Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Paddle shifter install instructions completed

Old 03-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Paddle shifter install instructions completed

I installed the paddle shift kit today in one sitting I began with the steering wheel mod figuring that would be enough for the day. However, once that was done, I had a few hours to spare so I carried on to the finish.

The steering wheel was a breeze using Chris's instruction manual. The time consuming part has to do with the shifter assy itself. Just have to take the extra time to ensure everything works properly, using the test procedures. I was impressed at how the tiny pigtail install was professionally prepared and secured to ensure a trouble free operation for many years to come.

I put some wire loom on the two cables that come to the shift module to protect them from the sharp edges of the tcu/amp mounting plate. While I had the center councel out, I repaired the cup holder and reinforced the console rear mounts(broken plastic welds) with drilled holes and tiewraps. I scratched my head for a bit on how to take the shifter **** apart. The instructions didn't cover that. For those who are not familiar, the collar at the base of the **** has to be twisted(unscrewed) relieving the tapered collar(wedge), then pull the **** straight up.

The paddle shift install is a success! Soon to come is the TCU flash. Thanks Chris for a great mod that makes my hobby car that much special!

Turbomar

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0440.JPG (1.92 MB, 171 views)
100_0453.JPG (2.09 MB, 170 views)
100_0452.JPG (1.77 MB, 168 views)
100_0444.JPG (2.14 MB, 159 views)

Last edited by turbomar; 03-28-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by turbomar
I installed the paddle shift kit today in one sitting I began with the steering wheel mod figuring that would be enough for the day. However, once that was done, I had a few hours to spare so I carried on to the finish.

The steering wheel was a breeze using Steve's instruction manual. The time consuming part has to do with the shifter assy itself. Just have to take the extra time to ensure everything works properly, using the test procedures. I was impressed at how the tiny pigtail install was professionally prepared and secured to ensure a trouble free operation for many years to come.

I put some wire loom on the two cables that come to the shift module to protect them from the sharp edges of the tcu/amp mounting plate. While I had the center councel out, I repaired the cup holder and reinforced the councel rear mounts(broken plastic welds) with drilled holes and tiewraps. I scratched my head for a bit on how to take the shifter **** apart. The instructions didn't cover that. For those who are not familiar, the collar at the base of the **** has to be twisted(unscrewed) relieving the tapered collar(wedge), then pull the **** straight up.

The paddle shift install is a success! Soon to come is the TCU flash. Thanks Chris for a great mod that makes my hobby car that much special!

Turbomar
Nice work, Mario !!

aside from having the only Paddle equipped n/a crossfire in Canada .... It is quite likely that (not counting some installs that Rudy and I have done) you may very well hold the record for the fastest paddle kit install in the northern hemisphere !!

I am pretty sure the shift **** removal is covered in the first paragraph of section 6 of the instructions .... but if it needs to be clearer, please let me know.

I am curios to see Steve's instruction manual ("The steering wheel was a breeze using Steve's instruction manual".) .... are there details in there that I should ad to mine?

Chris

Old 03-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Chris. It's a Startech/Brabus wheel. They are no longer produced and the majority of the small quantity they made are in Europe. Price new was $1295. I was fortunate enough to find mine last year at a slightly lower price. They pop up on Ebay from time to time. I absolutely love it.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gr8len
Thanks Chris. It's a Startech/Brabus wheel. They are no longer produced and the majority of the small quantity they made are in Europe. Price new was $1295. I was fortunate enough to find mine last year at a slightly lower price. They pop up on Ebay from time to time. I absolutely love it.
It is really nice!!

For anyone hopping to find a similar wheel (though never as intrinsically cool as a real startech wheel) and not wanting to wait around for a real startech to show up. Ivan at DCT MS Products who makes some amazing custom steering wheels for sports cars (mercedes, porsche, etc) told me he would redo/rewrap a crossfire wheel so that it is gripped the same as a Startech wheel (and add the cut-outs for the paddles) for around $850. A little more if you want carbon fiber and/or a flat bottom.

an option some may want to consider,
Chris

Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by latemodel21
Nice work, Mario !!

aside from having the only Paddle equipped n/a crossfire in Canada .... It is quite likely that (not counting some installs that Rudy and I have done) you may very well hold the record for the fastest paddle kit install in the northern hemisphere !!

I am pretty sure the shift **** removal is covered in the first paragraph of section 6 of the instructions .... but if it needs to be clearer, please let me know.

