wrong. You will never feel the need to ask if you should do the right thing so do the right thing and fess up. There's no shame in the truth, only in a lie...

Old 11-27-2006, 07:24 PM

Well they come home in about an hour...

I'll let you guys know how it goes...

Old 11-27-2006, 07:55 PM

At 17 to drive a car like this I think is only asking for this kind of trouble and so many years of driving ahead of you yet, I've been driving for about 25 yrs and if I had a few speeding tickets under me I would not even think of owning a crossfire. Its a test of will power for sure!
Girlfriend got a ticket just 10 minutes after getting the car before that nothing.
Good luck drive safe.
P.S. Your folks will understand.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to back up what I think Xfire amx said way back. You gotta tell your parents. Think about it this way, would you rather explain the ticket or why you didn't tell them about the ticket as well. Two wrongs don't make a right. As for the insurance issue, I'm an agent and the only thing that shows up on your record are major violations, that wasn't a major so you'll be fine. The only time it does show is when you or your parents try to switch insurance companies, then it will come up on your MVR, usually they are on there for 3 years, points last 2 years. Honesty is the best ticket in your case.

Pat

Old 11-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Coyote
So, being "smart" is more important than being honest and developing
personal integrity? Keeping your driving privilege is more important than
keeping a parent's trust?

Noxls, be truly smart. 'fess up as soon as you see your parents. Even if
they've lost a bundle in Las Vegas, tell them immediately. It is likely that
the initial eruption will be bad, but probably not the last word either. To
be treated like an adult, one must act like one. That means taking your
licks when you have to, and not crying about it.

The adage, don't do the crime if you can't do the time, seems to make
some sense. But, we are only human, and prone to make mistakes. Those
who are forthright will have the opportunity to make more, while those
who lie and cover up will not.

Coyote
I agree 100%.
Trust is very hard to get and so easy to lose. You got caught, stand up and take it like a man.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Forum Regular

Nox1s, well they were suppose to be home at 6:30. It is now
8:30. What is the story? You can tell them you were so concerned
about the ticket that you asked for advice from a bunch of knuckle-
heads. Show them the advice from our law enforcement
member and say, I took his advice.
This shows concern, fright, and a true love for your folks.

Parents of Nox1s:
Your son sounds sounds like a great kid. Give him another chance.
My real concerned is that he sounds scared to death...
Sh*t happens.

As a parent of two teens 19 and 17. The oldest rolled his car, I won't
tell you what it was, 5 weeks after he got it, he was 16.. I got over it, last week.

Have patients and a big group hug..

Old 11-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Forum Regular

I got my first ticket a week after i was driving, and the first thing i did was tell my parents, honesty IS important, you know your parents so you know what they like to hear, and how they liked to be talked to...

But for legal advice, the ticket depends from state to state for example, you were on the highway and pulled over doing 10 over, its not considered a moving violation...their maybe a diversion program in your area, which would be like you pay a set amount, and if you drive good for 6 months, the charges are dropped, and WILL never be seen by law enforcement, only the court could pull them if they wanted, this is beneficial in case you do get pulled over...

For future reference, if you do get pulled over, do the following:
1) pull over to the right lane slowly, and use your blinkers.
2) put on your dome light, and sit patiently.
3) breathe heavy and act nervous, explain its your first time getting pulled over, and you're just nervous.
4) address the cop as sir/ma'am.
5) cooperate and be nice, but not a kiss ***.
6) tell a nice break the ice line.
7) have empathy.
8) if its a small town your in, and you play a big sport (basketball or football) -- explain to them your late for a team meeting, game, or practice.
9) if they still are going to write you a ticket, don't say anything.

i have done those things, and have been pulled over for the following offenses, and received NO tickets *still have a clean record*: reckless driving, exhibition of speed and speed contest, speeding 85 in a 65, running a stop sign, speeding 54 in a 40, and about 6 other small speeding charges (10 or less.)

i have received a ticket for the following offenses and got a diversion *still have a clean record* speeding 88 in a 65, and running a stop sign, 53 in a 40...to date i have only received a ticket for those 2 offense, and that was years ago...the court system only cares about money so if you offer to pay them more *diversion*, they WILL keep it off your record *in most states*.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:43 AM

Sorry for the delay!

I waited until my father went to bed, maybe not the smartest idea but men, I just told my mom a little bit ago, we had a little bit of a talk.

Having an older brother who had a 25th anniversary trans am (who is a LOT more stupid then me), she kind of already went through everything.

She's going to call tomorrow and see what the fine is, and set up a court date. She was understanding but a little bit disappointed.

I know there's no excuse, but I had a long day that day, being home alone, taking care of my cat (my cat goes in and out at night, and the door was broken so I had to get up when it wanted to get in/out at least 10 times through the night), and I had a soccer recertification referee class from 9 am to 3 pm Then I had work at 5 pm which takes a half hour to get there. I basically had no sleep.

That isn't an excuse, but I was tired and I wanted to get home. She could understand where I was coming from, and I understood where she was coming from - being concerned. Hopefully they wipe away my points (the judge) and our insurance stays down. I have money saved from my job (I don't spend it on anything except for my phone bill / gasoline) so i'm paying the ticket no questions asked.

It went better then I expected. I guess I anticipated a lot worse.

Thank you everyone who offered suggestions - I read them all. Yes, honesty is the best policy.

Now... about that sprint booster!!! (Just kidding!).

Old 11-28-2006, 01:09 AM
Forum Regular

It's not over yet! Dad usually has the last say...
Good move on talking to your Mom first.
Right after you talk to your Dad, tell him you found
a sweet SRT6 for a great price. 'Dad it's a joke!!'

Old 11-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I applaud you for standing up and telling the truth!

Good luck!

Old 11-28-2006, 04:38 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
I applaud you for standing up and telling the truth!

Good luck!
I think we all (the forum) echo MMZ's comment, except DynamicS.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:24 PM

GO to Court, most jurisdictions, the judge is nice enough to not give you any points if you bother to challenge the ticket, and probably reduce the fine by half, even if you are found guilty or get probation before judgment. (What we have here in Maryland) Also, depending on jurisdiction, maybe a 50/50 chance that cop won't show, then you win. If you are busy with finals or something, request a postponement, increases your chance that police officer doesn't show up. Unfortunately, having a X-Fire increases the chances of being the one in the crowd who is ticketed.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: I finally got a ticket :(

Though it may be too late, have your parents read this forum thread.

That will show them you sincere concern on handling this situation.

Even if the court date is over now, still show them this thread.

Hopefully they will see it as a sign of respect and, for age 17, some maturity.

If you ask me, you have handled the situation well, based on what I've read here... first page and last page.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by nox1s
well... it finally happened to me. I got a ticket for speeding. 10 over.

Was on my way home from work (late at night) and I just wanted to get home and go to sleep. Was going 55 in a 45 zone, I was in a "pack" of cars all going the same speed. Stopped at a light with all of them then all of the sudden I see lights flashing behind me.

This really sucks.

Paying the ticket I could handle, just telling my parents, and raising the insurance I can't. They told me if I ever got a ticket they'd take my car away...

Anyone have any advice on how I should tell my parents? They're in vegas and won't be home till monday so I have some time.
Go to court, request a trial, have the officer to come to court. 75% of officers that give speeding tickets will not come to court. They hate it, and some don't get paid for it. The judge will have to dismiss your case, worst case if the officer shows up you will have to pay if you lose. Unless it was a traffic officer, i.e motorcycle, highway patrol, or state patrol, they usually always show up to court, that is part of their jobs. Hope this helps, dad was a patrol officer for 20 years, great info for me, and it worked for me too.