Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

P0341 Camshaft postition sensor bad?

Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0341 Camshaft postition sensor bad?

A couple of months ago, on rare occasions my Xfire wouldn't start after it got hot. It has gotten to the point that it does it almost every time now, and it take 3-5 tries before it starts. It turns over, but does not start up. I've read about the cam and crank shaft sensors and i want to make sure I replace the right one. I do have a P0341 (CAMshaft) code stored, but I read the crankshaft code clears after it starts. Does anyone know if the camshaft sensor will cause the car to crank but not start, or is that only the CRANKshaft sensor? My check engine light has been on for over 40k miles due to the "secondary air" BS, so it's hard to tell when it comes on for something else. Thanks for opinions!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: P0341 Camshaft postition sensor bad?

I haven't have to replace this on my Crossfire yet but did have to replace the crank sensor on my ML320 (same engine). While the check engine light would clear the code was still stored on my ML320. If you are getting camshaft code I would start there and it is easier to replace than the crank sensor. It is on the front of the engine near the dip stick. It is a very similar sensor to the crank sensor but doesn't seem to fail as often as the crank sensor.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:52 PM
TVT_DESIGN

Camshaft sensors are a more common failure on the M112 engines. The symptoms you are saying are in line with a sensor failure. Usually if the crankshaft sensor is going out you will be driving and then it will just die. The sensor dies gradually.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:10 PM

Yes It Can Be The Camshaft Sensor Same Symptom Replaced The Camshaft Sensor Been Ok Ever Since

Good Luck

Old 05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are lucky becuase the cam sensor is really easy to replace!

Old 05-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Just replaced mine a few weeks ago Advanced auto hooked onto my sys. at no charge and the cps sensor was about 90 bucks I think.
there is a small heat shield guarding the sensor dont bother taking it off, I just bent it over a little and bent it right back.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all! I own a 2004 Crossfire at ~51,000 miles. I've had the check engine light on for some time and recently my car had trouble starting. I got the code P0341 and it appears to be the CAMshaft position sensor and I've read descriptions of problems with the camshaft and it sounds identical. When I try to start my car, sometimes it starts fine but sometimes it cranks but doesn't start. It will eventually start, usually the 2nd time but its taken up to 3+ times to start it on a couple occasions. So I believe this confirms it is indeed the CAMshaft sensor.

Now I have a friend who works for Chrsyler and is going to get me the part at a discount but before I dive in I just wanted to know what tools I will need. I found the PDF for replacing this sensor in another thread but it didn't list any tools that would be required. I want to make sure I have all the tools required before I start so I don't need to run to the hardware store during the repair. Thank you very much in advance!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedar11
Hello all! I own a 2004 Crossfire at ~51,000 miles. I've had the check engine light on for some time and recently my car had trouble starting. I got the code P0341 and it appears to be the CAMshaft position sensor and I've read descriptions of problems with the camshaft and it sounds identical. When I try to start my car, sometimes it starts fine but sometimes it cranks but doesn't start. It will eventually start, usually the 2nd time but its taken up to 3+ times to start it on a couple occasions. So I believe this confirms it is indeed the CAMshaft sensor.

Now I have a friend who works for Chrsyler and is going to get me the part at a discount but before I dive in I just wanted to know what tools I will need. I found the PDF for replacing this sensor in another thread but it didn't list any tools that would be required. I want to make sure I have all the tools required before I start so I don't need to run to the hardware store during the repair. Thank you very much in advance!
All you'll need is a female Torx socket #E8 and a socket wrench that fits the socket.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
All you'll need is a female Torx socket #E8 and a socket wrench that fits the socket.
Thank you very much, cheers!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:00 PM

Hello once again! So I got the part and was trying to install just now when I ran into a problem. I removed the old sensor just fine and placed the new one in its place. Then as I tried to tighten the bolt it was going in at an angle....I took out the sensor and tried just the bolt and it kept doing the same thing, I didnt want to damage anything so I didn't force it but it was definitely not going in straight. I checked the threads on the bolt and they appear to be fine. How is this possible?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

A metal bolt going into aluminum threads doesn't take much to damage. And at the odd angle of this sensor, it would seem very easy to cross thread. In this case, the aluminum threads will loose everytime.

