Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Throttle Body Reset?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Throttle Body Reset?

Reset mine outside the Mexican restaurant that I ate at 11:45 this morning. Mine is a daily driver, and I encounter a lot to stop & go traffic. My 6 speed black base coupe was starting to feel a little doggy, therefore prompting the reset today.
On the drive back from lunch a few minutes ago, barked the tires shifting to second. Drove like a mad man down the side streets to the office. The reset WORKS !!! I will probably reset at least twice a month from now on.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:08 PM

i installed sprint booster today <3 it. then i read on here i should reset throttle..
so i reset and fricken check engine light comes on is this normal?. I don't have my code reader at work to check code.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 6ʇɹsǝɹıɟssoɹɔ
i installed sprint booster today <3 it. then i read on here i should reset throttle..
so i reset and fricken check engine light comes on is this normal?. I don't have my code reader at work to check code.
I had the same issue. Do you have throttle control? If not, you have the plug on backward. If you have throttle control, which I did have, but I did have the CEL. I disconnected my negative side of the battery for 1 hour, re-connected and that cleared the CEL.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM

k u confuzzled me the plug only goes on one way.. /shrug ill read cel when home an reset see what happens

Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 PM

I don't mean to dig up an old thread but this seemed like a solid throttle reset discussion. I've talked about doing this before as I just bought my 07 from a woman that used the car as her "around town" car. After reading this, it sounds like her around town driving could be why I feel like the car is so underwhelming for me. However, I do have a question. Since I just disconnected my battery to remove the RCM and repair it, do I need to go through the procedure or did disconnecting the battery do that for me already? I had the battery disconnected for a few days since I sent my RCM to tighed.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 PM

if ya drove it like ya stole it after you reconnected battery should have reset. if ya didnt then i would redo procedure.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 6ʇɹsǝɹıɟssoɹɔ
if ya drove it like ya stole it after you reconnected battery should have reset. if ya didnt then i would redo procedure.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to have it out yet being that it's been cold as hell here in Michigan. Definitely excited to see the difference when I do get to take it out.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wpetraska
Since I just disconnected my battery to remove the RCM and repair it, do I need to go through the procedure or did disconnecting the battery do that for me already? I had the battery disconnected for a few days since I sent my RCM to tighed.
How long was the battery disconnected?

I have been told (not entirely sure how accurate) that it needs to be disconnected for at least 30 minutes so it can reset. I used this procedure when I put my DCAI in and it served me well. I also use the key based throttle reset at least once a week (traffic) and I see a difference each time....

Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
How long was the battery disconnected?

I have been told (not entirely sure how accurate) that it needs to be disconnected for at least 30 minutes so it can reset. I used this procedure when I put my DCAI in and it served me well. I also use the key based throttle reset at least once a week (traffic) and I see a difference each time....
I had the negative battery terminal disconnected for about three days. The RCM was removed if that makes a difference but yea, three days.

I'm really excited to see a difference in this car. Now I just need the weather to cooperate.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:23 PM

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I don’t know if this is psychological or not! what I know is the car feels great and the tree cops that have stopped me this weekend for speeding can verify the car runs great!! LOL thanx for the great tip!![/FONT]

Old 12-31-2011, 02:41 PM

Is the best way to go about the reset to diconnect the negative battery terminal for atleast 30 minutes then do the procedure I have quoted here from earlier? Sounds like diconnecting the negative battery terminal helps make this reset more "complete." If the battery terminal is diconnected does the below procedure still need to be preformed?

1. Get in your car

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter
turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back
to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas
pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Drive the car as you always do.[/quote]

Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

6. Drive the car like you stole it. Or, it will learn you just want to putter around.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM

This may sound dumb but while waiting the 2 mins for the throttle to reset should the car ignition be on, off, or should i start the car then wait. Any clarity on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Completely turned off with key left in position.. I find while at the car wash.. wand spray type.. perfect time to reset..

Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Completely turned off with key left in position.. I find while at the car wash.. wand spray type.. perfect time to reset..
+1
Perfect! I do it then too!

Old 04-24-2015, 02:51 AM

I just got my XF like a month and a half ago. I am the second owner, never met the first guy, but I guess him and I don't drive alike AT ALL. I decided to try this and it was instantly more fun to drive. Man I love this forum already.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the X-fire for over 11 years now. Always wanted to do as much as possible myself, but have always been concerned that I may "mess it up" break something or simply not have the courage to give it a try. Well today I managed my first oil change.....it was harder getting the plastic under-tray off and on than actually changing the oil and filter. While I was in the engine bay I decided to change the coolant as well, better to do it on a warm dry day (those are few and far in the UK). Again no problems, so it has all gone well....I have just reset the FSS, again had to read the instructions a few times, but it now reads 10000, so I appear to have had a good day.

The car feels like it runs better, I know its just a feeling, but it's a positive feeling.

Now down to the real serious stuff "The Throttle Body reset". I have read the threads and this appears to be something that does make the car run better. I have read the instructions, but I do not have the courage to go ahead with it.

Can anyone please tell me what this reset actually does
Why is it required
and more importantly what can go wrong.....will i regret it, will I break it, if I break it can I fix it?

Many thanks
Mark

Old 08-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You will not 'break' anything with the TB reset.
The PCM has tables that tell it how to control the TB, aggressively or moderately or sedately.
It populates these table values after a reset by monitoring how you drive.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ala_Xfire

Before I jump in with both feet and do a TB reset, why do some "members" mention the battery? Is it a case of when the power is lost the system performs a default reset anyway?

Old 08-28-2018, 05:43 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by THETESTER
Ala_Xfire

Before I jump in with both feet and do a TB reset, why do some "members" mention the battery? Is it a case of when the power is lost the system performs a default reset anyway?
I would hardly say a throttle reset is jumping in with both feet, Just do it.
Frankly the throttle reset has minimal if any affect on the cars performance, some people say do this whenever a performance problem occurs. They reckon that the results are obvious in the seat of the pants ........yeah right.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-28-2018 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Reset?