Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Throttle Body Reset?

Old 08-28-2018, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Throttle Body Reset?

My advice to THETESTER is do it.

As ala_xfire said you don't break anything with the TB reset. You just set the TB back to its original factory settings - the PCM (computer) "learns" from your driving style and adjust TB response based on what it has "learned" about the driver's style since the last reset.

Whether you feel any difference from the TB reset or not will depend on how "sporty" you (or a prior owner) have been driving since the last reset.

I have reset mine probably a dozen times - most commonly after winter driving season is finished, winter tires are off and the summer tires are back on - sometimes after an extended period of in town slow stop and go driving - and have always feel a very noticeable boost in power.

I'm sure the PCM would have eventually "learned" my more aggressive summer driving style after a time - but why wait?

Old 08-28-2018, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts
Default Re: Throttle Body Reset?

I'm with Dave on this one. The "Throttle Reset" is way overblown.
All it does is erase the driving history George mentioned. Or so they say, anyway.

If you want to take some of the throttle response delay out, I think you will find that disabling the EGR valve does as much or more.
Mine froze in the closed position back in 2014 on the Graphite - I thought the better response was my imagination, but when I took it to a local garage to have the valve replaced, the guy said, "Now we will do this for $120 labor, but we won't listen to you if you say the car is less 'zippy'.

I asked him what THAT meant, he explained that having the EGR closed all the time meant that I effective had no EGR and had probably got accustomed to the faster response. He was right.
It was so noticeable, that I put an EGR cutout switch on the car a month later.

(Have not done that to the SE, as I don't want to drive it as hard as I did the Graphite.)

Old 08-28-2018, 10:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Throttle Body Reset?

Originally Posted by onehundred80

I would hardly say a throttle reset is jumping in with both feet, Just do it.
Frankly the throttle reset has minimal if any affect on the cars performance, some people say do this whenever a performance problem occurs. They reckon that the results are obvious in the seat of the pants ........yeah right.

When pulling out of my rural driveway onto the black top.. "x amount of pedal" would pull me out just fine.. after learning about and doing the reset that "x amount" was slinging gravel.. Disclaimer.. some may not have a clue as they don't transition from gravel to black top daily..

Dave.. are you implying the TB upgrade is bogus too since those are "seat of the pants" also?