Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New Xfire Owner and New to boards

Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: New Xfire Owner and New to boards

Originally Posted by Evoryan
Well im going to look into it i just dont understand the lack of aftermarket for this car.
Think it's pretty simple to be honest. Low production numbers. Fairly complex car which is going to lead to extensive R&D for developement of performance parts, so basically dollars invested vrs the net return don't make it feasable when the same attention to a Honda platform nets a greater profit.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Administrator
Received 887 Likes on 691 Posts

Yeah any help would be great... as far as a goal goes i would like to get it up to SRT stock power with just bolt ons No major power adders.
Why did you not just buy an SRT?

So your saying i need luck with adding 100hp to a car ... ? I did about 5 mins of research and it looks like for fairly cheap you can have a 260ish HP n/a xfire. im sure there is more power to be found... especially when "tuners" are barley into the 11's with your SRT cars. Someone is missing something Sir.
260ish, sure. I suppose with a CAI and tune you can do that. The N/A is supposedly 215 HP, but in the SLK the engine is rated at 230 HP. Another 30 HP is certainly possible, many have done THAT!

But 100 HP? You would be the first to succeed and one of many who have "tried" (on one level or another). I'd bet money against you, but carry on, GraphiteGhost added about 12 HP with no expense but his time. Many told him he was nuts, but he was exonerated.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=pizzaguy;672330]Why did you not just buy an SRT?

Im not in my 50's and Ins and payments on 2 sports cars is mortgage worthy... I am an enthusiast at my core I can promise you that.

I also have good friends in the right places.
Fabricators and engine machinists... and they are just as car nuts as I.
so between my ridiculously high ins premiums and my bills ill see if i can do some proving wrong of my own.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:19 PM

[QUOTE=Evoryan;672333]
Originally Posted by pizzaguy

Im not in my 50's and Ins and payments on 2 sports cars is mortgage worthy... I am an enthusiast at my core I can promise you that.

so between my ridiculously high ins premiums and my bills ill see if i can do some proving wrong of my own.
Let me know how it goes. I am in search of power for mine as well. I just bought my 05 yesterday. I am always looking to go faster and am only held back by my wife and my wallet, lol. Feel free to share anything you figure out. So far, looking at MAF screen removal, elbow debaffle below MAF, single CAI, new muffler (or cheaper modify stocker, still looking for info on this, lol), Eurotune. With this 6 speed car, hoping to have a bit more power and fun with it. Let me know if you see anything else to try first. Everyone feel free to chime in if I missed anything. I hope to get to know everyone here. Oh, and in Oklahoma here. Thx/// Chuck

Old 05-13-2012, 11:21 PM

Will do meeting up with fab guy this week to see what we can do to her =)

Old 05-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Frist of all Welcome From just south of you in Lexington Ky , You can bump the hp up to about 260 like you said , The turbo is coming along and i would say by this time next year there will be a kit that you will be able to get , not sure what kind of Hp you will get ,has far as SRt 6 hp HMMMMMMMM ! we will just wait and see, But welcome to best group of Crossfire nuts around, Injoy ,and have some fun ,

Old 05-14-2012, 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=Evoryan;672333]
Originally Posted by pizzaguy

I would think it wouldn't matter what you bolt on or machine out if you can't tune for it...(if your looking to add major HP)... might want to drop a toe off in that pool first.. Just saying.. and how fluent is your German?

Last edited by Mrmiata; 05-14-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 PM

[QUOTE=Mrmiata;672397]

I would think it wouldn't matter what you bolt on or machine out if you can't tune for it...(if your looking to add major HP)... might want to drop a toe off in that pool first.. Just saying.. and how fluent is your German?
Can i use google translate ? lol

Old 05-14-2012, 10:05 PM

[QUOTE=Evoryan;672452]
Originally Posted by Mrmiata

Can i use google translate ? lol
You betcha... but do yourself a favor before you decide this is a cakewalk.. spend the next month reading about attempts and failures.. might save you a couple of your own. Like I said.. getting them tuned is the brick wall for most. Even BEGi had an ordeal with it and Turbo charging and tuning is their paycheck.. not a hobby.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=Mrmiata;672500]

You betcha... but do yourself a favor before you decide this is a cakewalk.. spend the next month reading about attempts and failures.. might save you a couple of your own. Like I said.. getting them tuned is the brick wall for most. Even BEGi had an ordeal with it and Turbo charging and tuning is their paycheck.. not a hobby.
When in doubt go stand alone ?! MegaSquirt | Engine Management System | Electronic Fuel Injection - DIYAutoTune.com

Old 05-15-2012, 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=Evoryan;672625]
Modify a vett chassis and drop the body on top.. all sorts of go-fast options!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=Mrmiata;672629]

Modify a vett chassis and drop the body on top.. all sorts of go-fast options!
Not sure i understand ... i am simply talking about using available tools to get a job done its not swaping bodys or motors its just Ecu tuning...

