Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

What should I do? (headlight condensation & dealer)

Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do? (headlight condensation & dealer)

I purchased my Crossfire used in February and ever since than the passenger headlight had been getting a lot of condensation when it rained heavily or when I washed the car. The headlight also has a problem that the adjuster does not work, I can't aim the headlight and its aimed pretty low.

In April or May I took the car to the dealer for an oil change and had them take a look at it and mentioned there was a TSB for this problem. They said they would order a new headlight, I was happy since it would also fix the "other" problem. During that period I had HID's installed. 2 months later the headlight arrived. I scheduled an appointment, had to rent a car and dropped the car off.

I got a call from the dealer telling me that they would not put the headlight in because there was a TSB for it, in which parts would be installed to vent the water. He also mentioned that the HID's could be the problem since the rubber piece had to be cut for the wires to go through it. I was furious and gave the guy a nice talk since I had to get up 2 hours earlier to drop the car off and get a rental, which I paid for.

Now I have to wait for the TSB parts to come in and nothing is done after 3 months of waiting for this.

Meanwhile I had purchased an extra passenger headlight on ebay and now I don't know what to do.

Should I take it to my body shop and have them install the headlight and than take it to the dealer for the TSB fix whenever the parts come in?

Should I contact Chrysler Customer Service as an irate customer and demand a new headlight since I was promised one? Frankly the headlight no longer looks very good since it's stained from the water inside.

Any other suggestions will be greatly welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: What should I do? (headlight condensation & dealer)

In the strictest terms of the warranty they do not have to replace your headlight since you installed HID's and "voided the warranty" ... I would re-install the OEM bulbs and take the car to another dealer and hope they didn't put a note in the computer system with your VIN # ...

Old 07-31-2007, 11:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDP
In the strictest terms of the warranty they do not have to replace your headlight since you installed HID's and "voided the warranty" ... I would re-install the OEM bulbs and take the car to another dealer and hope they didn't put a note in the computer system with your VIN # ...
I agree with this, and think you sort of screwed yourself a little by installing the HIDs when you had a known issue with the headlights and were waiting for warranty replacement parts to come in. Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's very difficult lately to get the dealers to replace the headlamps. In fact it was noted in another thread that the service managers are being paid by Chrysler to turn down warrantee work.

I don't have the headlamp condensation problems that you do, but I do have the micro cracking of the exterior headlamp covers. I managed to get the dealer to replace one about 6 months ago, then my passenger headlamp started to disintegrate. I took it into the dealer last week, and they said that there is nothing wrong with it, and that it's still functional. F-ing bast*rds I tell you they are! I will take the car to another dealer next week and see what happens, if I get the same ****, I'm calling corporate...

Damn GM doesn't treat their customer this bad. Anyways I'm over the crossfire, after I replace the headlamp I'm gonna get it detailed and cash it in for a down payment on a Black IS350.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: What should I do? (headlight condensation & dealer)

Originally Posted by Guzo
I purchased my Crossfire used in February and ever since than the passenger headlight had been getting a lot of condensation when it rained heavily or when I washed the car. The headlight also has a problem that the adjuster does not work, I can't aim the headlight and its aimed pretty low.

In April or May I took the car to the dealer for an oil change and had them take a look at it and mentioned there was a TSB for this problem. They said they would order a new headlight, I was happy since it would also fix the "other" problem. During that period I had HID's installed. 2 months later the headlight arrived. I scheduled an appointment, had to rent a car and dropped the car off.

I got a call from the dealer telling me that they would not put the headlight in because there was a TSB for it, in which parts would be installed to vent the water. He also mentioned that the HID's could be the problem since the rubber piece had to be cut for the wires to go through it. I was furious and gave the guy a nice talk since I had to get up 2 hours earlier to drop the car off and get a rental, which I paid for.

Now I have to wait for the TSB parts to come in and nothing is done after 3 months of waiting for this.

Meanwhile I had purchased an extra passenger headlight on ebay and now I don't know what to do.

Should I take it to my body shop and have them install the headlight and than take it to the dealer for the TSB fix whenever the parts come in?

Should I contact Chrysler Customer Service as an irate customer and demand a new headlight since I was promised one? Frankly the headlight no longer looks very good since it's stained from the water inside.

Any other suggestions will be greatly welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
My McCulloch 6,000k HID Kit was installed by my Dealer without cutting anything or without issue. I was told by the Service Writer and the Service Manager that since they did the install the warranty would not be voided on my headlamps.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:40 PM

I have a '04 and i just took in the car for this problem in the drivers headlight. I have been told they are only putting in a kit not replacing the assy.These are the stock head light assy.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:17 PM

Problem solved for those interested. I had the headlight I had bought from ebay for $80 bucks and took it to my body shop, they polished the headlight, swapped it out and voila, no more condensation and I can adjust the beam now. I feel my dealer could've helped me a bit more since their mistake cost me time and some money so does anyone know of a good dealer in Northern New Jersey?