I am curios to see Steve's instruction manual ("The steering wheel was a breeze using Steve's instruction manual".) .... are there details in there that I should ad to mine?

Chris
Hey Chris

Thanks for the compliment. I guess I missed the **** removal details. Sorry, I ment Chris's instruction manual. I am brain dead at times

Mario

Old 08-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are these kits still up for grabs?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:11 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FUBU

You mean that you have not done this yet??

Better get on it...........one of the best mods EVER!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed, this mod is must have!
Chris did an amazing job putting this kit together

Old 08-11-2012, 12:41 PM

What do you guys think I am trying to do ?
Better late then never, I just thought you guys would be the guinea pigs
The paddles, anyone know where to get them cheaply? any 25% offs ?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
You mean that you have not done this yet??

Better get on it...........one of the best mods EVER!
Hey thanks cousin Steve !
I know it may sound mildly disingenuous agreeing with you ...
and keeping in mind that I've had my paddle shifters for more than a year ... I have found in the last 4 months (since I finally broke the "10 & 2" habit and adopted the "9 & 3" grip) I like the paddles more every day ! I just tried an upgraded TCU recently ... and I have to say, I don't know how you could get the most out of one (particularly manual mode) without paddle shifters.

on a related note,
I am having DCT Motorsports make me a custom wheel . Ergogrips, and a mix of punched & nappa black leather with a little red leather (and red stitching) to tie it in with my black with red slk32 interior (in my new SLK32). I'll post some pics when I get it in the car.

Originally Posted by bruco1
agreed, this mod is must have!
Chris did an amazing job putting this kit together
thanks for the kind words ! However, from my perspective, it was more agonizing than amazing. My attention to detail has been my own undoing on this project. Grateful the demand slowed down after I built more than 40 kits (they take too much time to build). I currently have 6 ready to ship (make that 5, I need one for SLK32 (#3) that I just added to my stable). when those are gone, it may be a wait till I make some more. I've been busy making paddles available to the AMG 55 crowd (whose cars came equipped with buttons that require an electronic spoof in order to convert to paddles). A less time consuming product.

in case anyone is interested, here (below) is a 2 page blurb on this product that applies to most SL55, CLK55, E55, S55, and CL55 models made from 2003 through 2006.

Originally Posted by fubu
there are a few on the shelf .... shipping to sweden is $40, paypal fee is another 11 ... that makes the total $296. I don't know where you can get a good deal on the AMG paddles in your market. The best price here is $109. If you like, I can order an extra pair and send them to you for $120 (that seems pretty fair).

I SINCERELY hope that I have answered ALL of your questions FUBU (really ... )
Chris

Attached Images
page1.jpg (157.9 KB, 117 views)
page 2.jpg (186.9 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by latemodel21; 08-11-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 AM

chris with the sale of my slk32 i can honestly say this mod is the single mod i will miss the most!! power suspension color all kool things but the paddles gave me the most enjoyment . thanx for taking the time to do this.
btw any chance you could make me some paddles for my 6 speed 996 turbo?

Old 08-12-2012, 10:03 AM

pm sent to mr latemodel 21

Old 08-12-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by latemodel21
I just tried an upgraded TCU recently ... and I have to say, I don't know how you could get the most out of one (particularly manual mode) without paddle shifters.

Chris
had my TCU done as same time as paddles....Rudy talked me into it and no regrets!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:03 PM

Hi! Did PART A yesterday together with Silverarrow. I have to say it is a very well made kit.
Planning to do PART B tonight or tomorrow. Pictures coming up at that point. I can also mention that during the install these paddles did manage to get a ***** in my car!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by FUBU
Hi! Did PART A yesterday together with Silverarrow. I have to say it is a very well made kit.
Planning to do PART B tonight or tomorrow. Pictures coming up at that point. I can also mention that during the install these paddles did manage to get a ***** in my car!
Great teamwork bud. Hope that you finnish before I get back from vacation. Then its my turn

Old 08-31-2012, 05:13 PM

Trying to get hold of Latemodel21, anyone know his number?

Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=FUBU;694901]Trying to get hold of Latemodel21, anyone know his number? [/QUOTE

Hi Fubu,

I just pm'd you my number,
Chris

Old 09-01-2012, 02:26 PM

Awesome kit!

Old 09-01-2012, 02:42 PM

Sooooo, How did part B go?

Old 09-01-2012, 02:48 PM