You may want to take the metric bolt with you to a local hardware store and purchase the correct tap or thread chaser. Then run the tap into the hole at the proper angle.

Good luck, James

PS Also I think the camshaft sensor doesn't go bad as ofter as the crankshaft sensor because of less heat. The camshaft sensor is open to the front of the engine. Where as the crankshaft sensor is sandwiched in a confined area between the exhaust and firewall.

Last edited by James1549; 09-28-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Hello once again! So I got the part and was trying to install just now when I ran into a problem. I removed the old sensor just fine and placed the new one in its place. Then as I tried to tighten the bolt it was going in at an angle....I took out the sensor and tried just the bolt and it kept doing the same thing, I didnt want to damage anything so I didn't force it but it was definitely not going in straight. I checked the threads on the bolt and they appear to be fine. How is this possible?
Did you start inserting the screw by hand originally?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Did you start inserting the screw by hand originally?
Yes I screwed it in with my hand at first, then I used the wrench for maybe 1 full turn before I noticed it was at an angle. What if the aluminum threads on the engine block are damaged? What is the worst case scenario here?

Last edited by Cedar11; 09-28-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
A metal bolt going into aluminum threads doesn't take much to damage. And at the odd angle of this sensor, it would seem very easy to cross thread. In this case, the aluminum threads will loose everytime.

You may want to take the metric bolt with you to a local hardware store and purchase the correct tap or thread chaser. Then run the tap into the hole at the proper angle.

Good luck, James
I should have read this post first. After a little research I believe thread chasers will clean up damaged threads where as a tap will remove material? So a thread chaser is what I should be looking for?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 PM

I should have read this post first. After a little research I believe thread chasers will clean up damaged threads where as a tap will remove material? So a thread chaser is what I should be looking for?
No, a tap will only remove material that is in its way, so if there is a distorted thread in the hole it will cut it back to specification. Screwing a quality tap down a perfectly threaded hole will do no harm. I say this but it is possible to buy cheap taps that are oversize, under size or in some cases taps made for a different class of thread with tighter or looser tolerances. A quality tap will be all you need as the different class taps are specials and not to be found at the local store.
It is important to have the tap enter the hole squarely or you will be in a worse shape than you are now.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

In your particular case, either tool will achieve your goal here. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
James

Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 PM

So a week later I decided to try to screw the bolt it in one more time to make sure the threads were damaged before I went out to buy a tap. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before but the bolt went in perfectly straight this time around with no problems, this was 2 nights ago. I started the car 2 times and it started just fine, maybe it cranked a split second longer than I was used to but I thought I was nitpicking and was pleased that the problem was fixed. The next morning, it definitely cranked longer than usual but started. I drove it to school and after class it started normally. This morning it once again started normally, however, when I got out of class it nearly didn't start once again! Two times it cranked for 2-3 seconds without starting and it finally started on the 3rd (maybe 4th) time! The check engine light is on once again. Im going to have the error code checked out tomorrow.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 PM

So I just ran to auto zone to get the error code checked out, its still throwing the camshaft PS code...what are the chances the part was defective? I actually ended up buying the part from auto zone since it was the cheapest price ($120+tax) and the guy working there said I would have to order the same part and if it ended up fixing the problem, that I could return the other part and could get a refund. Seems kind of odd to me. What if it doesn't fix the problem? Then I have bought 2 sensors and my car still has trouble starting...I guess I have no other option though.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Unhappy Re: P0341 Camshaft postition sensor bad?

my '04 crossfire is having trouble starting almost every time it is turned but will always eventually start. autozone did the check engine light diagnosis and told me it was the camshaft position sensor. today I replaced the camshaft sensor with a new one & my check engine light went away and my car was starting great. about 5 hours later the check engine light is back & my car is back to having problems starting. ANY IDEAS????
jennifercandace1@yahoo.com

Old 11-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is probably the Crankshaft Position Sensor... located on the back of the engine, drivers side.... it works with the Camshaft sensor and gives the same symptoms.... engine cranks but wont start... usually you get a CEL and a P0335 code.....

It is a pretty easy DIY fix.... here is a link that has pics and instructions....

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...on-sensor.html

Last edited by MikeR; 11-10-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: P0341 Camshaft postition sensor bad?