If the issue is that the merc ecu is "too hard" to crack and or you need to wright software to get an open port to work just bypass the **** then. its not exactly an original idea.

www.MSruns.com • View forum - Daimler-Benz

heres a few working on benz stuff now

Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Well im going to look into it i just dont understand the lack of aftermarket for this car.
As quoted above, you have a lot to learn. So I will say this nicely. There are hours of reading on here. Just about everything you would want to know. Lack of mods, just might be because they aren't produced anymore, nor were they really promoted by their builder. Needswings, Eurocharged, are a few to seek out for modding and tuning. There are a few others as well, but these are the two I have used the most. Good luck, and welcome, but don't get off on the wrong foot, as there are years of knowledge here at your disposal.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
As quoted above, you have a lot to learn. So I will say this nicely. There are hours of reading on here. Just about everything you would want to know. Lack of mods, just might be because they aren't produced anymore, nor were they really promoted by their builder. Needswings, Eurocharged, are a few to seek out for modding and tuning. There are a few others as well, but these are the two I have used the most. Good luck, and welcome, but don't get off on the wrong foot, as there are years of knowledge here at your disposal.
I am not really sure what to say, not trying to get off on the wrong foot i merely stated a goal... I am going to do everything in my power to reach it using my own knowledge. That is what makes modding cars fun to me. Yes i know Needswings offers intakes/exhaust and eurocharged is offering what looks like a mild "mail in" tune Which i am sure are both great products. never said they were not. I am just not interested in Buying other peoples ideas rather I like to make my own. Better results or worse i made it myself.

Just simple questions asking what direction most people take their car in for first mods and just a comment on why there is not more of an aftermarket and now i am some how getting flamed a bit. NOT my intention.

In conclusion i would still like to make 100hp on the N/A without a S/c or turbo. And I will be posting my progress / struggles if thats ok on your forum.....

Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, you knock yourself out. When you hit that brick wall, we will all still be here, making HP our way. There are some really great minds on here, who have done a lot with tuning, remapping, building aftermarket parts, and you refer to them as no big deal. We will all be waiting for your turn with the latest break through for making HP. Especially a 100 hp in an N/A. I have seen that figure in an N/A. Let's see if you figure that out. Good luck.... Back to the other threads....

Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=Evoryan;672630]

Not sure i understand ... i am simply talking about using available tools to get a job done its not swaping bodys or motors its just Ecu tuning...

If the issue is that the merc ecu is "too hard" to crack and or you need to wright software to get an open port to work just bypass the **** then. its not exactly an original idea.

www.MSruns.com • View forum - Daimler-Benz

heres a few working on benz stuff now
My bad.. was off on a "good enough for Chrysler to do it " tangent.. Since the body is really what makes it a Crossfire..

Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 PM

I am not really sure what to say, not trying to get off on the wrong foot i merely stated a goal... I am going to do everything in my power to reach it using my own knowledge. That is what makes modding cars fun to me. Yes i know Needswings offers intakes/exhaust and eurocharged is offering what looks like a mild "mail in" tune Which i am sure are both great products. never said they were not. I am just not interested in Buying other peoples ideas rather I like to make my own. Better results or worse i made it myself.

Just simple questions asking what direction most people take their car in for first mods and just a comment on why there is not more of an aftermarket and now i am some how getting flamed a bit. NOT my intention.

In conclusion i would still like to make 100hp on the N/A without a S/c or turbo. And I will be posting my progress / struggles if thats ok on your forum.....

Hey we're all for inovative ideas, and love the little mods that do pop up here and there. Think its the "easy peasy" ... shall we say arrogance... that comes off through text messages.. There are V8 swaps - turbo attempts.. etc. logged in the pages of this forum, and not attempts by backs woods hoist in a tree mentallities ... Just saying you might tweak your approach and I'm sure you can find plenty of members willing to help with what they know when you do want to just slam your head in the hood.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:00 PM

He may be onto something. Sometimes, it's the new, fresh look at a problem that solves it. Instead of telling him how bad he is going to fail, why not wish him the best of luck and ask that he keep us "in the know" on his progress, both good and bad? I am sure that there are many smart people on this board, but who's to say that this guy may know something other's don't or just get plain lucky and stumble onto something. After all, most inventions are done by dumb luck rather than trial and error. More power to you...good luck, and I hope you get her worked out for the sake of X-fire owners everywhere. BTW, arrogance, IMO, sounds more like telling someone that they will fail at something before they have even made an attempt. Just my $.02

Last edited by gunner1374; 05-15-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: misspell, lol
Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Nice looking car you have!

Quick Reply: New Xfire Owner and New to boards