Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire turns over but wont start

Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire turns over but wont start

I have a 2004 crossfire with 77,000 miles and when I try to start it, it turns over but fails to start or when it does start it begins to sputter and try's to die (sometimes it does) and when it is idling it sounds like it is misfiring; also when I press the gas pedal it will not raise the RPM's and begins to sputter also. I have replaced the fuel filter and pump thinking that was what was wrong. I also have to codes that show up P0175 and P0730. I have searched the forums and have found a lot of talk about the Crankshaft Position Sensor but it wont even crank after a full day of not touching it. I am leaning to my Ignition Coils and so is my mechanic. I need some help because the Crankshaft Position Sensor only cost $55 and the ignition coils are $1200. Has any one else had this problem and figured out what is going on.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire turns over but wont start

First you say it will crank but not start, then you say it won't even crank.

Your mechanic (it seems to me) should have measured the fuel pressure before replacing the pump (I guess replacing the filter is not a bad idea.)

I suppose it is a REAL long shot, but how old is the battery? Old batteries in these cars do WEIRD stuff.

This does NOT sound like a CPS to me, not at all, after what I have read and heard from others.

Now, why not try this:

Let me google that for you

Odd result, isn't it?

Try googling the OTHER code and you get a rich fuel mixture indication.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Why would you consider the ignition coils? The crankshaft position sensor controls when the coils fire so I would go with a new sensor first. Your first code deals with O2 sensors and MAF sensor. You may need to go there if the CPS doesn't fix your trouble. Your second code concerns the trans. Get the engine running properly first.

<< but it wont even crank after a full day of not touching it.>>

Not sure what you mean here. Please explain. Does your battery test good?

James

Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Kinda sounds electrical, doesn't it, James?

I really wonder about his battery - I bet it's WHITE!

EDIT DAMN, just thought of this... I had a Ford Ranger that acted a LOT like his car... it had a bad MAF and a bad (Oh, what was it? O2 or PCV sensor or SOMETHING. Turns out, one sensor had failed months before, when the MAF also failed, the PCM just didn't have enough information to run the engine.)

Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM

Mark, not being there it is all just a guess. Definitely load test the battery. I wouldn't rule out the CPS or the camshaft sensor. And as you said, why would you replace a fuel pump without checking pressures first? And for all the ignition coils to be bad, doubtful. One or two, maybe.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM

sorry about that should have been a little more specific about the crank and not crank, it takes like 3 to 6 try's to crank if I am lucky. When it cranks I am not able to drive it because of lack of power. We did test the pressure and all before replacing the fuel pump and filter before we changed them (pump was bad) but that didn't fix the issue. Battery is good. Also from what i have heard is the CPS goes out when it gets hot.

Last edited by texasboy_11b; 04-25-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had a similar experience with my Expedition with 150k+ on the clock and had to replace the ignition coils. 77k miles seams very early to replace them...especially on a Xfire.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Our point is, if you have good pressure, the filter and pump are ok. Easy (if you have the right tools/equipment) to rule out the filter/pump.

The odd codes REALLY bug me, reminds me of the Ford I was talking about where a sensor went bad and I ignored the light..... a few months later, the MAF failed and the PCM didn't have enough information to run the engine.

Again, HOW OLD IS THAT BATTERY?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by texasboy_11b
sorry about that should have been a little more specific about the crank and not crank, it takes like 3 to 6 try's to crank if I am lucky. When it cranks I am not able to drive it because of lack of power. We did test the pressure and all before replacing the fuel pump and filter before we changed them but that didn't fix the issue. Battery is good. Also from what i have heard is the CPS goes out when it gets hot.
And what was the pressure reading that caused you to replace the pump? And what was the reading after replacing the pump?

James

Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Administrator

I did not ask if the battery is GOOD, I asked how OLD is it?

TESTING these batteries has sometimes proven to be a waste of time, I KNOW it sounds nutty, but if that battery is old, and you are gonna throw PARTS at the problem, a good part to throw at it is a new battery.

I even ran into this iwth my Durango. Damn thing cost me 1 1/2 hours of labor and a TOW BILL. Fooled three mechanics..... then an old guy told 'em to replace the battery. Damn thing started and ran just fine!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Administrator

(The best questions come from James!)

On that note, time for my Japanese lessons.

You are in good hands with James.... so, G'night all!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 PM

Don't remember what he said the pressure was but it called for a new one. He tested it after we replaced it and said it was good. I just got the car a couple of months ago so I am learning about the crossfire as I go because all this is new to me . I wasn't aware that the CPS controlled the coils but I am aware now. Sorry but I am a NOOB.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got the car a couple of months ago so I am learning about the crossfire as I go because all this is new to me . I wasn't aware that the CPS controlled the coils but I am aware now. Sorry but I am a NOOB.

Well congrats on buying your Xfire! I have added you to The Official TEXAS member list . Sorry you're having problems with it but I highly suggest checking into Pizza's battery suggestion

Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Administrator

NOOBs are always welcome here!

In fact, I just put a flyer on a guys' Black Coupe yesterday telling him about this forum and the Fall Dragon.

It is kinda odd that you had poor pressure and now have good pressure and the car stilll won't run. VERY ODD.

Ok, back to my Japanese...

Old 04-25-2012, 11:04 PM

yeah what pizza guy said about the battery got me thinking and i took a look at it its only about 1yr old but I think I am going to replace it on the safe side and what James said about the CPS will have me replacing that part tomorrow. Hopefully that will take of the problem.

Last edited by texasboy_11b; 04-25-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

yeah what pizza guy said about the battery got me thinking and i took a look at it its only about 1yr old but I think I am going to replace it on the safe side and what James said about the CPS will have me replacing that part tomorrow.
CPS = Bosch brand... if you haven't caught that in other threads.
I ended up with an Advanced Auto (lifetime warranty at least) based on a need it now scenario.. but the Bosch is now in the net behind the drivers seat for if and when..

Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by James1549
Why would you consider the ignition coils? The crankshaft position sensor controls when the coils fire so I would go with a new sensor first. Your first code deals with O2 sensors and MAF sensor. You may need to go there if the CPS doesn't fix your trouble. Your second code concerns the trans. Get the engine running properly first.

<< but it wont even crank after a full day of not touching it.>>

Not sure what you mean here. Please explain. Does your battery test good?

James
If it was the MAF "shouldn't" it throw a code for both banks?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
If it was the MAF "shouldn't" it throw a code for both banks?
Yes it should throw a code for both, but one sensor could be more sensitive putting the measurement over the threshold for just that side.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 PM

So I finally figured out what was wrong with my crossfire. Today I went and got the CPS and was about to replace it when I had a little thought in my head said "Hey why not hook the fuel pressure gauge up again and see what it says." Lord behold WTF did it say 15PSI. Turned out it was my fuel filter that I just replaced. I was kicking myself in the a** for not checking it sooner. So a lesson well learned, even if you replace something its not a bad idea to triple check every thing but I did keep the CPS just in case of one day. NOOB learning as he goes here. Thanks for all your guys help.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:57 PM

hi mate
I replaced the CPS and got the RCM re soldered and checked. However it still cranks over and the key stays in the crank position and I need to manually turn it back.
I was hoping I had fixed it but pleased I followed your advice to eliminate issues.
It had been sitting awaiting the CPS to arrive and when I started it it fired and then died, and now just cranks over.
I am wondering that if I wait it will start ie like a fuel issue? I smell fuel after cranking over for a while.
thanks again for helping this Kiwi

Quick Reply: Crossfire turns over but wont start